Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed XT deore shifting problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 04:51 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts

Shifting problems for a long time, I have replaced
1. rear derailleur
2. chain
3. shifting cables and housing
4. cassette

I am able to shift up with no problems. Going from small cogs to big cogs. But it's really crappy shifting down (from big cogs to little cogs). Like it hangs up for a second. I just now replaced the cassette and that helped. The other stuff was replaced last year. This is a mtn bike and I don't ride it much. I checked wear on the chain, it's fine. But maybe I replace the chain again? Is somehow the cable hanging up and that is preventing quick clean downshifting? Any ideas on what to do? I believe that yes, I have all the correct parts.
Old 06-13-23, 05:15 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Did you try adjusting the cable? If not shifting down crisply you need to turn the adjuster on the derailleur inwards 1/8th of a turn at a time and check if that works before trying anything else. Try this and let us know how it went.
Old 06-13-23, 06:49 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
info that will help us find a solution:
Cassette brand, gear count, and small/large gear Tooth count
bike brand and model
Chain brand and model number
rear derailleur exact model number (like:RD- M591, etc...found on back side of Der. )
Rear Der, Cage Length.. (SG, SGS, etc) or your best guess
Shifter Exact model number(found on underside)...
Cable age, Cable housing age and type (stranded or coiled case, note any rust or cracking)
General age and condition of bike.
Who did the work you mention in your post, and their skill level.

without this info, all you'll get is best guesses, more confused, unrelated rat holes, a possible argument or two, and a few fun anecdotes.

Thanks.

Last edited by maddog34; 06-13-23 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-14-23, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Do you have bare cable running along the down tube? Hold on to the RD cable lightly while you shift through the gears. If it get quite a bit of slack in it as it does those mis-shifts, then you probably have issues between your fingers and the RD. If the tension on the cable seems fairly constant as you get those mis-shifts, then you probably have issues between your fingers and the shifter.

Gummed up DR, shifter or cable can be the culprits as well as frayed cable inside the shifter or even the cable housings. Too tight a bend or maybe something you recently clamped over the cable housings might be especially suspect.

Does the RD move freely when the chain and cable are removed from it?
Likes For Iride01: