Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Are traffic laws made and enforced by drunk clowns...?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 11:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Reckless driving vs reckless grammar?

Virginia law on passing a stopped school bus has been clear for 40 years. Here - read it yourself:

"A person is guilty of reckless driving who fails to stop, when approaching from any direction, any school bus which is stopped on any highway, private road or school driveway for the purpose of taking on or discharging children."

Yes, drivers must stop a school bus which is, er, stopped.

Wait. Is something missing there?

Indeed. The preposition "at" was deleted in 1970 when the law was amended, the statute's history shows. And a man who zipped past a school bus, while it was picking up children with its lights flashing and stop sign extended, was found not guilty recently by a Fairfax County Circuit Court judge.

"He can only be guilty if he failed to stop any school bus," Judge Marcus D. Williams said at the end of the brief trial of John G. Mendez, 45, of Woodbridge. "And there's no evidence he did."
[Defense attorney Eric E.] Clingan then provided to [Judge Marcus D.] Williams a grammatical analysis by E. Shelley Reid, an associate professor of English at George Mason University. Reid noted that the phrase "when approaching from any direction" is a nonrestrictive modifier and can be removed from the sentence. "As a result," Reid wrote, "the grammatical core of the first half of the sentence would read, 'A person is guilty of reckless driving who fails to stop any school bus. . . . ' This is a cohesive, grammatically correct sentence that conveys a clear if not very reasonable meaning."
That's not the only parsing, and obviously not the correct one. But it's interesting that a two letter preposition was the only thing preventing this flavor of reckless driving ... in legal terms.
Old 12-01-10, 01:05 PM
ScottStr

Bikes: Windsor Wellington 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's a shame that the prosecution didn't produce a better grammar expert. The sentence diagram you posted correctly shows that the expert was wrong. Of course, experts don't get paid to show that there are possibly contradictory explanations.
Old 12-01-10, 02:06 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I remember some years ago, North Dakota misspelled the chemical name of Ecstasy, thereby rendering E completely legal until such time as someone who could spell was found.
Old 12-01-10, 02:28 PM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. That would be even funnier if it wasn't so screwed up.
Barry, "HumanCar" recently did Maryland a huge favor when he clarified summaries written by MVA and DOT regarding our new 3 foot law. There were many ridiculous errors, but the most egregious was their stating that if a motorist was attempting to pass a cyclist on a road that was not wide enough to give 3 feet when passing, then the motorist could just pass anyway with out giving it. Yikes.
Old 12-01-10, 05:48 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Hey, even drunk clowns are smarter and more useful than the average sober legislator.
Old 12-01-10, 07:48 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That's not the only parsing, and obviously not the correct one. But it's interesting that a two letter preposition was the only thing preventing this flavor of reckless driving ... in legal terms.
I don't know the legal term for it, but I believe there's a general legal principal or something along those lines that says that criminal laws must (should?) be interpreted in the way most beneficial to those accused under them.
Old 12-02-10, 07:46 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
Wow. That would be even funnier if it wasn't so screwed up.
Barry, "HumanCar" recently did Maryland a huge favor when he clarified summaries written by MVA and DOT regarding our new 3 foot law. There were many ridiculous errors, but the most egregious was their stating that if a motorist was attempting to pass a cyclist on a road that was not wide enough to give 3 feet when passing, then the motorist could just pass anyway with out giving it. Yikes.
Indeed the error is a similar one, our three foot law is an extension to existing law: motorist must "Exercise due care to avoid colliding with any bicycle"
Drop that phrase out of the summary (because it is not "new") and it reads something like "if there is not enough room to pass safely then run the cyclist down" rather then "you can't pass."
. . /L
=()>()
Old 12-02-10, 08:02 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottStr
It's a shame that the prosecution didn't produce a better grammar expert. The sentence diagram you posted correctly shows that the expert was wrong. Of course, experts don't get paid to show that there are possibly contradictory explanations.
If I wanted to wriggle out of such a law it's exactly what I'd say too.

A person is guilty of reckless driving who fails to stop, when approaching from any direction, any school bus which is stopped on any highway, private road or school driveway for the purpose of taking on or discharging children.

says to me that reckless driving occurs if I fail to stop any school bus, regardless of the direction of approach. Since it's impossible to stop a school bus which is already stopped it seems to me this clause could never catch anybody.

It's a shame the legislators couldn't produce a law that wasn't subject to being picked apart like this. The defence is only doing their job, and the legislators have apparently failed to do theirs.
Old 12-02-10, 08:35 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About four years ago one of our legislators was diddling around with the marriage laws trying to pass one of those "defense of marriage" acts, and inadvertently deleted the age restrictions... Infant Marriage was thus legalized in Arkansas for around two years until the General Assembly reconvened to try and fix it ;-)
Old 12-02-10, 08:42 AM
Febs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
I don't know the legal term for it, but I believe there's a general legal principal or something along those lines that says that criminal laws must (should?) be interpreted in the way most beneficial to those accused under them.
The general principle is that penal statutes must be narrowly construed in favor of an accused. Yarborough v. Commonwealth, 247 Va. 215, 218, 441 S.E.2d 342, 344 (1994) ("When a statute is penal in nature, it 'must be strictly construed against the Commonwealth and in favor of an accused'").

“Penal statutes must be ‘strictly construed against the State’ and ... ‘cannot be extended by implication or construction, or be made to embrace cases which are not within their letter and spirit.’” Commonwealth, Dep’t of Motor Vehicles v. Athey, 261 Va. 385, 388, 542 S.E.2d 764, 766 (2001) (quoting Berry v. City of Chesapeake, 209 Va. 525, 526, 165 S.E.2d 291, 292 (1969)). However, although we construe statutes strictly in criminal cases, we will not apply “an unreasonably restrictive interpretation of the statute” that would subvert the legislative intent expressed therein. Ansell v. Commonwealth, 219 Va. 759, 761, 250 S.E.2d 760, 761 (1979).
Armstrong v. Commonwealth, 36 Va. App. 312, 315, 549 S.E.2d 641, 643 (2001), aff’d, 263 Va. 573, 562 S.E.2d 139 (2002).

Originally Posted by contango
It's a shame the legislators couldn't produce a law that wasn't subject to being picked apart like this. The defence is only doing their job, and the legislators have apparently failed to do theirs.
Indeed.

Last edited by Febs; 12-02-10 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-02-10, 09:05 AM
Zizka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In another example from Arkansas, my town, Conway, prohibits using bikes on bike and ped paths thanks to leaving off the human powered exception in their definition of vehicle.

Luckily for wheelchair users, someone had the foresight to put an exception in the ordinance for them.
Old 12-02-10, 09:28 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't help but think the real clown here is not the person who wrote the law, but the judge who very, very clearly completly misinterpreted the meaning of what the law was trying to accomplish. I don't give a **** what grammar says, it couldn't be more obvious what the sentence means, so as far as I'm concerned letting this guy off the hook is simply a miscarriage of justice.
Old 12-02-10, 09:44 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,204 Times in 1,484 Posts
Originally Posted by rogwilco
I can't help but think the real clown here is not the person who wrote the law, but the judge who very, very clearly completly misinterpreted the meaning of what the law was trying to accomplish. I don't give a **** what grammar says, it couldn't be more obvious what the sentence means, so as far as I'm concerned letting this guy off the hook is simply a miscarriage of justice.
Exactly. The driver wove his way through stopped traffic to get around a school bus with flashing lights that picked up school kids. His reaction after the court ruling was "this is the greatest day"! He should be in jail.
Old 12-02-10, 09:54 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are traffic laws made and enforced by drunk clowns? Of course not. They are made and enforced by a wide variety of humans. Both functions are improved by the application of reason and understanding. Gratuitous scorn. on the other hand, pollutes productive civil discourse and thus obstructs improvement.
Old 12-02-10, 10:00 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottStr
I agree. Only a parent should stop a school bus. The state is lucky, that the error is not common knowledge among the general public. Some idiot not in their right mind, might think they could stop a school bus on a whim.
Old 12-02-10, 10:24 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The trouble with this, while I agree with the sentiment, is that it creates a dangerous precedent. It's clear what the law is trying to achieve here but as soon as we start to say "it's obvious what it means" we open up a whole new can of worms when something does come down to interpretation.

Given it is obvious what the law is intended to achieve it makes it even more unforgivable that the legislators passed the law with such appallingly bad wording. We need legislators to do their jobs properly, not fill the gaps with judges making their interpretations as to what was meant.
Old 12-02-10, 02:19 PM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't help but think the real clown here is not the person who wrote the law, but the judge who very, very clearly completly misinterpreted the meaning of what the law was trying to accomplish.
He did his job.

He should not convict somebody based on the meaning of the law -- only on the actual words of the law. (He can, however, acquit somebody based on the meaning of the law if he deems it to be appropriate.)

I don't give a **** what grammar says, it couldn't be more obvious what the sentence means, so as far as I'm concerned letting this guy off the hook is simply a miscarriage of justice.
It sounds like a miscarriage of justice to me too. But the judge did his job, and I'm glad he did. And I'm glad you're not a judge.

This article is a good read about judges who generally aren't qualified to do their job, who make up the law as they go or enforce the law as they feel it should be rather than as it is written.

Bad laws should be fixed. But until they are, judges can't be enforcing things that aren't actually in the law. (Though in this specific situation, the judge could have convicted him -- after all, the guy did not stop the bus as that interpretation of the sentence required! Though that would be even more absurd, and that's a case where he should use his judgment and just acquit the guy as he did.)
Old 12-02-10, 02:23 PM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris516
I agree. Only a parent should stop a school bus.
Shouldn't only the bus driver stop the bus?

Anybody can stop a school bus (well, force the bus driver to stop it -- it's the bus driver that stops it, or maybe the brakes if you want to get more picky) on a whim -- just walk in front of it. Or stop your car in front of it. You don't need a law that tells you to do this.
Old 12-02-10, 04:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by gcottay
Are traffic laws made and enforced by drunk clowns? Of course not. They are made and enforced by a wide variety of humans. Both functions are improved by the application of reason and understanding. Gratuitous scorn. on the other hand, pollutes productive civil discourse and thus obstructs improvement.
Scorn isn't only a natural, appropriate reaction; it's also a good motivator for the people it's being heaped upon.
Old 12-02-10, 04:43 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Hey, even drunk clowns are smarter and more useful than the average sober legislator.
you think?

Old 12-02-10, 05:46 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We are beset with three problems here:

1.) Spelling and grammar are barely even being TAUGHT anymore, much less learned.

2.) Laws are being written by incompetent lawyers -- if they WERE competent, they'd be in private practice instead of government.

3.) The incompetence of those lawyers is being manipulated by the competent ones, to our collective detriment.

We need to quit allowing lawyers to write laws, and have plain-speaking people do it. But I won't hold my breath.........
Old 12-02-10, 06:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

How are ordinary people supposed to know how to obey the law, if it can't be understood without the help of a professional grammar expert?
Old 12-02-10, 07:29 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Where did you find a sober legislator to do the comparison? Utah?
Old 12-02-10, 09:19 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
3.) The incompetence of those lawyers is being manipulated by the competent ones, to our collective detriment.
If ya' see a big yellow bus stopped in yer road, wait fer it to move.
Old 12-03-10, 07:11 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
If ya' see a big yellow bus stopped in yer road, wait fer it to move.
Yeah I always thought that was kinda obvious. And all those flashing lights, and a big "STOP"! hanging out in the way; maybe it needs to be mounted lower on the bus.... Nah, these fools would just hit it and sue the school system for their car damages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.