Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle Height Formulas / Rules of thumb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle Height Formulas / Rules of thumb

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 06:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I had foot problems, and I saw a podiatrist. He told me to move my cleats back. It has helped a lot. I've never heard the term "toe dipper," and I suppose I was one of them. As a result of pedaling with my feet farther forward, I had to lower my saddle a bit.

There seems to be consensus that the ball of the foot should be over the pedal spindle, and it might be the most energy efficient position. The problem is that it can cause the kinds of injury I have, and it's permanent. I have painful bunions, and sometimes it impinges on nerves. So lately, some bike fitters recommend pedaling with the foot farther forward on the pedal. I used to see people pedaling with their arches and thinking they're uninformed and inexperienced. Now it's how I pedal, and it may be the healthiest thing, long term.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-24, 08:09 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
There seems to be consensus that the ball of the foot should be over the pedal spindle, and it might be the most energy efficient position. The problem is that it can cause the kinds of injury I have, and it's permanent. I have painful bunions, and sometimes it impinges on nerves. So lately, some bike fitters recommend pedaling with the foot farther forward on the pedal. I used to see people pedaling with their arches and thinking they're uninformed and inexperienced. Now it's how I pedal, and it may be the healthiest thing, long term.
If there is a consensus, it's not because of energy efficiency but because the cleat is really easy to place below the ball of the foot. You've got not one, but two markers to guide you in cleat placement so that's what's commonly done.

In terms of energy efficiency there are now more and more ultra distance riders who use more and more rearward cleat positions with some even opting to fully midfoot cleat positions. If you have your cleat under the ball of the foot, you'll need to recruit the calf to stabilize the ankle and foot. Moving the cleat backwards reduces the need for stabilization as there's less of a lever (foot) to contend with. None of the energy you spend to stabilize the foot and ankle is used to propel you forward.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-25-24, 08:37 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
If there is a consensus, it's not because of energy efficiency but because the cleat is really easy to place below the ball of the foot. You've got not one, but two markers to guide you in cleat placement so that's what's commonly done.

In terms of energy efficiency there are now more and more ultra distance riders who use more and more rearward cleat positions with some even opting to fully midfoot cleat positions. If you have your cleat under the ball of the foot, you'll need to recruit the calf to stabilize the ankle and foot. Moving the cleat backwards reduces the need for stabilization as there's less of a lever (foot) to contend with. None of the energy you spend to stabilize the foot and ankle is used to propel you forward.
Yeah, I slam my cleats fully back for endurance riding. Still nowhere near mid-foot, but as far as modern road shoes allow and some of them allow more rearward adjustment than was traditionally the case even a decade ago.
Old 03-25-24, 09:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Seat top is a rather vague location. Different seats sit differently in our crotches. A wide flat saddle will not sit as high as a narrow round top saddle for a rider with his hips at the same height.

The guide I use is knee bend because there is a place that is exact. The leg extension where I can either bend my knee or straighten it completely without lifting my heel. For me, placing my bare heel on the spindle of the upside down pedal and adjusting my seat to achieve that point is very close. Within 2-3mm. I have to go on rides and tweak with reference tape on the seatpost and a wrench to get closer. Most other people like their seats a touch higher - say wearing road cycling shoes or house slippers. Some in heeled leather dress shoes. Once you know your shoe, setting that seat height the first time around is easy. Plus this takes seat shape out of the equation. Yes, change seats and you have to run this again but you never have to try to decide where you should be measuring to.
Old 03-25-24, 09:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Seat top is a rather vague location. Different seats sit differently in our crotches. A wide flat saddle will not sit as high as a narrow round top saddle for a rider with his hips at the same height.

The guide I use is knee bend because there is a place that is exact. The leg extension where I can either bend my knee or straighten it completely without lifting my heel. For me, placing my bare heel on the spindle of the upside down pedal and adjusting my seat to achieve that point is very close. Within 2-3mm. I have to go on rides and tweak with reference tape on the seatpost and a wrench to get closer. Most other people like their seats a touch higher - say wearing road cycling shoes or house slippers. Some in heeled leather dress shoes. Once you know your shoe, setting that seat height the first time around is easy. Plus this takes seat shape out of the equation. Yes, change seats and you have to run this again but you never have to try to decide where you should be measuring to.
And where on the saddle to you to? And how do you define "top" if you're riding a "wave" saddle, vs a flat saddle? If you measure in line with the seat tube, then different seat tube angles will give different measurements, and that's ignoring bikes like the mid-90s Litespeed Ultimate where the seat tube is bent to allow shorter chainstays, so that the actual angle of the seat tube is quite different from the 73 degrees in the geometry charts. The same goes for some Cannondale frames where the seat tube is welded on forward of the center of the BB.

I ended up using a small board, which I place on the saddle so that the back end is at the rear of the saddle (which I define as the farthest back you can sit on it, and then there's an arrow marking the point on the bottom edge of the board that I measure to. On some wave saddles, the board is about 1/2 cm above the surface of the saddle at the point where I measure. On others, it's less and can even be touching. Using the board also helps level non-flat saddles better.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-25-24, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@elcruxio, good information! Thank you. I feel further reinforced.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-25-24, 06:30 PM
Sapper69
Brisvegas roadie

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9 (SRAM Red-22), 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0 (SRAM Red 10-speed mix), 2013 Pinarello FP Uno (Campagnolo Athena 11-speed), 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro (Shimano 105 10-speed), 2009 Colnago EPS (dream build, under construction!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Aeons ago I was shown the old school method of setting the saddle height so you could pedal with your heels on the pedal spindles with full leg extension (no knee bend), to get a good start point for the right saddle height, i.e. when you then clip in (I still like my cleats set up with the balls of my feet directly over the spindles), you get about the right amount of knee bend. Usually this gets me to within around a cm of the correct saddle height by 'feel' and whenever I've had a professional fit on a given bike it hasn't needed more than about a cm or so of adjustment either way at most.

Others in this thread have also posted some good observations about variables such as different saddle positions or heights for climbing etc. One good tip I had a few years ago was that if you're doing a lot of climbing, it's worth tilting your saddle forward by a couple of degrees rather than leaving it in the traditional flat/horizontal position, which obviously has a flow on effrct to saddle height among other variables. So there's more to consider than coming up with one correct number for every bike you ride in every situation.

In any case, if you do a lot of riding, even at a recreational level, it's always worth getting a professional bike fit after you've set up a new bike, adjusted it to 'about right' then put a few miles on it doing the sort of riding you want to do over the long term. Imho, regardless which method you use for an initial fit and setup, you'll always benefit from seeing a good bike fitter.
Old 03-25-24, 11:03 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A quick google return yields these 3 approaches for determining saddle height (snapshot below). Yes, I realize that these are starting points etc, but it's worth pointing out that, I actually get about the same yielded Saddletop to BB result with any of these formulas for my given inseam (84.5 cm)
Lemond: 74.6cm
Hamley: 92.1cm Saddle to Pedal spindle Minus 175mm crankarm = 74.6cm
Minus10: 74.5cm

All well and good -- seemingly pick your favorite method as they seem consistent to one another. However, my current saddle is sitting about 5 cms higher than these results at a bit over 79cm, and has been this way for a while. roughly a 2" difference seems like a lot. Anyone else this far off from what the formulas say? Wondering if having large feet (49eu) might be part of reason. None of the formulas speak to clipless cleat stack height, but I would assume they build in some type of average amount (seeing as cycling inseam is usually measured barefoot, right?

All of these “formulas” are just starting points from which to embark on your individual tweaking journey. If your current 5 cm off the formula works for you, so be it.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 03-26-24, 07:31 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I haven't been able to see any pro in the peloton that looks like they are full extending or reaching. But wadda they know?

​​​​​​What that might mean for anyone else I can't say. But 5cm is a WayBig dif from the "formulas" and I'm sure that if my saddles were that high I'd be on tip toes. But slammed stems and stratospheric saddles abound so collective biomechanical wisdom obviously doesn't have sway over style.
JMO of course. Ride whatever
Old 03-26-24, 11:57 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Those formulas are a good start for sure. I have run higher on clipless pedals and find it's easier to get more hamstring activation(for me), while lower and the quad get's more use.
I do run a little lower when I ride flats since I don't always run the ball of my feet at the spindle. Recently my dad had a calf injury and runs flats with the seat a little lower so he can put the pedal mid foot/closer to the ankle. Luckily this means he can change the stress on said calf by adjusting the foot location mid ride if required.
Old 03-26-24, 02:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I haven't been able to see any pro in the peloton that looks like they are full extending or reaching. But wadda they know?

​​​​​​What that might mean for anyone else I can't say. But 5cm is a WayBig dif from the "formulas" and I'm sure that if my saddles were that high I'd be on tip toes. But slammed stems and stratospheric saddles abound so collective biomechanical wisdom obviously doesn't have sway over style.
JMO of course. Ride whatever
5cm sounds like a lot. However, just a little going up on the ball of my foot, it really doesn't feel like much at all to bring my heel off the ground by 5cms

Maybe difference between the setups below from 2 randomly found internet photos?

Old 03-26-24, 02:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
... Saddle has been at this height for probably 10yrs+. No knee or leg pains, but just thought it curious that I have saddle set at such a different height than the calculators suggest. ... Will be trying a MyVeloFit soon. It'll be interesting to see what it comes back with.
Why fiddle with saddle position if it has been working fine for you with no issues for > 10 years?

Originally Posted by elcruxio
A few years back (or more than a few) there was a rider in the pro peloton who used an FSA prototype seatpost that had 10mm of adjustment in 1mm increments you could adjust on the go. I believe the seatpost was used to transition from climbing position to descend position. Basically a more accurate slightly slower dropper post.

I inquired from FSA whether they were bringing said seatpost out as a product and sadly they had no such plans. I would have loved that seatpost. ...
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That does sound very useful. I would actually be tempted by a lightweight Road dropper post for endurance riding, especially in the mountains. ...
A Shimano neural service bike, which is the prior version of Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, has a dropper post with 100 mm of adjustment.

A closer look at the Shimano neutral service bikes | GCN (globalcyclingnetwork.com)

So there should be a 27.2 mm dropper post that would work for you guys?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-26-24, 02:57 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Why fiddle with saddle position if it has been working fine for you with no issues for > 10 years?

A Shimano neural service bike, which is the prior version of Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, has a dropper post with 100 mm of adjustment.

A closer look at the Shimano neutral service bikes | GCN (globalcyclingnetwork.com)

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-27-24, 05:49 AM
PeteHski

Yeah I could fit this to my own Canyon and would be tempted if I was doing a lot of technical alpine descents. But I also appreciate the built-in flex of modern carbon road seatposts, especially my Endurace post with its leaf spring design. I suspect the mtb dropper post used on these Shimano bikes is a bit harsh in comparison to my Endurace post. But it makes perfect sense for their purpose.

If they design a road-specific dropper post with say 50 mm travel which retains the comfort of a fixed carbon post then I’m interested. Having the ability to fine tune saddle height and drop it 50 mm for steep descents would be really useful.
Old 03-27-24, 07:14 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
5cm sounds like a lot. However, just a little going up on the ball of my foot, it really doesn't feel like much at all to bring my heel off the ground by 5cms

Maybe difference between the setups below from 2 randomly found internet photos?

The second photo looks normal - slightly low heel and there is still some knee bend.

The guy's position in the first photo is a soup sandwich in most respects. But your heels are up that high?
Old 03-27-24, 10:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I have a very quick rule of thumb for saddle height. I put my arm pit on the saddle and see if the tips of my fingers reach the crank spindle. But I think the ratio of arm length to leg length is high on my body compared with most people. My fingers need to be below the spindle for the height to be right for me. Anyone want to test this theory?

Old 03-27-24, 03:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Yeah I could fit this to my own Canyon and would be tempted if I was doing a lot of technical alpine descents. But I also appreciate the built-in flex of modern carbon road seatposts, especially my Endurace post with its leaf spring design. I suspect the mtb dropper post used on these Shimano bikes is a bit harsh in comparison to my Endurace post. But it makes perfect sense for their purpose.
I suspect that almost all other seat posts would be harsh compared to your VCLS 2.0 seat post. Certainly those that weigh the same or less.

If they design a road-specific dropper post with say 50 mm travel which retains the comfort of a fixed carbon post then I’m interested. Having the ability to fine tune saddle height and drop it 50 mm for steep descents would be really useful.
Hmmm, a ThudBuster head on a dropper post sounds complicated and heavy.
Old 03-27-24, 04:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Kontact
The second photo looks normal - slightly low heel and there is still some knee bend.

The guy's position in the first photo is a soup sandwich in most respects. But your heels are up that high?
No, I don't think they are, but I've never videotaped a side-shot of myself. Though, eyeballing, that guy's heel I think is well over 5cm higher than the pedal, no? I think my knee bend though is closer to this photo. The first photo looks like very little knee bend to my eye.
Old 03-28-24, 06:58 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
@Sy Reene Thats not a good comparison IMHO. The first photo is an amatour cyclists tensed up and going in a straight line. The second photo is a pro coming into a left turn where he has most of the weight on the outside leg.
Likes For crazyravr:
Old 03-28-24, 07:41 AM
PeteHski

Hmmm, a ThudBuster head on a dropper post sounds complicated and heavy.
😂 That’s not what I had in mind. I was thinking that the dropper mechanism itself could have a limited degree of compliance from its set position. All the mtb dropper posts I’ve used have been super stiff, which is fine when you have 5” of rear suspension travel. But I want something a little more forgiving on an endurance road bike.
Old 03-28-24, 07:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by crazyravr
@Sy Reene Thats not a good comparison IMHO. The first photo is an amatour cyclists tensed up and going in a straight line. The second photo is a pro coming into a left turn where he has most of the weight on the outside leg.
Yeah, I doubt he’s even pedalling on that second photo. Looks like he is freewheeling through a corner.
Old 03-28-24, 09:09 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
As I mentioned above, the riders in the peloton (men and women alike) all exhibit very similar foot position and leg extension. And you may notice that they are a wide variety of sizes. I suspect that there may be a reason for the similarities in saddle positioning.
Old 03-28-24, 11:03 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
As I mentioned above, the riders in the peloton (men and women alike) all exhibit very similar foot position and leg extension. And you may notice that they are a wide variety of sizes. I suspect that there may be a reason for the similarities in saddle positioning.
Knee extension angles for optimal power have been pretty well established so you see a lot of those in the pro peloton.

Whether an amateur has the mobility to achieve said angles without restriction or issues is another discussion. I'd go as far as to state that many amateurs don't have the mobility to reach said angles with the reach and drop pros are riding.

But you really shouldn't go straighter knee than the established figures. I'd quote the actual angles if I remembered what they were or had the internet speed (I'm on a train) to look them up. I have a hazy recollection that it was around 25-35 (145-155) degrees but the range could be narrower than that.
Old 03-28-24, 04:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Found a Froome side photo