Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gp5000 S TR actual size with wide rims

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gp5000 S TR actual size with wide rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 01:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4752 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Of course, making tires that are really wider than their nominal size, makes it easier to win the rollingresistance online reviews that compare results by nominal, and not actual sizes.
Old 04-16-24, 12:39 AM
Eastock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the width of the wheels. I'm planing to buy Elitewheels carbon wheels. Now I have endurance road bike, Giant Contend, where maximum tyre width is 34mm. In future, maybe in two years, I'm planning to buy gravel bike.
Elitewheels gravel carbon wheelset has 24mm internal width and 31 external. So, if I buy 30mm conti 5000 STR, it should be just about 34mm real width? So I will be able to use this wheelset now and on future gravel bike with even wider tyres.

Last edited by Eastock; 04-16-24 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 05:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4453 Post(s)
Liked 4,915 Times in 3,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Of course, making tires that are really wider than their nominal size, makes it easier to win the rollingresistance online reviews that compare results by nominal, and not actual sizes.
Most of them are now true to their nominal size on 19 mm internal rims. There was a time not that long ago where some brands were quoting width on narrower rims, which made them much wider on modern rims, but I think all the big brands have updated now. They still usually measure up a little wider than nominal on 20+ mm rims.
Old 04-16-24, 07:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
My 28mm measure 29mm when inflated on 21mm internal width hooked rims.

Would say they would be true to size on ''standard'' internal width rims (19mm?) and would be another 1mm wider if they would be on 24mm internal width.
Old 04-16-24, 08:42 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by p00kaju
Hello.

First post. Can't find answe using search propably just not using it right

Just bought GP5000 S TR 28mm (front) and 30mm (rear).

Installed them for my new Nextie aero wheels, hooked and inner width 24mm.
Tubeless installation and pressure approx 4.5 bar.

After first 100km tire actual width measured in front little under 31mm and rear 33mm.

I bought this model because many review says that this S TR is more true to size than older models but seems that it's not true.

Could there be difference between batches or is this common with extreme wide wheels?
You are also running a pretty wide internal width since most road wheels are still at 19mm-21mm.
Old 04-16-24, 08:49 AM
Eastock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
I'm still not sure, should I rather take 21mm Internal width. It says, that I can still mount 42mm tyres for gravel on this 21mm wheels, but it's the maximum width. Allthough, I think 42 is enough for gravel. Just hope it won't look weird in narrow 21mm rims.
Old 04-16-24, 11:13 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Eastock
Thanks
I'm still not sure, should I rather take 21mm Internal width. It says, that I can still mount 42mm tyres for gravel on this 21mm wheels, but it's the maximum width. Allthough, I think 42 is enough for gravel. Just hope it won't look weird in narrow 21mm rims.
It'll be bubblier than 25mm internal width for sure. Probably won't look odd though.

If I had the choice, I would take 25mm internal width for gravel usage for sure.