Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Snow Board Helmet For Cycling?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 09:55 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts

DBIO Snowboard Helmet, Ski Helmet for Adults-with 9 Adjustable Vents, ABS Shell and EPS Foam, Snow Helmets for Men and Women

Amazon

I don't ride in freezing weather but for those that do this helmet is of pretty good price and me be useful.
Old 11-30-23, 10:18 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I use a Giro snowboard helmet for winter riding. The closeable vents and insulated ear flaps are great. I also clip a red blinker to the goggle strap retainer.

Used it last night in 28F temps and was happy.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 12-01-23, 12:05 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Seems like overkill.

I ride with a thin wool beanie under my cycling helmet that covers my ears, and that's good down into the teens (°F). Below that, I have a helmet cover. I've ridden in temps down to the single digits, as I recall I added a headband from my ski gear, and I was good.
Old 12-01-23, 12:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
A bike helmet is far more likely to get dragged along a surface with high friction than a snow helmet. I doubt the snow helmet makers will ever go to MIPS but that can be a big plus in a helmet crash on a bike.

Edit: the helmet shown in the OP's post is a lot like the POC I ride that I like a lot (but my POC has MIPS).
Old 12-01-23, 12:35 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
That DBIO helmet shows only ASTM F2040 certification, not any cycling-specific safety certifications. Wear what you like, don't make me no never mind, just pointing that out.

Info helmet/activity guide:
https://www.cpsc.gov/safety-educatio...which-activity

There's the Specialized Centro Winter cycling helmet, designed for cold-weather cycling.

Discontinued, or out of stock at Giro? They offer(ed) the Timberwolf cycling helmet for cold-weather cycling.

Bern offers a Cold Weather Bike Beanie to 'upgrade' a cycling helmet for winter use. Combined it with a rain cover as noimagination does.

Smith Optics offers their Mission 'Snow Helmet' which has CPSC certification.

Just a quick market survey. I'm sure there are others.
Old 12-01-23, 01:08 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Seems like overkill.

I ride with a thin wool beanie under my cycling helmet that covers my ears, and that's good down into the teens (°F). Below that, I have a helmet cover. I've ridden in temps down to the single digits, as I recall I added a headband from my ski gear, and I was good.
When I'm going for a longer ride, I use a cycling helmet and layer up as you do. But for a quick trip to the shops, the snowboard helmet is very convenient, and with a hard cover over the vents, it's warmer.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A bike helmet is far more likely to get dragged along a surface with high friction than a snow helmet. I doubt the snow helmet makers will ever go to MIPS but that can be a big plus in a helmet crash on a bike.

Edit: the helmet shown in the OP's post is a lot like the POC I ride that I like a lot (but my POC has MIPS).
Just checked, some Giro snowboard helmets have MIPS now. East Coast ski mountains can get really icy and you can slide downhill a considerable distance before stopping.

And my Giro snowboard helmet has better coverage on the back of the head than my road helmet. It's closer to my mountain bike helmet in this regard.

Old 12-01-23, 06:21 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
My helmet does, in fact, have MIPS, but I am never going to find out if that really matters, because I am never going to crash with it to find out <drops mic, walks away>

Last edited by Leisesturm; 12-01-23 at 06:38 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-06-23, 10:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts

My POC ski helmet from about 8 years ago has MIPS
Old 12-06-23, 02:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

I'm not going to argue that snow can be as hard as concrete but you hit an icy patch and bounce your melon off that surface and IMO it's pretty much the same impact. Also, on hardpack or iced-over snow, if you fall you will be dragging all of your body parts a long, long distance on a hard surface - with irregularities, unlike smoothed cement.

That said, I'd bet a snowboard helmet would do a pretty good job of keeping me from getting stitches in my scalp or a wrinkle in my skull under normal riding conditions.
Old 12-06-23, 02:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I'm not going to argue that snow can be as hard as concrete but you hit an icy patch and bounce your melon off that surface and IMO it's pretty much the same impact. Also, on hardpack or iced-over snow, if you fall you will be dragging all of your body parts a long, long distance on a hard surface - with irregularities, unlike smoothed cement.

That said, I'd bet a snowboard helmet would do a pretty good job of keeping me from getting stitches in my scalp or a wrinkle in my skull under normal riding conditions.
A poster just shared that some snow helmets are now MIPS. It's the quick spin around of your head that does the injury. On ice, less snap. That last 200 yards of slide isn't doing what MIPS protects against.
Old 12-06-23, 05:04 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

DBIO Snowboard Helmet, Ski Helmet for Adults-with 9 Adjustable Vents, ABS Shell and EPS Foam, Snow Helmets for Men and Women

Amazon

I don't ride in freezing weather but for those that do this helmet is of pretty good price and me be useful.
Thanks for posting; this type of helmet is excellent for bicycling in cold winters.
I have been using them for close to three decades.
I have 3M reflective tap on all of my helmets and a red blinking light on the back of the one I’m using on a day.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-07-23, 09:31 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Snow helmets have different certifications - quality ski helmets are also certified.

I use a snow helmet and have for years - it's very difficult as it gets colder to get enough layers on with a normal bike helmet, and any increased protection that did exist in the bike helmet over the snow helmet is gone because it doesn't fit properly. I use it by itself with the vents open at temperatures where I could use something else - but it's very comfortable.
Likes For Viich:
Old 12-09-23, 12:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
A poster just shared that some snow helmets are now MIPS. It's the quick spin around of your head that does the injury. On ice, less snap. That last 200 yards of slide isn't doing what MIPS protects against.
Agreed