Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace Chainring?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replace Chainring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 12:34 PM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Replace Chainring?

On my last ride the chain came off of the middle chain ring twice. Does the ring look

like it needs to be replaced? Please note, it is paraffin not dirt on the crank.
Old 10-16-23, 12:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I wouldn't expect a worn ring to cause the chain to drop. There are other things more likely to be going on. One might be developing a bad habit of making a chain ring shift and not letting it complete before you start to coast or stop pedaling entirely.

I think if you wrap a new chain around that ring and can pull it snug in one direction, if you see a lot of daylight under the chain, then the ring is worn. But still not sure why that'd drop your chain without something else being amiss.
Old 10-16-23, 01:09 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Yeah, like Iride said. Plus, that big ring looks more worn to me.
Mine never reach that point. I replace well ahead of time, at the same time as cassette and chain.
Old 10-16-23, 01:26 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Mine never reach that point. I replace well ahead of time, at the same time as cassette and chain.
I don't use the big ring anymore. The bike is more than 30 years old. The middle chainring has been replaced once. I am considering the following. Go single chainring and change entire drive train. Another option would to purchase a new bike.
Old 10-16-23, 02:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I don't use the big ring anymore. The bike is more than 30 years old. The middle chainring has been replaced once. I am considering the following. Go single chainring and change entire drive train. Another option would to purchase a new bike.
Sounds like a good approach. To my eyes, that inner ring looks like toast. I bet the chain is stretched a lot. If so, the cassette/freewheel is not likely to work with a new chain. So, chainrings, chain and cogs? Not much to save. Good time to consider whatever new system/number of cogs you want. Looks like you got good use out of these ones.
Old 10-16-23, 02:26 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
If I did that, I’d be bankrupt
Old 10-16-23, 02:34 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
If I did that, I’d be bankrupt
Haha. I really just meant that, for me, the rings can make it to 30 to 40 thousand.
Cassette 15 grand. Chain 5k. So I try to find a common junction for the rings.
Old 10-16-23, 03:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Them idle ring is clearly very worn in the peak power zones (6&12 when the crank is horizontal).

IMO this CAN cause the chain to fall off via the same mechanism that causes skipping on worn rear sprockets. Doubly so if you get more issues on less aligned gear combinations.

So definitely consider a new sprocket, since this one is toast or beauty so. However, I suspect that the chain is probably equally near the end of it's life. So check that too, so the old chain doesn't kill the new sprocket.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-16-23, 03:56 PM
daniell

This is a mountain bike with cantilever brakes. The dropout space is 135mm. I may not be able to find non disc hubs. I see no reason why I cannot use them with rim brake rims. It is currently 8 speed. My plan is 10 speed with 1 X chainring. I will wait for the Winter to begin work.
Old 10-16-23, 04:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
This is a mountain bike with cantilever brakes. The dropout space is 135mm. I may not be able to find non disc hubs. I see no reason why I cannot use them with rim brake rims. It is currently 8 speed. My plan is 10 speed with 1 X chainring. I will wait for the Winter to begin work.
So long as the rim is designed for rim brakes the hub doesn't really matter. However I know White Industries makes a 135MM rim brake hub called the MI5 in various versions to work with whatever you need.
Old 10-16-23, 04:37 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by veganbikes
So long as the rim is designed for rim brakes the hub doesn't really matter. However I know White Industries makes a 135MM rim brake hub called the MI5 in various versions to work with whatever you need.
That hub would be worth more than the bike.
Likes For daniell:
Old 10-16-23, 04:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
That hub would be worth more than the bike.
Without knowing what bike it would be tough to tell but it is a hub that exists in the framing I had. Back in the day a higher end MTB could have been spec'd with WI parts.
Old 10-16-23, 10:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Them idle ring is clearly very worn in the peak power zones (6&12 when the crank is horizontal).

IMO this CAN cause the chain to fall off via the same mechanism that causes skipping on worn rear sprockets. Doubly so if you get more issues on less aligned gear combinations.

So definitely consider a new sprocket, since this one is toast or beauty so. However, I suspect that the chain is probably equally near the end of it's life. So check that too, so the old chain doesn't kill the new sprocket.
My experience is that 90° from the crank is where the chain wear is typically worse. Often visible by elongated and gently sloping valleys on the pulling side of the ring.

In this case, the teeth on the middle ring almost exactly 180° opposite the crank look absolutely chewn up. Now, one can have some odd shaped teeth in that area for shifting, but it just doesn't look right to me.

I agree that there are times when worn rings can impact dropping the chain, especially when cross-chained.

Middle rings usually aren't that expensive, and I'd probably snag a new one.
Old 10-17-23, 01:08 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I think that middle ring looks knackered around the crank arm.
Old 10-17-23, 05:51 AM
daniell

I am looking for a 1 X crankset. According to my measurement, I need a 55mm chainline. At this point, I don't know how to achieve this.
Old 10-17-23, 06:22 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
standard 74/110 and 58/94 chainrings should be fairly easy to find / replace - unless they are unique / specific chainrings (examples include some vintage XTR and middle ramped XT rings etc)

but please note - some of the better replacement chainrings can be a bit pricey

on a couple of older bikes instead of replacing the individual chainrings I replaced the entire crankset after finding relatively inexpensive crankset … on one bike used a STX RC crank - on another used a Sugino crank - and on one bike went with a more recent external bearing design SLX crankset and BB … please note - vintage 170 mm cranksets can be more of a challenge to find than 175 mm cranksets if 170 is desired size

old hubs and wheelsets are also fairly easy to find

if the bike is a fairly good quality bike - probably worth the expense to replace the parts and continue to ride it

Last edited by t2p; 10-17-23 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-17-23, 08:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
If you go with 1x, look for special drop stop rings of one sort or another.

Wolf Tooth was one brand.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ons/chainrings

I think other brands use wide/narrow teeth.
Old 10-17-23, 04:12 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by t2p
standard 74/110 and 58/94 chainrings should be fairly easy to find / replace - unless they are unique / specific chainrings (examples include some vintage XTR and middle ramped XT rings etc)

but please note - some of the better replacement chainrings can be a bit pricey

on a couple of older bikes instead of replacing the individual chainrings I replaced the entire crankset after finding relatively inexpensive crankset … on one bike used a STX RC crank - on another used a Sugino crank - and on one bike went with a more recent external bearing design SLX crankset and BB … please note - vintage 170 mm cranksets can be more of a challenge to find than 175 mm cranksets if 170 is desired size

old hubs and wheelsets are also fairly easy to find

if the bike is a fairly good quality bike - probably worth the expense to replace the parts and continue to ride it
The two big chainrings are 110mm. I have not calculated the small one.