Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cold weather effect on fluid saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-22, 06:04 PM
77record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

I'm seriously considering getting a Botrager Boulevard Fluid saddle. I sometimes ride in temps down to around 40F. What effect does cold weather have on fluid saddles?
Old 12-30-22, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Not sure I have ever seen a fluid saddle. plenty of gel saddles but not fluid. For a saddle you can have padding but you want it support your ischial tuberosity (sit bones) and not just sink in. If they aren't being well supported and you have to compress a lot of material in order to get supported you are creating pressure points which can cause pain.

My guess is if the saddle is fluid you would hope it is not like a water bed or something I don't think that would be very good down there. The Trek website doesn't really tell you what the fluid is or how it is contained or anything. Also that saddle is for a very upright bike so if you are not upright on your bike the saddle is probably going to be way too wide.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-30-22, 08:06 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4406 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,023 Posts
I'll bet that if you put something warm on it, like your butt, it will act normally in short order.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-30-22, 08:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'd imagine that at temperatures above freezing there would be little effect. But I'd submit this question to Trek for a more definitive answer.
Old 12-31-22, 10:06 AM
77record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I figured the same, at that temp, body heat would probably keep things pliable. I have asked Trek the question but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I had a gel saddle on my old bike that was quite comfortable. I don't know if the Boulevard has gel or "fluid", whatever it might be. It may just be a marketing term.
Old 01-01-23, 03:04 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by 77record
I figured the same, at that temp, body heat would probably keep things pliable. I have asked Trek the question but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I had a gel saddle on my old bike that was quite comfortable. I don't know if the Boulevard has gel or "fluid", whatever it might be. It may just be a marketing term.
There is essentially zero chance that the "fluid" in this gel saddle is water based. While it might get stiffer in the cold, as Kontact so perceptively noted, the heat from your body would certainly bring it up to something much closer to room temp.
Old 01-01-23, 05:12 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I had a sleeping setup in the back of a vehicle awhile ago. It was topped off with a memory foam mattress.

It was amazing how hard that mattress got in the cold.

I sank in and the spot I was laying on warmed up enough to still be comfortable. That’s on a 10 degree night with a nice sleeping bag between me and the pad.

I’m certain that the connection between your butt and this saddle on a 40 degree day is plenty warm. If I had to guess, I bet you won’t notice it.
Likes For rosefarts: