Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where can one buy knockoff Chinese speedplay x-series cleats?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Where can one buy knockoff Chinese speedplay x-series cleats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 06:09 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I have switched to Favero Assioma. The reason I didn't stick with Wahoo/Speedplay is 1) anger that they screwed the speedplay customer base, 2) the cyclingtips review of the new wahoo design which showed considerable play developing in pedals due to their new design, 3) the Favero being much cheaper than their own power pedal option, 4) cleats for Favero are much cheaper.

Having said that, if I could run my old x-2s on my trainer bike, I would. So I don't need something that has a zero % failure rate, since I won't crash and fall off my bike. I'm now I'm on very last pair of x-2 cleats and the springs are about to break. I have a group ride with tons of traffic lights so I am always having to unclip and I think that wears them out faster.

I also own a kickr, which thankfully still works. But based on what I am reading about their support re: providing parts to repair kickrs, I think I will actively try to avoid any products from them. They absolutely DO NOT CARE about their customers.
Old 03-16-24, 06:21 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Bump: it's now almost 2 years later. Do we have a reliable working replacement generic cleat that will work with speedplay x-2s? I see some generic Chinese stuff on Amazon that claims to be compatible with X-series. But not clear to me from the comments that that is actually true. Nor that they are good or quality.
These no good?
Old 03-16-24, 06:26 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
These no good?
Nope, won't work with the X version pedals.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-16-24 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 02:32 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I have switched to Favero Assioma. The reason I didn't stick with Wahoo/Speedplay is 1) anger that they screwed the speedplay customer base, 2) the cyclingtips review of the new wahoo design which showed considerable play developing in pedals due to their new design, 3) the Favero being much cheaper than their own power pedal option, 4) cleats for Favero are much cheaper.

Having said that, if I could run my old x-2s on my trainer bike, I would. So I don't need something that has a zero % failure rate, since I won't crash and fall off my bike. I'm now I'm on very last pair of x-2 cleats and the springs are about to break. I have a group ride with tons of traffic lights so I am always having to unclip and I think that wears them out faster.

I also own a kickr, which thankfully still works. But based on what I am reading about their support re: providing parts to repair kickrs, I think I will actively try to avoid any products from them. They absolutely DO NOT CARE about their customers.
I had excellent service from them when my kickr core bearing wore out. It was out of warranty but they still shipped me (at their expense) a refurb replacement. I was planning to just replace the bearing but was surprised at their swap-out so took the offer.
Old 03-17-24, 09:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Bump: it's now almost 2 years later. Do we have a reliable working replacement generic cleat that will work with speedplay x-2s? I see some generic Chinese stuff on Amazon that claims to be compatible with X-series. But not clear to me from the comments that that is actually true. Nor that they are good or quality.
Interesting option here, if it's just for the spring clips:
https://nextcleat.com/#shopify-secti...me-promotion-1
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-17-24, 09:28 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting option here, if it's just for the spring clips:
https://nextcleat.com/#shopify-secti...me-promotion-1
Very interesting.

Video on how to install from their website:

Look like he has a bag of clips worth $10,000. Like paying $25 for paper clips. But tempting.
Likes For Radish_legs: