Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to sport a cycling cap 101

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 07:13 PM
Highgear

Bikes: De Rosa Primato - LOOK KG281 - Somec Rex - Mondonico Monostay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I came across this. I found it amusing and at the same time totally agree with it. Something has been lost.

How To Wear A Cycling Cap | CyclingTips
Old 03-30-14, 07:49 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Wearing one in public can be goofy when not biking....unless it's the cab driver in Crocodile Dundee or Wesley Snipes in White Men Cant Jump.
Old 03-30-14, 08:05 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
I will admit, other than at cycling events, I will wear one while mowing the lawn. It keeps sweat out of my eyes.
Old 03-30-14, 08:24 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Wearing one in public can be goofy when not biking....unless it's the cab driver in Crocodile Dundee or Wesley Snipes in White Men Cant Jump.
Or my wife... She threw on one of my Campagnolo caps and it just worked. I'm guessing she will make habit of it.
Old 03-30-14, 08:30 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Or my wife... She threw on one of my Campagnolo caps and it just worked. I'm guessing she will make habit of it.
You just dont see that everyday.
Old 03-30-14, 09:07 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
i don't wear a helmet, but drivers and cops like to see something on my head. in this way, a cap legitimizes my existence. it says, this guy did not steal this bike; it is his bike; he rides it; everything is ok; nothing to see here.

i never wear it off the bike, unless i've ridden over to a friend's and my bare head would be more embarrassing on that particular hair day.

i hate it when i realize i've been riding with it crooked. it's hard to keep it straight. but, so it goes.

the old guy down at the little bike shop always wears one indoors, but he can get away with it, 'cause he's an old, intelligent, highly skilled and always smiling bastárd.
Old 03-30-14, 09:36 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I read those rules of cycling somewhere; they're all stupid and written for overly worried carbon riding fashion freds. The only rule you need to remember is that rules are made to be broken. I used to wear a cycling cap under my helmet, with the brim turned backwards. I liked them but the brims always seemed to cheez doodle on me after a few washings. I also have a head like a pumpkin and never found one that I thought fit very well (they were always riding up). Now I break another one of the rules... I wear a bandana under my helmet. I like them, they keep the straps from irritating the scar on my temple. If I had a nice winter style cycling cap, I would break another rule and wear it whenever and wherever I felt like it.
Old 03-30-14, 09:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I think that was Rule #22 .

I wore a cycling cap before I started racing. After that, I wore a helmet (yes, the hair net type as almost everyone did) or nothing up there.
I still have a few NOS ones about, set aside in zip-locks.
Old 03-30-14, 10:09 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Anyone with a large size (size 60+) and bigger head knows that a cycling cap just looks silly no matter how you put it on or how awesome the graphics are on it....
It will always look like you stole it from a child....

Last edited by Chombi; 03-31-14 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-30-14, 10:28 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
I'll wear a cap if I want to or not and some pompous cycling site dictating what's cool in cycling and what isn't won't stop me! Once I saw the Rapha photos it lost me completely. I think I vurped whiled reading it.
Old 03-31-14, 05:15 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
With a risk of sounding a little sketchy.... they look great on women, as do welding caps. I don't know why, and I'm not going there, not on this forum, anyway. ("no, no, no, leave the glasses on.....")

A MaryElizabeth cap and one of my old Amoco shirts with my name on it.....heh heh...or a Packer sweatshirt....

Long winter.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-01-14 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 05:32 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
I'll wear a cap if I want to or not and some pompous cycling site dictating what's cool ......
I've enjoyed that V site for years now and I'm convinced that they are the opposite of pompous - the are poking fun at themselves and each other all the time and are not taking themselves TOO seriously. I really like the tongue-in-cheek, wink wink, nudge, nudge approach. Funny stuff. Other that Rule V (which I think is good advice) it all seems like silliness, intended as silliness. Serious commitment to cycling but wrapped in silliness to maintain a balance. OK! In any endeavor people can get over torqued over things without a good mix of fun and silliness.

And I happily wear a ball cap all the time due to sun glare on these old eyeballs and keeping sweat out of my eyes. I have two caps that I use and they rotate thru the wash as the brims turn white from salt deposits. When I do ride public roads I wear the helmet but have rigged a ball cap brim up under the front. Even those 'for appearances only' brims on Mtn bike helmets are of little use. I'm all into function now, well at the expense of form. Too old to worry about what other folks think.

I suppose a traditional cycling cap WOULD be helpful for holding the BB parts and loose bearings during an overhaul. Maybe I should go get one. Can I actually go get a painters cap and pretend**********?
Old 03-31-14, 06:41 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
I wear a cap under the helmet on cold days. And flipping the brim down when you're riding into the sun works great.
Old 03-31-14, 06:47 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
I wear a cap under the helmet on cold days. And flipping the brim down when you're riding into the sun works great.
I still have my wool Winter cycling cap I bought new in 1975. Folding down the ear flap on a cold morning sure is helpful.
Old 03-31-14, 07:10 AM
OldsCOOL

I gotta get me one of these. All the cool guys with Italian bikes had them back in '74. Can I get one with Team Murray on it?
Old 03-31-14, 07:25 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I don't know, I think the guy on the right knows how to wear a hat.
Is a beret a hat?

but I would much more admire women wearing hats.
Old 03-31-14, 08:09 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I read those rules of cycling somewhere; they're all stupid and written for overly worried carbon riding fashion freds. The only rule you need to remember is that rules are made to be broken. I used to wear a cycling cap under my helmet, with the brim turned backwards. I liked them but the brims always seemed to cheez doodle on me after a few washings. I also have a head like a pumpkin and never found one that I thought fit very well (they were always riding up). Now I break another one of the rules... I wear a bandana under my helmet. I like them, they keep the straps from irritating the scar on my temple. If I had a nice winter style cycling cap, I would break another rule and wear it whenever and wherever I felt like it.
I think that you are missing the point of The Rules. They are are all written with tongue firmly in cheek.

Lighten up!
Old 03-31-14, 08:30 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Cap etiquette? I'm pretty proud of myself when my socks match!
Old 03-31-14, 08:45 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
In high school in the '70s, Back before I got a helmet, I wore a ivory-colored Kangol 'Tropicap' English driving cap. Then I got a tweed one. It'd even be on my head when riding my motorcycle. I used to get razzed about it constantly. I still wear driving caps, but lined leather ones now since I don't have the 'insulation' on top of the ol' noggin any more.

The top of my head sweats a lot, so in addition to my helmet I usually wear a sweatband when riding in warmer weather to keep it out of my eyes.
Old 03-31-14, 01:13 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I've always hated to wear any kind of headgear. it makes my head feel hot and itchy. I finally broke down and bought a Berne helmet at my wife's urging, but I don't know if I'll ever wear it. Cycling caps look ridiculous on me because I have one of those 60+ heads that Chombi spoke of.

I was constantly being told to put on my "cover" when I was in the military.

Now that I'm 67, I know that people will automatically assume that I'm trying to hide a bald spot if I cover my head. I'm not. I don't have one, but I check the back of my head often.
Old 04-01-14, 02:56 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Me too!

[QUOTE=Now that I'm 67, I know that people will automatically assume that I'm trying to hide a bald spot if I cover my head. I'm not. I don't have one, but I check the back of my head often.[/QUOTE]

Me too about the age but I'm totally hair uncovered and I always wear a hat. Has nothing to do with appearence concerns but for warmth in the winter and sunburn in the summer. I once forgot to wear a hat on a hot summer day and received a nasty sunburn on the noggin. After the pain went away, the peeling started and it looked like I had terminal dandruff for days afterwards.

And yes I do wear my cycling caps around the homestead, but never in public. I'm too old to get into fights when someone makes a nasty comment about how I look.
Old 04-01-14, 05:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I was constantly being told to put on my "cover" when I was in the military.
Me, too. I didn't even like the steel pots, even in necessary situations.

In the last few months, I've learned to wear ball caps and stocking caps, have yet to embrace the cycling cap look, though I really like some of them. I don't like helmets at all, but I wear them.
Old 04-01-14, 05:55 AM
Highgear

Bikes: De Rosa Primato - LOOK KG281 - Somec Rex - Mondonico Monostay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a shot of Cyrille Gumard and Thevenet looking vogue in his cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
IMG_29426900660945.jpeg (39.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg
1970 Thevenet - 01.jpg (66.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Highgear; 04-01-14 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 07:54 AM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
It will always look like you stole it from a child....
Old 04-01-14, 08:14 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I donīt put much stock in the opinion of those Velominati. All the gear yet no idea, these guys. But I really like my Campagnolo cycling cap because the inner fred must be fed. Havenīt tried @thirdgenbird 's suggestion of trying it on the missus, but I think it will look much better on her than on my ugly mug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.