Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling shorts - gel vs chamois?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling shorts - gel vs chamois?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 02:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
for me, a thick padding or gel creates for an uncomfortable experience. Thin layer on the fabric goes a long way & doesn't disturb the jewels.
Old 07-18-22, 03:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs

Extend one leg down on the pedal, drop the heel on that leg, and then straighten the leg just enough to lift the butt 1 cm off the saddle... Don't go higher than 1 cm or loose too much stability and create too much drag on downhill.
1 cm ???.... where do get these magic numbers from ??
Old 07-18-22, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by geepondy
Thank you all for the replies. The gist I am getting is that comfort is highly personalized. What is most concerning to me is that after rides I am sometimes developing sore, tender "bumps" (trying not to be too gross) which I assume might be ingrown hairs? I think I'll try a chamois short for comparison but not too thin.
Hmmmm. So, when you say your "butt is getting sore", that could mean several things. I was assuming that you meant your sit bones, but this is making me think you're having heat/friction issues, perhaps, in which case you should definitely not use shorts with a gel pad, which will retain heat and sweat.

The other possibility that occurs is hygiene. I make it a rule not to wear the same bibs twice without washing them. Otherwise, it's like wearing yesterday's underwear in the middle of a heat wave in August.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-18-22, 06:10 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
1 cm ???.... where do get these magic numbers from ??
If I don't feel the magic wand at the back pocket of my shorts pressing against my butt cheeks, that means I'm at least 1 cm off the saddle.

Seriously, you should be able to feel 1 cm rub against your thighs when you move up and down the saddle.
Old 07-18-22, 06:18 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Padding of any kind does not agree with me.
I ride completely unpadded shorts, and a non-padded saddle (Brooks C17 or Team Pro).
I tried some padded shorts briefly years ago, and could not stand sitting in the puddle of sweat soaked up by the shorts.
Old 07-22-22, 06:48 PM
geepondy

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Are bib shorts better than regular in this regard as well as general purposes? My biker friend swears by them but I've resisted so far because when I have to go to bathroom,, I don't want complications!
Old 07-22-22, 09:43 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Are bib shorts better than regular in this regard as well as general purposes? My biker friend swears by them but I've resisted so far because when I have to go to bathroom,, I don't want complications!
'Better' depends on the user. Some don;t like the elastic waist of shorts - and that depends on the brand/model. Some shorts have a very gentle yet firm grasp to the waist, others might feel like a tightening noose.
I like Bibs, but use them for rides 2 hrs or shorter, just because I also don;t want to deal with 'complications. I do plan ahead, but sometimes you get surprised...
If the ride is 2+ hrs, I always use shorts. But it's not hard & fast. I do use shorts on shorter rides, same for Bibs on long rides. Often it's dependent on 'conditions' - I have a mental image of what I like, depending on weather/temp/wind.
Cycling Kit is very 'personal' and getting the fit you like can mean some experimentation.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-24-22, 09:57 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
To get usable responses, you need to be clear about the problem. Sore sit bones may require a clothing, pad, or saddle solution.. Saddle sores almost definitely require a different solution. Have you considered something like Body Glide, Gold Bond Friction Defense, or 'chamois cream'?
Old 07-26-22, 06:00 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
To get usable responses, you need to be clear about the problem. Sore sit bones may require a clothing, pad, or saddle solution.. Saddle sores almost definitely require a different solution. Have you considered something like Body Glide, Gold Bond Friction Defense, or 'chamois cream'?
What philbob said, but also check your fit. Saddle sores can be an outcome if your saddle is too high. That was my experience, anyway.
Old 07-26-22, 07:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Getting ready to ride yesterday, I found that all my preferred shorts were in the laundry. Digging way back in the bike clothes drawer, I found some old shorts I hadn't worn in years. Real leather chamois, very thin, no padding. If I'm going to ride, that's what I'll have to wear. I was truly surprised at how comfortable they were, and getting off the bike didn't have the "loaded diaper" feel of a modern padded synthetic chamois. I suspect I'll be wearing those more often.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-26-22, 11:32 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Bibs are 100x better while riding your bike. They don't have to be as tight for falling down. No one sees your back side yada-yada.

Are the better for your whole day out ? TBH most of the time I just where bike shorts. I hate dealing with the bathroom, trying to find a place to hang my shirt etc.. If it's a nice indoor stall bathroom it's fine. Outhouse not so much.