Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

handed down bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

handed down bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 12:07 PM
bikeolderthanme

Bikes: 90's cannondale 3.0 road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
handed down bike

My father just moved to Florida and has given me an old bike he has always used indoors as an exercise bike. He is blind and has raced as a para-cyclist in the 90s Paralympics. Indoor racing, international touring, as well as RAAM twice. All tandem, so he used this as a stationary bike for the house. he has sold all of his high end tandems regrettably. And he was going to sell this one and I refused to let him. I am new to this world but cannot seem to find all the details on this bike. can anyone tell me what I have. And give me a direction to go with this, should I keep it as original and tune it up, or paint it and buy new equipment. I will not be racing with this as I am out of shape haha. just commuting and messing around. I also have the shoes the clip into the peddles.

Cannondale 65810909672 serial number on frame
Shimano durance ace FC-7400 crank
campagnolo front and rear brakes as well as de-railer
3TTT head set and competizone drop bars (black)
FIR wheels
look clip in peddles
shifters located on downtube

sorry no pictures for some reason this site wont allow in until i post 10 times.
Likes For bikeolderthanme:
Old 01-20-22, 12:45 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Welcome! The bike sounds interesting enough.

The 10-post limit is an anti-spam measure. See if you can post a few pictures to your album here (you probably can), so one of the members can post them here.

Old 01-20-22, 12:51 PM
bikeolderthanme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It still will not let me
soon I will be able to show it off.
I need some insight as to keeping it vintage and original is a better route. or making it my own and painting it, I never intend on selling it.
Old 01-20-22, 01:11 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeolderthanme
It still will not let me
I need some insight as to keeping it vintage and original is a better route. or making it my own and painting it, I never intend on selling it.
I love a good story behind an old bike - very nice.
Here are some reasons to restore the bike with period-correct components and keeping it as original as possible:
  • You really like the idea of doing that for whatever reason is good enough for you.
  • You want other people to appreciate the vintage-ness and detail
  • You want to sell it when you're done and think you'll make more profit with a vintage restoration
If none of those are important to you, then go ahead and refurbish it however you want; pretty paint, modern shifting and braking, modern wheels and tires, comfortable saddle and bars and pedals and shoes.

Before you get too far though, do a really good check for cracks - a Cannondale in an old-school trainer sounds like it might have seen some damage.

See if you can attach a photo in a PM to me, and I'll post it. I just sent you a message you can respond to.
Update from @daverup's post

Pretty! That headtube looks really steep though... not ideal for a relaxed neighborhood ride.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 01-20-22 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-20-22, 01:14 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
It still will not let me
There is a difference between uploading and posting. Uploading you have done.
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/549338
Likes For daverup:
Old 01-20-22, 01:20 PM
bikeolderthanme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thank you I am tech stupid haha.
Old 01-20-22, 01:21 PM
bikeolderthanme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sweet so I can post from albums.
Old 01-20-22, 01:36 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Well, you can post more pics to the album and a member with more posts can then post them to the thread for you. Once you get to 10 posts, then you can post directly to the thread on your own.

The most important thing about the bike if you want to ride it: does it fit you?

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-20-22, 01:38 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Tomorrow, get 5 more posts in Introductions. After that you can post pics.
The point is to keep spammers at bay. If you haven't been here for 2 days and made 10 posts, you can't post pics.
You have uploaded, anyone can. Only after the restriction is over can you post links or pics.
Likes For daverup:
Old 01-20-22, 02:28 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
According to Vintage Cannondale website’s serial number guide: A 1990-1993 frame, second serial numbering group,
6=120 mm rear spacing
58 cm frame size
1090= Oct. 1990 frame build date
9672= Series number

One thing does not correspond to the site guide, they indicate SAE non-metric frame sizes. One of the C’dale experts here can address this anomaly better than I can.

No red frame with those components shows up in the 90-92 catalogues that the VC lists contain. And in this time period the different levels of the road bikes had the same frame, the SC criterium frames had steeper head tube angles than the SR road frames,IIRC. The higher the model number, the better the componentry. It’s not unusual to find different components mixed together, personal preference and availability ruled choices.

Looks like a sweet bike, I owned a 90 SR 300, criterium geometry. I wish that I had kept it to this day.

Bill

Edit: The 1990 catalog does show a red colourway SR/SC 800, I completely missed the optional color offering. The componentry is different, but that isn’t unusual. Looking at the picture above, your Dad’s is an SC 800, looks good still. Enjoy the bike, glad you are keeping it as a tribute to him.

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-20-22 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-20-22, 09:14 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
SR series frames use metric sizing. ST series frames use inches. Weird, but there it is.
Looks like a 58 but rear spacing would likely be 128 to accommodate both 7 and 8 speed groups, not 120 which is 5 speed era.
Nice bike in nice shape.
Old 01-20-22, 09:25 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
That bike doesn't look like it needs much of a restoration IMHO. An overhaul and matching tires would be my route were it mine.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-21-22, 06:12 AM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
Sweet looking C'dale! I agree with the others in that it looks very clean and was well preserved. I have one of the 3.0 frames and it's one of my lighter and faster accelerating bikes since it was designed with a criterium orientation. Personally, I would ride it as is without changing or upgrading anything (assuming everything works properly), but I started on a '93 R500 and liked the quick handling. However, do the overhauling / regreasing as mentioned. And make sure it fits!
Old 01-21-22, 08:10 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
I am attempting to re-home the 2.8 version/cousin of what you have. It is an awesome little bike, and the components are excellent for that era.

What are the hubs? Campagnolo or Shimano..?. If Campagnolo, all you would have to do is change out the crank-set to have it all Campy.

Honestly, paint if you want, but you might be able to polish the paint there and with care, touch up the red.

As far as components,
1. Do you want to modernize with brifters...brake levers that double as shifters
2. Do you want a fast straightbar commuter (no eyelets for racks so that limits a bit)
3. How much would you want to spend?
4. Do you want to maintain a single group/manufacturer (Campagnolo or Shimano)?

The good news is just freshening up you could have a lifetime rider...all skills developed are part of the fun...updated bar tape, new cables and housings, new tires, maybe change out the brake pads and it's a great bike!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-21-22, 12:23 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Paint looks good to me. I'd clean and shine, overhaul bearings or have a bike shop do it and ride it as it. I wish I had a bike from my dad. He was more a horse guy.