Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Group Ride Today...Anxious

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 06:00 AM
Sol588

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Worked all year for this day. Heading out this morning on my first group ride. Plan is to do 48 miles. I've been up since 4:30 this morning thinking about the ride, my stuff, what ifs...

I really hope I don't get dropped but riding friends have told me I am ready. We'll see.
Old 12-12-15, 06:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22615 Post(s)
Liked 8,941 Times in 4,166 Posts
Enjoy it! Google group ride etiquette for dos/don'ts.
Old 12-12-15, 06:19 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
You'll be fine - don't overthink it.
Old 12-12-15, 07:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
I find group rides make the miles pass more quickly because there's more to think about and pay attention to. I do most of my rides in a group and love it, but solo is appreciated too for its unique attributes.

Let people in the group know it's your first time out, and almost certainly they'll look out for you and clue you in on the particularities of how their group rides together.

you're gonna love it, I bet!
Old 12-12-15, 07:21 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will be fine as long as you understand that group riding is impossibly difficult, takes years to master and only works if everyone yells at each other because it truly is a matter of life and death.
Old 12-12-15, 09:02 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
You will be fine as long as you understand that group riding is impossibly difficult, takes years to master and only works if everyone yells at each other because it truly is a matter of life and death.
This was probably meant to be a joke, but there is a little truth in there.

Don't get upset if someone overreacts about something you did wrong. Riding fast, at close quarters, can become dangerous quickly when people make mistakes, and sometimes people yell less than helpful comments in that dangerous moment. If that happens, don't take it personal, and ask about after things cool off.
Old 12-12-15, 09:05 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is true especially if you are a natural crybaby with thin skin and an aversion to direct, constructive criticism.

OP, have fun. Group riding brings a social dynamic to riding that many of us love and you might too.
Old 12-12-15, 10:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
You'll be fine - don't overthink it.
This.
Old 12-12-15, 10:13 AM
bruce19

It figures......Jersey boy. (Hackensack HS class of '64 here)
Old 12-12-15, 10:15 AM
bruce19

Knowing what I now know about group riding I would find some of the seasoned riders and tell them this was my first group ride. I would also ask that they feel free to give me advice on the ride.
Old 12-12-15, 11:32 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
This is true especially if you are a natural crybaby with thin skin and an aversion to direct, constructive criticism.

OP, have fun. Group riding brings a social dynamic to riding that many of us love and you might too.
describes me to a "T". ... we must have met.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-12-15 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 12:47 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It depends on the group and "class" of riders involved.
I did my first group ride this fall - about 40 miles. It was rated as "B-/C+ with hills". It was a loose group - nobody got dropped because at some intersections the front would stop and wait for the rest.
There wasn't a pace line, save for the end where about 4 of us sort of "sprinted" the last few miles. Honestly, I wouldn't even call it a pace line.

I'm sure many rides are much more tight. Do you have any idea the level or riders you will be with?
Old 12-12-15, 02:42 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Sol588
Worked all year for this day. Heading out this morning on my first group ride. Plan is to do 48 miles. I've been up since 4:30 this morning thinking about the ride, my stuff, what ifs...

I really hope I don't get dropped but riding friends have told me I am ready. We'll see.
So how did it go? If you made it longer than twenty minutes before getting dropped then you did better than me on my first group ride
Old 12-12-15, 07:36 PM
Sol588

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
So how did it go? If you made it longer than twenty minutes before getting dropped then you did better than me on my first group ride
It went great. As suggested in an earlier post, brushed up on my group ride etiquette beforehand and everything went well. Did not get dropped and stayed in the middle of the pack for most of the ride. Definitely looking forward to doing another ride next Saturday.

Definitely saw some great bikes out there today but, after today, feeling very happy with the bike I have.

Thanks for all the great suggestions this morning. I spent some much time focusing on my line, and the road ahead of me that time past faster than I expected.
Old 12-12-15, 11:38 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What i did on my first group ride i just stayed in back the whole time just learning how the guys ride??,, at what speed??,, were they aggressive riders?? ,, Just analyze the ride ,but also have fun, don't over think it like i did my first time just enjoy the ride .
Old 12-13-15, 02:55 PM
Johnny Rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
It went great. As suggested in an earlier post, brushed up on my group ride etiquette beforehand and everything went well. Did not get dropped and stayed in the middle of the pack for most of the ride. Definitely looking forward to doing another ride next Saturday.

Definitely saw some great bikes out there today but, after today, feeling very happy with the bike I have.

Thanks for all the great suggestions this morning. I spent some much time focusing on my line, and the road ahead of me that time past faster than I expected.
Congrats. Before long you'll be up front, racing for sprint points and looking out for the newer cyclists in your group.

Now you can pass along your experience / prep with the next cyclist headed out on their first group ride!
Old 12-13-15, 06:17 PM
Sol588

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Congrats. Before long you'll be up front, racing for sprint points and looking out for the newer cyclists in your group.

Now you can pass along your experience / prep with the next cyclist headed out on their first group ride!
I have really met some cool people riding...some that have really shown me the right way and have provided a model from which to draw on when aiding fellow riders, and sharing information. I cannot say enough about how good I feel about the biking community as a whole. I am really glad to be a part of it!

Thank you all. Happy holidays!!!
Old 12-18-15, 07:33 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts

Awesome great job! You did better than me