Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bicycle problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 09:48 AM
pecan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle problems

Hi. I have a bicycle thats second hand. Now, it was running all fine, no problems. Then, my friend decided to pump the tyres (when it was read with the pressure gauge, it was low). Anyway, it was pumped. And after that, stuff started happening. First there started to be some clicking or sound from the back part (but this is not a big problem for me). The worst is that when I ride it, like 10 seconds after, it suddenly becomes a lot heavier to pedal, and it feels like something is pulling the bicycle from the back, and it makes a sound like a motorcycle engine or engine when I keep on riding it. I'm not sure at all whats happening. Especially because it happens a while AFTER i start riding, not directly. Is it because maybe it was pumped too much? (I have to check the psi on the tyre later and planning to deflate it a bit next week). Other parts seem to be working fine since before. The problem came ever since it got pumped.
Old 03-27-24, 09:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
There could be a multitude of different issues casing the additional resistance, and it's really hard to diagnose them based on your description. That said, it's unlikely that pumping the tires is the issue. Is a brake rubbing? When you are not riding, do the wheels turn freely/easily? Do the cranks turn freely/easily? Do the pedals spin freely/easily? It you don't have the knowledge to be able to identify where the issues are actually occurring, it might be worthwhile to take the bike to a proper bike shop and have them help you get things sorted out.
Old 03-27-24, 09:56 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by pecan
Hi. I have a bicycle thats second hand. Now, it was running all fine, no problems. Then, my friend decided to pump the tyres (when it was read with the pressure gauge, it was low). Anyway, it was pumped. And after that, stuff started happening. First there started to be some clicking or sound from the back part (but this is not a big problem for me). The worst is that when I ride it, like 10 seconds after, it suddenly becomes a lot heavier to pedal, and it feels like something is pulling the bicycle from the back, and it makes a sound like a motorcycle engine or engine when I keep on riding it. I'm not sure at all whats happening. Especially because it happens a while AFTER i start riding, not directly. Is it because maybe it was pumped too much? (I have to check the psi on the tyre later and planning to deflate it a bit next week). Other parts seem to be working fine since before. The problem came ever since it got pumped.
Sometimes, things happen at the same time that are not related. I just replaced the drum glides/bearings in my dryer because the old ones were shot and the thing was squeaking. The drier also sometimes doesn't get hot, or it will get hot and then turn off. This is a separate issue that just happened to happen the same week.
Old 03-27-24, 09:57 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
From the description, I suspect that the wheel is slightly loose and one side is being pulled forward by the chain. The noise is likely the tire rubbing against the frame.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-27-24, 02:20 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
OP: welcome to Bike Forums.

Photos of the rear of the bike (from both sides), the rear brake, and the crankset would help greatly in diagnosis. If there are any new or strange scuff marks on the rear rim or tire, a photo of those would also help.

Although you can't insert images into comments or post URLs until you have 10+ posts (anti-spam measure that works pretty well), you can upload photos to a personal album you create in your User Profile. If you do that and let us know here, someone will almost certainly post the photos on your behalf ("pic assist").
Old 03-27-24, 03:02 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Tires too big? Bearings too loose or tight? Badly needs grease? Brakes offset?

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-27-24 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-27-24, 03:21 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
From the way I read it, the cycle of 10 seconds of good riding followed by bad riding happens every time he gets on the bike.

Also worth noting that any used bike, especially one that sat for awhile, can potentially have a period of mechanical issues until you work out all the kinks.
Old 03-28-24, 08:17 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 966 Posts
Do you have any other information? A name brand, a product name, the type of parts.

Used bikes usually work just fine with oiling the chain and lubricant to various pivots, leading up to regreasing the bearings for complete rebuild.