Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Your longest commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Your longest commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 08:15 AM
FLYBYU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your longest commute

I currently drive to work, it is 40km (roughly 25 miles) each way. Most of it is 4 lane divided highway with huge bike lanes. I cycle up and down this highway all the time. The rest is mostly industrial area with a single bike lane going from the highway. I started a new position at work and on alternating weeks I start at 9:30am and work until 6pm. I was thinking of riding those alternating weeks to save gas. It does seem like a long commute daily however. We have showers and change rooms at work, and I work as a heavy duty mechanic, so being clean and smelling nice is not a priority. Anyone else running a commute like this and have some advice to get started? Bike is an old fully rigid mountain bike with sickish 26" tires on it.
Old 04-08-24, 08:45 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Try yourself to bike-ride to your work on Friday of the work week and let us know how you are physically feeling over the weekend. It would take about 2 hours, one-way.
Likes For Eyes Roll:
Old 04-08-24, 10:15 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked 2,093 Times in 1,185 Posts
When I was 40 and doing some racing, I could handle 2-3 days of a 27 mile one way commute. Many years later as my yearly mileage declined, I had to find alternatives. One was leaving my car at work (as well as shoes), riding home the 27, then return by bike in the AM. I was able to do this once per week and would also do a “park and ride”, where I would drive part way and ride 18, returning in the afternoon. I was typically stashing clothes at work on the days I drove, then road my fast commuter bike, which was essentially a road bike with bigger and more durable tires (32’s). If I needed to carry stuff I used my tourer which could use panniers. My commute was maybe 50% bike lane and bike paths, the rest on street, but I went out of my way to avoid main roads with commuter traffic.
Old 04-08-24, 11:33 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
On a new job, I always ride the route on a Saturday first. My commute is only 20 miles each way and I drive on Wednesdays.
A road bike and/or drop bars are best imo.
Old 04-08-24, 12:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Until I retired, I commuted to work, 60 km round trip 5 days per week. I also sometimes did a couple of evening rides during the week and a couple of much longer rides every weekend. At times I rode up to 100 days in a row averaging over 500 km per week. My 30 km commuting ride usually took me an average of one hour, depending on wind direction. My 30 km ride home was usually faster than the morning ride to work, because I preferred to arrive without sweating too much since we didn't have showers at work. At the beginning of the season, I would find the ride a bit tiring, but by mid season I would often extend my ride home because I found it bit short
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-08-24, 01:10 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 378 Posts
In my early 20s, I'd sometimes ride 19 miles to work. 90 minutes uphill in the morning. 60 downhill in the evening. I only did this once or twice a week at most though.

For the distance you've got, I'd consider an ebike. You'd still get a workout but the motor will really come in handy on those days when you're not at your best or otherwise disinclined to ride that day.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-08-24, 02:17 PM
FLYBYU

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Until I retired, I commuted to work, 60 km round trip 5 days per week. I also sometimes did a couple of evening rides during the week and a couple of much longer rides every weekend. At times I rode up to 100 days in a row averaging over 500 km per week. My 30 km commuting ride usually took me an average of one hour, depending on wind direction. My 30 km ride home was usually faster than the morning ride to work, because I preferred to arrive without sweating too much since we didn't have showers at work. At the beginning of the season, I would find the ride a bit tiring, but by mid season I would often extend my ride home because I found it bit short
Very interesting, what type of bike did you use?
Old 04-08-24, 07:07 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
I've commuted solely by bike a few times over the last 20 years or so, usually on Bike-to-Work Day. The round-trip is just shy of 100 miles, so it's not sustainable.
Most of the times I ride my full-sized road bike, but a couple times I rode my folding bike (once each: Dahon MuXL, Tern Verge S11i)
I normally ride a folding bike, which accounts for about 7 miles of the round-trip; the rest is on Chicago's heavy rail (METRA).
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-09-24, 09:22 AM
C.I.

Bikes: Old Japanese Road Bikes (C-Itoh; Kabuki) with some upgrade (Italian & Japanese parts)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not everyday, 21 ml x 2 (Plano-Dallas-Plano) (49 year old in that time).

Dallas, TX (21 ml x 2)

Last edited by C.I.; 04-09-24 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For C.I.:
Old 04-09-24, 09:49 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYBYU
I currently drive to work, it is 40km (roughly 25 miles) each way. Most of it is 4 lane divided highway with huge bike lanes. I cycle up and down this highway all the time. The rest is mostly industrial area with a single bike lane going from the highway. I started a new position at work and on alternating weeks I start at 9:30am and work until 6pm. I was thinking of riding those alternating weeks to save gas. It does seem like a long commute daily however. We have showers and change rooms at work, and I work as a heavy duty mechanic, so being clean and smelling nice is not a priority. Anyone else running a commute like this and have some advice to get started? Bike is an old fully rigid mountain bike with sickish 26" tires on it.
I have a similar bike and have been doing a shorter commute (19m/30Km) every day for about two years. I would suggest doing everything in your power to improve your efficiency on the bike. Get some bolt-on aero bars to battle through wind. Fast tires. Reasonably tight-fitting clothing. Don't carry a lot of stuff - drive all that in. Stay off the brakes and conserve momentum. Look for shortcuts. Keep everything in good repair and carry tools.

By the way, you will obviously save gas, but not necessarily a ton of money. At that mileage, the bike will steadily need tubes and tires and parts and repairs, and you will start to think of each expense in terms of how much gas you could have purchased.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-09-24, 02:40 PM
FLYBYU

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I have a similar bike and have been doing a shorter commute (19m/30Km) every day for about two years. I would suggest doing everything in your power to improve your efficiency on the bike. Get some bolt-on aero bars to battle through wind. Fast tires. Reasonably tight-fitting clothing. Don't carry a lot of stuff - drive all that in. Stay off the brakes and conserve momentum. Look for shortcuts. Keep everything in good repair and carry tools.

By the way, you will obviously save gas, but not necessarily a ton of money. At that mileage, the bike will steadily need tubes and tires and parts and repairs, and you will start to think of each expense in terms of how much gas you could have purchased.
That is a good point, I have my bike converted to a 1x10spd setup, so parts aren't super cheap. I may try it out on the weekend to get a good idea of what I am up against. You must get in wicked shape cycling that much.
Old 04-09-24, 03:29 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
Is it safe to leave a car parked at work overnight? If so, I'd be thinking about driving in with the bike, riding home, then reversing the process the next day.

I used to do a 50 mile rt commute a couple times a week. That included a 10 mile ride to work, followed by a 10 mile ride to pick up a group ride after work and then back home. I was (1) younger then, (2) in better shape than I am now, and (3) frequently tired when I got home after those rides and the next day.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-09-24, 06:15 PM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by FLYBYU
You must get in wicked shape cycling that much.
I am not in wicked good shape. I'm 49 years old. Ninety minutes of ice skating Friday with my kids had my abs sore for three days, as an example.

The bike commuting is a weird workout. I don't try to exercise or go fast. I focus on safety, durability, and getting to work reliably. I don't stand up. I don't press hard on the cranks. I protect my knees and my body. I'm generally not even breathing hard.

I also don't do any other kind of exercise, so whatever workout I get is far from balanced.

I do burn a lot of calories. Plan on taking some of the gas money you save and sinking it into large packages of whatever it is you plan to eat.
Old 04-10-24, 07:30 AM
Classtime 

I commute 5000 miles per year. In that time, if I ride only one bike, I’ll need to replace one tire — rotate the front to the back and put a new one on the front. I use nice tires so that one tire will cost me about 70 bucks. I patch my tubes. With a clean chain, I won’t need another one for 2+ years. If I need a new cassette, that is about two tanks of gas for two years of commuting.
Old 04-10-24, 05:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Going from driving to bike commuting, my food expenses went up, so it didn't seem like I was saving money on fuel. Of course, that's not the whole picture at all.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-11-24, 08:11 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
In my early 20s, I'd sometimes ride 19 miles to work. 90 minutes uphill in the morning. 60 downhill in the evening. I only did this once or twice a week at most though.

For the distance you've got, I'd consider an ebike. You'd still get a workout but the motor will really come in handy on those days when you're not at your best or otherwise disinclined to ride that day.
↑ This, for the win.

I did a similar commute once. It was 27 miles one way. I was a technician at that time, on my feet all day for work. When I got to work I was energized from the commute, and after the endorphins wore off, I was just exhausted. I was not a "cyclist" at that time, though I was in my 20s and in overall good shape. If I had kept doing it, it would've gotten easier as I got fitter, but at the end of the day, I would still have zero energy left.

I decided on a multi-modal commute. Like another poster, it was in the outlying Chicago suburbs and I found a commuter rail train that would do the bulk of it, leaving me with a 1.5 mile commute on the home end and a 1 mile commute on the work end. It worked out swimmingly. I even got to take a nap on the train on the way home on the Quiet Car.

If you don't have an option for a multi-modal commute, eBike is The Way to Go. Don't be afraid to spend real money; remember that this will largely replace a car and even an expensive one will quickly pay for itself in not only gas savings, but also wear & tear. Something like an Aventon Level 2 with full fenders, lights and a rack for a trunk bag or panniers. Or something with a belt drive and internal geared hub will even remove chain & derailleur maintenance. Get something with big enough tires to accommodate FlatOut so you're not dealing with flats all the time. Not fat tires though, unless you plan to ride in significant snow; they don't roll efficiently enough.

Even in Canada's winters*, you will find the commute is doable much of the time. With flat pedals, you can wear regular winter clothes; just don't wear too much jacket. You'll start to sweat quicker than you might think. Boots & mittens will be most important, along with overpants. A 50 mile commute will require you to be careful with the power or charge at work. I'd recommend the latter and just use the battery between the 20-80% state of charge, for maximum battery life.

* depending on where in Canada, of course. I'm in SE Wisconsin, which is similar to a Toronto climate.
Old 04-11-24, 08:47 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by noglider
Going from driving to bike commuting, my food expenses went up, so it didn't seem like I was saving money on fuel. Of course, that's not the whole picture at all.
People give away free food/calories all the time in different ways. Less so with free gasoline.

Currently enjoying a clearance brownie at 75% off.
Old 04-11-24, 09:02 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by Classtime
I commute 5000 miles per year. In that time, if I ride only one bike, I’ll need to replace one tire — rotate the front to the back and put a new one on the front. I use nice tires so that one tire will cost me about 70 bucks. I patch my tubes. With a clean chain, I won’t need another one for 2+ years. If I need a new cassette, that is about two tanks of gas for two years of commuting.
I don't know what to make of posts like this. In the two years I've been bike commuting, I've replaced all of that, plus dozens of other things, from shoes to clothing to pedals to a bottom bracket, a crank arm, brake pads, cables, derailleur pulleys, lube, touch up paint, a seat and a seatpost, spokes, nipples, rim tape, grips, lights, chains, quick links, snow tires.....

Also, I don't have a car to get to work, so for me two bikes is really a minimum.
Old 04-11-24, 11:06 AM
Classtime 

Scott,
You are doing it wrong.
I cannot imagine NEEDING to replace saddles, pedals, cranks, derailleur pedals, etc. every two years. You wore out your shoes? AND your rim tape? Crazy man!

Last edited by Classtime; 04-11-24 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-11-24, 12:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
21 miles each way with a fair amount of elevation gain, but I would only do it twice a week and drive clothes and supplies in between so I didn't have to carry much more than my keys with me. It also allowed me to bundle up at 5am and leave the layers behind when heading home at 4pm.
Old 04-11-24, 04:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@ScottCommutes and @Classtime: The difference in your climates can explain the difference in wear on your bikes. Riding a bike in the rain introduces a lot of abrasive grit. Last night, I cleaned my chain. Today, I bike-commuted to work and back, and I had the time to clean my bike. I got a lot of grit off, and I had to clean and lube my chain again.

I read that a gallon of gas has 31,000 calories. Given that it costs less than a loaf of bread, I can see all the subsidies going into that commodity. Being a fossil fuel, we are borrowing from our ancestors and our descendants to get such a low price. Of course, the car needs more calories per mile than a cyclist does, but it’s interesting how expensive it is to fuel us.

I recently heard the claim that an e-bike is more energy efficient than an “acoustic bike,” and now I might believe it. It’s not really more efficient, but it could be more cost-efficient when accounting for only fuel.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-11-24, 06:58 PM
ScottCommutes

@ScottCommutes and @Classtime: The difference in your climates can explain the difference in wear on your bikes. Riding a bike in the rain introduces a lot of abrasive grit. Last night, I cleaned my chain. Today, I bike-commuted to work and back, and I had the time to clean my bike. I got a lot of grit off, and I had to clean and lube my chain again.
I rode to work in the rain today and I broke my front derailleur cable. I changed all the cables and housings eight months ago. I do ride every day in every kind of weather.
Old 04-11-24, 08:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I rode to work in the rain today and I broke my front derailleur cable. I changed all the cables and housings eight months ago. I do ride every day in every kind of weather.
How do you suppose that happened? Were you able to use gears that are high enough?

I don't ride that much in the rain. I rarely head out to work if it's raining, though I take a chance on a rainy PM commute. This morning, I thought it would be a gentle mist. Oops. But I was OK. And the rain had abated well before I got there, so I looked presentable.

Old 04-12-24, 07:25 AM
ScottCommutes

How do you suppose that happened? Were you able to use gears that are high enough?

I don't ride that much in the rain. I rarely head out to work if it's raining, though I take a chance on a rainy PM commute. This morning, I thought it would be a gentle mist. Oops. But I was OK. And the rain had abated well before I got there, so I looked presentable.
I was lucky. The break happened only about three miles from my house on the ride home, and of course I still had a working rear derailleur. Not a big deal. It broke right at the pinch bolt. I suppose road salt from the winter did it in? I replaced it at home. Now I'm thinking about carrying a derailleur cable, or at least leaving on at work.

It would have been a bigger deal if I had a modern bike with only the rear derailleur. Fewer things to break, but if it goes, you're stuck in your highest gear.
Old 04-12-24, 07:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
try it on a quiet Sunday morning & see how you like it. you might arrange for your car w/ a bike rack to be waiting for you so you can drive home afterwards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.