Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Class 1 trails

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Class 1 trails

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 05:04 AM
NHKeith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Class 1 trails

Some trails are limited to class 1 ebikes. Has anyone been asked if their bike is class 1 or 3? Can anyone tell the difference if you keep under 20mph?
Old 01-30-22, 08:00 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Doesn't a 1 not have a throttle ?, others do ?
Old 01-30-22, 08:35 AM
NHKeith

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Class 2 has a throttle, max 20mph. Class 3 doesn't have a throttle but has max of 28mph. You are not meant to take class 3 on a trail limited to class 1 but I am not sure what the difference is if you stay to 20mph and would anyone know the difference?
Old 01-30-22, 08:48 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
The rider would know the difference and should stick to trails/paths where his ebike is legal. I don't hate on ebikes because the partner I ride with the most is oxygen dependent and rides one. But I've been blown off MUPs by ebikes over the requested speed limit, often by helmetless riders with earbuds and clueless as to other courtesies such as announcing their pass.
Old 01-30-22, 10:18 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by NHKeith
Some trails are limited to class 1 ebikes. Has anyone been asked if their bike is class 1 or 3? Can anyone tell the difference if you keep under 20mph?
I have searched my bike, Specialized Alum Creo and there is no CLASS identification on it at all. I understand that it is Class 3. I have rarely gotten it up to 28mph and only hit 45mph descending Washington Pass in the North Cascades.

I understand everyone is expected to know the law but I've only been on one path that has ONE sign that mentions Class 1 and Class 2 only. This is at the end of the path and only facing away from the start at that end. It is well hidden. I've since looked for other limitation signs and seen none. So, frankly, I have no idea if the other half dozen to dozen paths I ride are limited and if they can't post, I can't worry about the limits. As mentioned, I don't blow by anyone at 28mph nor generally more than 14-16mph. A real bikie friend is aghast the throttle bikes (Class 2) and weighty behemoths are permitted where Class 3 is not permitted.

So, put me in the scofflaw category. But I admit to running red lights if they won't change for bikes even with a bike sensor in the pavement.

I would imagine there might be places where there are patrols. I have not seen any in the Seattle area.
Old 01-30-22, 10:23 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Here's where it gets confusing. Class 3 ebikes can go up to 28 miles per hour and must have a speedometer, but may or may not have a throttle.
Via Wired,...

What Are Ebike ‘Classes’ and What Do They Mean?

According to your state's laws, ebikes can be designated as Class 1, 2, or 3. That determines what you can ride and where.

Old 01-30-22, 10:55 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Via Wired,...

What Are Ebike ‘Classes’ and What Do They Mean?

According to your state's laws, ebikes can be designated as Class 1, 2, or 3. That determines what you can ride and where.

The SPEEDOMETER requirement is one I did not know about or is that a local law. I do not believe the Specialized Creo's come with one but I believe are Class 3.
Old 01-30-22, 09:55 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
AFAIK bike manufacturers were supposed to start identifying e-bikes as Class 1, 2 or 3 about five years ago when that system was adopted for CA, where I reside, and eventually adopted by many other states. However, although it may have been implemented by some manufacturers, I've never seen one.
Likes For 2old:
Old 01-31-22, 03:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
The only time someone is going to notice is if you are being noticeable. Throttled "bikes" don't belong on trails unless they are for motorcycles but going at reasonable speeds on a trails is not a bad thing. I personally wouldn't want a class 3 bike for trails because downhill you could easily get there and uphill I would rather have the torque and easier time climbing I don't need to go fast over rough terrain.