Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Ok..new project needs the right fit

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 03:55 AM
MMonde

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Hello..I am in the process of buildind a new bike..more in the preliminars..I now ride an old mountain bike with a rigid fork and road tires for commuting and even did a five days 400 km tour last summer,That old orbea measures about 21 inches(51cm +/-) seat tube and a tad under 22.5 or so top tube.I have 26" wheels on it and the top tube is just under my croach,not touching near the seat,and getting close in the front of the bike.It has a flat handlebar with end bars.I want a steel frame with a 1x11 transmition ,700 and perhaps drop bars,not sure..sort of a gravel idea..I was looking for a hand made steel frame probably size M or 52 and had the funds,but other projects were in the way and now im on a budget .Looking around i found a Ritchey Swiss cross frame,second hand for a good price,and being a Ritchey fan and having sold my old Ascent and missing it ,i naturally fell in love.The Swiss cross cantilever might not be the best frame for my touring do it all project,but its gorgeous..I mean its a CX frame..it is also an XS size..51cm top tube,and 48 cm seat tube (center to center).i am 172cm..5'9 ..a bit on the short size..not long legs either .but the SX frame seems quite tiny amd even Ritchey bikes told me its too small for a guy my size ..What do you think..I want the frame based mostly in looks !!!
Old 09-15-23, 06:25 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
It's too small.

And it is going to handle weird if you load it with paniers.
Old 09-15-23, 05:35 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
22.5 X 2.54 = ~57cm top tube.. Dropping to a top tube of 51 cm is not a small change. Agree with @Kontact, too small.
Old 09-20-23, 08:08 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Mountain bikes are generally made with longer front centers, to be used with short stems, for maneuverability and stability on steep downhills. At 5'9", your road bike size would be 52-55 cm, with a 53-55-ish top tube. If carrying loads, aim for the upper end of this range for stability.
Old 09-21-23, 11:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Do you know what fit you want on the bike? If you do, then it should be easy to draw out what you wish to do. If you don't know what sort of fit you like, you might wind up with something that fits you, but you don't like the fit it gives.

That's sort of many peoples downfall when the get a bike. They buy bikes that aren't made to give them the fit they want even though the bike can provide them a proper fit for their size.