Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best security practices for folding bicycles

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Best security practices for folding bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 07:20 PM
feijai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randya
Easily done.
Could you elaborate?
Old 05-08-10, 07:25 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by feijai
Could you elaborate?
I used an armored cable with my stridas, but a U lock or chain would work equally well. You can lock both the back wheel and frame with the bike 'open', or fold the bike and lock both wheels together (to a fixed object). I locked it this way outside many times in Barcelona, where I was not allowed to bring the bike into many places, including the Picasso Museum. Never had a problem.
Old 05-08-10, 11:20 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by techman
I'm about to purchase my first folding bicycle (Bike Friday Tikkit).
The main reason I'm buying a folding bike is so I can easily keep a bicycle in my car
for road trips, spontaneous rides, one way trips with my car. But I will also be using my Tikkit for commuting, errands
and other events.

Outside Security: I know this has been debated to death, but there are times I will need to lock
my folding bike outside. Currently, I secure my road bike to a rack with a u-lock and secure
one of my wheels to the frame with a cable lock. Using both types of locks has giving me an extra
layer of security. When I lock my bike to a street pole, I reverse things, using a cable lock to secure
the bike to the pole and the u-lock to secure a wheel to the frame. A thief needs to defeat both types of
locks to ride or walk away with the bike. I'm wondering if there are different or better security practices when locking a folding bicycle outside. I've thought about those heavy-duty bicycle chains, but they are very heavy to carry.

Inside Security. With a folder, I can take my bicycle inside with me on errands or to events, restaurants. I know
that Bike Friday offers a nice shoulder carrying bag. But what do you do with your folding bicycle once inside?
Just leave it unattended in a corner? Lock it to something inside where you are? Or just keep it next to you
and watch it at all times? Do you take it with you to the rest room?
This is how I think of a expensive (and even a cheapie) bike of any kind now of it's increased value to others. Ask yourself if you will be comfortable leaving your wallet, purse, briefcase, laptop, cellphone/mobile and other portable electronic gadgets, money, credit/debit cards, jewelry and the like out in full public view without your hands on it or on your person? Would you be lulled into "locking it up" because someone told you to or you were too lazy to carry it (or roll in this case) around with you.

It never ceases to amaze me how people check their good sense at the door when it comes to bikes of any type. Unless you are a billionaire or at least a millionaire, you cannot afford to throw money away (and believe me, the rich can be real tightwads too). That is what happens when a bike disappears no matter what the circumstances led up to the theft. Everything you listed is nice and sound advice that the nice honest hard working people follow-and the thieves flaunt and take advantage of. So....I make it a point to take the bike everywhere with me-even in the restroom (if the disabled can take their similarly expensive wheelchairs, walkers, & canes in, so the bike can go there too. Those same devices have been stolen too when other users left them outside!) I have had bus drivers tell me not to put my folder on the front rack but to bring it on board (folding bikes are permitted)-there have been instances where the bikes were grabbed off the "safe" racks or forgotten if the bus is late and off schedule.

You have a folding bike. It comes with it's own security feature built into it's design. Don't be afraid to use it. If you cannot for any reason, leave it at home. By the way, the tikit comes with it own slipcover. Use it whenever you feel uncomfortable about exposing others to your "naked" bike. I always leave home with one of my "homemade" bags.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 05-08-10 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-09-10, 04:54 AM
srad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
By the way, the tikit comes with it own slipcover. Use it whenever you feel uncomfortable about exposing others to your "naked" bike.
The cover is great, even though I would only use it maybe once every couple of months. It turns the tikit into an oddly shaped object with a convenient carrying handle. It looks like some kind of exotic musical instrument. Think of if it as "evening wear" for your bike - a little bit black. a little bit shiny, a little bit stretchy

Last edited by srad; 05-09-10 at 04:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-10, 05:34 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't forget to upgrade everything which has a tubular lock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6StN...eature=related

Last edited by snafu21; 05-09-10 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 12:31 PM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
Don't forget to upgrade everything which has a tubular lock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6StN...eature=related

Not ALL U-locks. Kryptonite recalled theirs and fixed the problem. That Youtube vid is two years old, though there are no doubt older U-Locks around...
Old 05-12-10, 12:32 PM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phillyskyline
Philly is #1 in the US for bike theft, partially because we have so many college students here (Penn, Drexel, University of the Sciences, Temple, etc). I've seen many, many front wheels locked to things, with the rest of the bike gone forever--an expensive and stupid mistake that newbies often make. I lock my Brompton outside regularly when I'm running errands. I lock the frame to a sturdy sign post or bike rack with a quality U-lock. Since my bike is still an oddity here (unlike in London), people have no sense of how much it's worth. So far so good. I would never lock it outside for more than an hour or two. It comes inside with me when I'm working or at home.
I hate it when college students fund their education by a life of (bike) crime ;-
Old 05-12-10, 12:35 PM
tkehler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I treat my folder just like my titanium road bike, and my daughter. I never let them out of my sight.
I never let any of my three ti bikes out of my sight for very long when I'm riding one of them. If I have to pop into a store, I lock the one I'm on very well (Kryptonite U-Lock) and check on it every few minutes. And I know the area well, as well as the clientele.

Re: your daughter, good luck with keeping her in sight once she's 16 (or so...
Old 05-12-10, 12:54 PM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tkehler
Not ALL U-locks. Kryptonite recalled theirs and fixed the problem. That Youtube vid is two years old, though there are no doubt older U-Locks around...

It was 2004. After the great Kryptonite/Bic fiasco Kryptonite recalled and replaced tens of thousands of their U-locks which had axial pin cylinders. A lot of manufacturers didn't; a walk around my LBS showed that three out of six of the cable and U-locks on sale there today still have axial-pin 7 tumbler Bic-tastic keyways.

It doesn't matter much, a portable angle grinder will get through a lock in minutes, an electronic lock-pick in eight seconds. The Bic thing must have been a huge embarrassment though.

"The lock's flaw was apparently first publicized in 1992 in the United Kingdom. The BBC even covered it, but the news apparently didn't resurface until a dozen years later." -Wired

Here's where you get any new bike you want for $139

Last edited by snafu21; 05-12-10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 01:16 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
. When on the birdy I may fold it and put it inside in a corner somewhere, unlocked. If I know I'm going far inside for a while then I'll bring my cable lock with me and lock it up.
I like Birdies............ exactly which shop do you leave it outside unlocked !
Old 05-13-10, 04:25 AM
brommie

Bikes: Brompton T6, Koga Miyata Distance, Airnimal Joey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is no advise . . . But sometimes you have to make a decision . . . so we decided to leave two Bromptons unguarded but with a chain lock.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/plooifiets/3041240893/
Old 05-13-10, 08:24 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by techman
I'm about to purchase my first folding bicycle (Bike Friday Tikkit).
The main reason I'm buying a folding bike is so I can easily keep a bicycle in my car
for road trips, spontaneous rides, one way trips with my car. But I will also be using my Tikkit for commuting, errands
and other events.
As a Tikit owner I can tell you that the best security feature of the Tikit is it's uber fast fold. It's so fast and easy there is never any reason to leave the bike outside. If you are concerned about bikes being allowed in the building [even folded ones] then cover the Tikit with the showercap cover that should be attached to your frame and then carry it in like a bag of shopping or a suitcase.

I have never been denied even in buildings where there is a clearly stated no bikes policy.

Once inside I will often leave my Tikit with building security. They are always interested in odd packages and once they see it's a folded bike I'll even do a demo for them of how it works. I've never been turned away and most security guards act like I made their day! I'll also leave the Tikit at a customer service desk if the store has one. I've never been turned away. If there is no convenient place to leave my Tikit I'll just roll it along with me. I'll park it in a corner if I am staying in one area of a building. The only hassle I've had is all the people who want to ask me questions about it. I've done 2 - 3 demos while in a store for less than 30mins!

As other posters have noted you should get some good insurance on any bike. I shopped around and for no extra cost I got full coverage of all my bikes up to the value of my policy with the only limit being $5K per bike....which covers any bike I own.
Old 05-13-10, 09:30 PM
Brimstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brommie
This is no advise . . . But sometimes you have to make a decision . . . so we decided to leave two Bromptons unguarded but with a chain lock.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/plooifiets/3041240893/
Did you consider folding the bikes and running the chain through all the wheels?
Old 05-15-10, 04:54 PM
tassajara007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an 11 foot long 5/16" cable I got from home depot. Formed loops at the end with these crimp things and a hydraulic press, and a simple padlock. I'll run the cable through both tires, the rails of the seat, and the frame. When I actually put the padlock on, I put the loop around a rear spoke and the chain. Not much good to a thief if he has to smash away at the spokes and the chain to get the bike freed... heh
Old 05-15-10, 06:28 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cable locks are the easiest to cut. I used to use one. finally had one cut on a bike I also had a U-Lock on, stopped using them after that.
Old 05-15-10, 06:43 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
cable locks are the easiest to cut. I used to use one. finally had one cut on a bike I also had a U-Lock on, stopped using them after that.
+ 1 I had a bike stolen when a thief cut a cable lock I used to secure it....sad part was the bike was 8' to my right as I was eating on a patio...I'd never use a cable lock for more than a dash into a 7-11.

Don't lock it - fold it and take it in!

Last edited by vik; 05-15-10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 07:18 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh! I soooo hate bike thieves! My hubby had a bike stolen from a locked cage, that you need a passcard to get into, with security camera pointing at it. But, he felt safe and used a cable lock and since the racks were full, just locked it to the fence, inside the cage. How they got the bike out, we'll never know, but they did. Two weeks before we were going on a cycling holiday...grrrrr.....
Old 05-16-10, 01:13 PM
Brimstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a link plate lock?

https://www.amazon.com/Abus-Bordo-Com...f=pd_sbs_sg_14
Old 05-16-10, 02:09 PM
brommie

Bikes: Brompton T6, Koga Miyata Distance, Airnimal Joey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brimstone
Did you consider folding the bikes and running the chain through all the wheels?
I don't think the chain would be long enough. I usually run the chain through the triangle under the seatpost and then around the lamppost for example.
But the chain is very heavy so I'm looking for another solution.
Maybe I've found something but want to know if somebody here has any experience with it before spending money . . .
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?645732-Locking-the-bike