Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best value (cheapest) aero race bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 11:29 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts

Any suggestions on cheapest (but reputable) aero road bike, carbon, electronic shifting, internal cable routing?

I currently race on alum specialized allez sprint with mechanical 105 and rim brakes.
Old 06-14-23, 12:50 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I'm seeing more and more p12 crit friends around here on custom di2 Elves evo builds, not unlike

$1300 uci frameset with integrated cockpit hard to beat, especially if you're gonna lay it down at some point anyway
Likes For ctak:
Old 06-14-23, 01:06 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
I'm seeing more and more p12 crit friends around here on custom di2 Elves evo builds, not unlike this one

$1300 uci frameset with integrated cockpit hard to beat, especially if you're gonna lay it down at some point anyway

This, guy on my team just had one built with sram rival etap, hunt wheels. Whole build was 4600 dollars.

What kind of racing? Crits? buy a CAAD 13 or the new emonda ALR, or Specialized Allez comp ( if you can find one) and call it a day. Pick up a pair of reynolds or what ever later.
Old 06-14-23, 02:32 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Any suggestions on cheapest (but reputable) aero road bike, carbon, electronic shifting, internal cable routing?

I currently race on alum specialized allez sprint with mechanical 105 and rim brakes.
From a reputable Western brand canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 eTap (Rival AXS) at $4500 and $5300 (Sale ended back to $6K) for the SLX 8 eTap (Force) before shipping and tax, which are both insane deals because full integrated carbon cockpits, carbon wheels, and powermeters included

There is also Quintana Roo SR5 105 Di2 is $4600 before shipping and tax, Integrated aluminum stem and aluminum wheels

If you are okay with the idea of building a bike then just getting a frame set like the Tarmac SL 7 $3300 and then doing a cheaper Rival AXS build w/ some $1K carbon wheels would be around $6K.

I built a Winspace T1500 Disc w/ Rivals AXS and Hunt Wheels for under $4500 all in.

Winspace T1500 Frame and Aero Cockpit shipped $1522
2X RideNow TPU Tubes $30
Supercaz Super Sticky Kush $25
SRAM BB86 BB $40
2X GP5000 28c Tires $110
SRAM Rival Shifters/Calipers $500
SRAM AXS D1 RD $280
SRAM AXS D1 FD $195
SRAM Rival 12 Speed Chain $40
SRAM Rival D1 DUB Crankset $140
Prime Primavera Carbon Saddle $99
Hunt 65 Aero Wheels $950
2X SRAM Centerline 160mm Rotors $100
LBS Buildup $350

Last edited by Jrasero; 06-15-23 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 02:57 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
L-twoo just brought out their electronic groupset and looks pretty promising and saves a lot of $$$$$$ since we are talking CHEAPEST. It is up on our favorite chinese website search for ltwoo erx for $650-900 depending on options.
Old 06-15-23, 07:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Best bang for the buck and reputable? Giant Propel. The Advanced 1 comes with Rival AXS if I am not mistaken and costs 6k.

Check out Yoeleo too - Chinese brand, but I've heard and read good things about them.
Old 06-15-23, 07:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hard to beat Canyon and Giant for value among the mainstream quality brands. If I was in the market for an aero race bike I would probably choose a Canyon Aeroad at mid-tier level. Component spec is always high at any given price point with Canyon. This would do the business for me at £4,799. Certainly ticks all your boxes.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bi...farbe=R081_P07
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-23, 07:19 AM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by eduskator
Best bang for the buck and reputable? Giant Propel. The Advanced 1 comes with Rival AXS if I am not mistaken and costs 6k.

Check out Yoeleo too - Chinese brand, but I've heard and read good things about them.
Propel Advanced 1 at $6000 is fine but most entry level Aero bikes start at $6K anyways so it's not an amazing value. The issue I have with Giant especially for their smaller sizes is that on a XS they are still are offering 170mm cranks and a 400mm width handlebar. Now this might be fine for some people, but this is why for the same money I would suggest building up a Tarmac Sl7 frameset so you can choose your parts and their size. Plus I think the tires Giant gives suck and I am personally not of fan of Giants Hookless rims let alone Hookless rims to begin with.

I have only heard good things about Yoeleo but Patrick Lino who does a lot of Chinese bike coverage but is based in Chicago noted his R12 frame took like 9+ months and some of his friends orders were taking about a year and they had to cancel.

Another option if you are not weight sensitive is just going with a Specialized Allez Sprint Disc frame at $1700. I believe an ASD frame weighs 1500g and something like a Winspace T1500 weighs 1200g. You could offset the weight by upgrading some parts to Force or even Red and going w/ an ultralight wheelset like with the EliteWheels Drive Series
Old 06-15-23, 07:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
L-twoo just brought out their electronic groupset and looks pretty promising and saves a lot of $$$$$$ since we are talking CHEAPEST. It is up on our favorite chinese website search for ltwoo erx for $650-900 depending on options.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOyFlojaDtA
$850 something? If it works, it could become the go to group for a privateer. That's still cheaper than buying last year's components/used/etc.
Old 06-15-23, 07:51 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Jrasero
Propel Advanced 1 at $6000 is fine but most entry level Aero bikes start at $6K anyways so it's not an amazing value. The issue I have with Giant especially for their smaller sizes is that on a XS they are still are offering 170mm cranks and a 400mm width handlebar. Now this might be fine for some people, but this is why for the same money I would suggest building up a Tarmac Sl7 frameset so you can choose your parts and their size. Plus I think the tires Giant gives suck and I am personally not of fan of Giants Hookless rims let alone Hookless rims to begin with.

I have only heard good things about Yoeleo but Patrick Lino who does a lot of Chinese bike coverage but is based in Chicago noted his R12 frame took like 9+ months and some of his friends orders were taking about a year and they had to cancel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB2RCRKzmsU&t=1041s

Another option if you are not weight sensitive is just going with a Specialized Allez Sprint Disc frame at $1700. I believe an ASD frame weighs 1500g and something like a Winspace T1500 weighs 1200g. You could offset the weight by upgrading some parts to Force or even Red and going w/ an ultralight wheelset like with the EliteWheels Drive Series
Good luck finding an aero race bike with electronic groupset, 50mm carbon rims and a power meter for 6k. If you see one, please send it to me.

From what I can read, OP wants a fully built bike.
Old 06-15-23, 07:54 AM
Jrasero

Good luck finding an aero race bike with electronic groupset, 50mm carbon rims and a power meter for 6k. If you see one, please send it to me.

From what I can read, OP wants a fully built bike.
Not sure about the prices in Canada are BUT here in the states Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 eTap Rival AXS w/ powermeter, all integrated, and carbon wheels $4500
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...farbe=R081_P07

SLX 8 eTap is $5300 Sale ended back to $5900

So 100% doable at least down here to get a complete Aero bike, full integrated, 12 speed electronic, with carbon wheels, and power meter.

I still would suggest if you aren't married to a brand name or LBS experience then building a frameset since you get to choose your parts and most shops will build it up for you for $300 or less. Thus you can get parts more tailored to your size or simply get a better deal than buying a whole complete bike. Force D1 and even Red D1 are seeing some really great sales right now for groupsets, so making a mixup of SRAM AXS while not Kosher for everyone would be a great value

Last edited by Jrasero; 06-15-23 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 10:56 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
$850 something? If it works, it could become the go to group for a privateer. That's still cheaper than buying last year's components/used/etc.
It's $700 with batteries, $650 USD if you purchase it without the 2x 14500 rechargeable batteries for faster/cheaper shipping. They're pretty common so you can buy them locally. It's also programmable so you can run it either as 11 or 12 speed.
Old 06-29-23, 08:13 AM
eduskator

Not sure about the prices in Canada are BUT here in the states Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 eTap Rival AXS w/ powermeter, all integrated, and carbon wheels $4500
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...farbe=R081_P07

SLX 8 eTap is $5300 Sale ended back to $5900

So 100% doable at least down here to get a complete Aero bike, full integrated, 12 speed electronic, with carbon wheels, and power meter.

I still would suggest if you aren't married to a brand name or LBS experience then building a frameset since you get to choose your parts and most shops will build it up for you for $300 or less. Thus you can get parts more tailored to your size or simply get a better deal than buying a whole complete bike. Force D1 and even Red D1 are seeing some really great sales right now for groupsets, so making a mixup of SRAM AXS while not Kosher for everyone would be a great value
Yes but you have to pay a huge amount (import, duty, tax) when purchasing a Canyon. You can't simply compare Canyon's MSRP online with other brands that sells bike in store. I'd like to see the total price of this purchase to compare it with other similar bikes from other brands.
Old 06-29-23, 11:14 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Ebay is like ice fishing. Mild discomfort, but patience is well rewarded. Tri-bikes are the "rescue pet" of bicycle species. So much middle-aged madness leading to, "When are you going to sell that bike - you never ride it." Learn the eBay market, set triggers to notify you when candidate bikes come online, then pounce.
Old 06-30-23, 05:38 AM
PeteHski

Yes but you have to pay a huge amount (import, duty, tax) when purchasing a Canyon. You can't simply compare Canyon's MSRP online with other brands that sells bike in store. I'd like to see the total price of this purchase to compare it with other similar bikes from other brands.
I can't speak for the US, but that isn't the case in the UK. Canyon prices include everything except delivery, which I believe is $99 for the US.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-30-23, 07:45 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I can't speak for the US, but that isn't the case in the UK. Canyon prices include everything except delivery, which I believe is $99 for the US.
He's in Canada, but Canyon US is in Sandy Eggo. The price in the US is what you pay (apart from sales tax and $100 shipping). I naively thought Canada would be the same.
Old 06-30-23, 07:54 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
He's in Canada, but Canyon US is in Sandy Eggo. The price in the US is what you pay (apart from sales tax and $100 shipping). I naively thought Canada would be the same.
Ah that makes sense now. We have a place in Canada and I sometimes buy stuff from the US (usually ski gear) and they charge a load of cash to move it over the border. Sounds like the same thing here if Canyon doesn't have a direct Canadian website to buy from.
Old 06-30-23, 08:27 AM
eduskator

Yeah, bikes are shipped from Europe (Germany if I am not mistaken) when they are bought from Canada on Canyon's website.

Import duty charge is 13% + 100$ of shipping + other fees that you may or may not get. Sales taxes are also to be added to the bill as per my understanding. It's a big no no for me.
Old 06-30-23, 09:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs

I've been riding a CAAD 12 and just bought a Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0. It costs $3999. It has disc brakes but Ultegra 11 sp mechanical rather than electronic. It is a great bang for the buck. If you're willing to spend $4499 you can get an Aeroad CF SLX with SRAM electronic. I've had two rides on my Aeroad and can say it is fast, nimble and much more comfortable than I thought it would be. It's already my "go to" bike. BTW it's also pretty light and climbs as well as any bike I have.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-30-23, 09:46 AM
Jrasero

I mean doesn't Canyon have a Canadian based site? Again not sure what these bikes are CAD $, but us American yeah you can get a SLX Force D1 w/ power meter sub $6K
Old 06-30-23, 11:39 AM
PeteHski

I mean doesn't Canyon have a Canadian based site? Again not sure what these bikes are CAD $, but us American yeah you can get a SLX Force D1 w/ power meter sub $6K
Just had a quick look and there is a Canadian Canyon site with prices in CAD. But it does say “Tarrifs” not included. So maybe it’s different to US and Euro pricing.
Old 06-30-23, 11:45 AM
PeteHski

Yeah, bikes are shipped from Europe (Germany if I am not mistaken) when they are bought from Canada on Canyon's website.

Import duty charge is 13% + 100$ of shipping + other fees that you may or may not get. Sales taxes are also to be added to the bill as per my understanding. It's a big no no for me.
Do you not get hit by all that when buying any other bike made outside Canada? It must be baked into shop prices.
Old 06-30-23, 11:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Those Elves Falath bikes look fantastic! But I've already got all the bikes I need or (at the moment) want. And if I got one it would have to be sufficiently different from other bikes I already have - either Di2, or 12 speed, or 12 speed Di2. And carbon wheels.

But what would I do with an Aero bike? I don't race, and I wouldn't want to build it with a mountain of spacers under the stem, so I'm not sure I could really use it comfortably for long rides. Maybe just use it for my weeknight 25 mile rides?

Then again, I don't have $3000 lying around that Mrs. GeneJockey wouldn't notice was missing, either.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-30-23, 01:04 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Do you not get hit by all that when buying any other bike made outside Canada? It must be baked into shop prices.
Not when it's already physically here. I've always bought my bikes at their online listed Canadian MSRP + the sales tax. Buying and importing is another thing though, although sometimes you get lucky and don't pay any fees at all.

For my current bike, the US MSRP is actually higher (+100$) than the Canadian MSRP for some reason (?) so it means that my bike is a lot cheaper here in Canada than it is in the US of A. It does not make sense IMO, but it is what it is. It's actually the first time I see this.