Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Endurance vs gravel vs Cyclocross geometry

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 06:43 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 141 Posts

Roads and MUPs are pretty bad here, so I'd like to replace Roubaix with wider than 25mm tires. Picked up Orbea Terra yesterday designed for cyclocross, however, after flipping the stem and raising the bars higher, it feels very much like my endurance oriented Roubaix. It came with knobby tires, however, I have another wheelset with 35mm Gatorskins. Am I set with this set up as for gravel/road bike? It feels like all these terms are just marketing, and you can set up any bike for comfort vs race geometry.
Old 04-24-24, 06:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3705 Post(s)
Liked 5,541 Times in 2,803 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Roads and MUPs are pretty bad here, so I'd like to replace Roubaix with wider than 25mm tires. Picked up Orbea Terra yesterday designed for cyclocross, however, after flipping the stem and raising the bars higher, it feels very much like my endurance oriented Roubaix. It came with knobby tires, however, I have another wheelset with 35mm Gatorskins. Am I set with this set up as for gravel/road bike? It feels like all these terms are just marketing, and you can set up any bike for comfort vs race geometry.
There is no need to make uninformed generalizations, especially since you've already bought the bike. If the bike suits your needs, that's great.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-24-24, 07:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,225 Posts
Pulled from roadbikerider:

Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-24-24, 07:23 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
There is no need to make uninformed generalizations, especially since you've already bought the bike. If the bike suits your needs, that's great.
Definitely don't have much experience in high end bikes, just airing my thoughts. Sorry if I offended.
Old 04-24-24, 08:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6250 Post(s)
Liked 4,851 Times in 3,344 Posts
What year model Roubaix do you have? The newer models come with 32mm wide tires. And are claimed to have clearance for 38 to maybe 40mm wide tires. And previous to that, I think Roubaix's were good to at least 32mm. But older models might be more limited.

I don't know what to make of your comment about flipping the stem on the Orbea and it feeling like your Roubaix. Do you want it to fit like your Roubaix? If so, why didn't you buy a gravel bike that gave you that fit without having to flip the stem. They make gravel bikes with higher frame stack that are about like your Roubaix. Not that flipping the stem is wrong. But if you wanted to have the best range of possible bar heights, you now have a bike that is at it's max and if you want more, then it can't really give that to you without spending more money.

Are gravel bike and road bike marketing terms. Sure they are. But they also tell you a few things. One being that gravel bikes will usually handle wider tires. But gravel bikes are basically a road bike with a particular focus on a special use. Gravel roads.
Old 04-24-24, 08:21 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by Iride01
What year model Roubaix do you have? The newer models come with 32mm wide tires. And are claimed to have clearance for 38 to maybe 40mm wide tires. And previous to that, I think Roubaix's were good to at least 32mm. But older models might be more limited.

I don't know what to make of your comment about flipping the stem on the Orbea and it feeling like your Roubaix. Do you want it to fit like your Roubaix? If so, why didn't you buy a gravel bike that gave you that fit without having to flip the stem. They make gravel bikes with higher frame stack that are about like your Roubaix. Not that flipping the stem is wrong. But if you wanted to have the best range of possible bar heights, you now have a bike that is at it's max and if you want more, then it can't really give that to you without spending more money.

Are gravel bike and road bike marketing terms. Sure they are. But they also tell you a few things. One being that gravel bikes will usually handle wider tires. But gravel bikes are basically a road bike with a particular focus on a special use. Gravel roads.
Thanks for replying. Roubaix is 2012, which is before they went wide. The stem is also flipped up, which I assumed what "4-position stem" means in specs, although, I can only count 2 positions.

Terra is similar year, the stem seems designed to be flipped up as well, based on the labeling that can be read from either side. I wanted it to fit like the Roubaix, but with meatier tires. It was a great deal, so I couldn't pass it up or shop around for actual gravel bike, which I'm not even sure I needed with this set up.

Last edited by XxHaimBondxX; 04-24-24 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-24-24, 09:40 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked 7,409 Times in 2,981 Posts
Am I set with this set up as for gravel/road bike? It feels like all these terms are just marketing, and you can set up any bike for comfort vs race geometry.
If the terms are just marketing, does it matter if your bike is set as a "gravel bike"?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-24-24, 09:41 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
Orbea Terra seems more like an all-road/gravel bike than something “designed for Cyclocross”. CX specific bikes are actually pretty rare these days and usually involve high BBs and steep HTAs to allow quick cornering, and large triangles for easy shouldering. Gravel bikes are typically longer and lower than CX, with more slack HTAs for stability on long descents.

That said - what is your question? Gravel bikes can be used with road tires t make them more suited to paved riding, and most endurance road bikes (with enough clearance) can be used with gravel tires for some light duty gravel riding. How well that will work depends on a lot of factors. There are lots of ranges of bikes within both categories and some overlap in the middle.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-24-24, 09:43 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 143 Posts
Check out Geometrygeeks.bike and compare the two. That might answer your questions.
Old 04-24-24, 09:48 AM
msu2001la

I couldn't pass it up or shop around for actual gravel bike, which I'm not even sure I needed with this set up.
I don’t know that much about the Orbea Terra, but Orbeas website definitely markets it as a gravel bike.

“Designed from the ground up for gravel, Terra isn't a repurposed road bike or a slimmed down mountain bike.”

I am confused about what you’re asking here, but you bought a gravel bike.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-24-24, 09:56 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Orbea Terra seems more like an all-road/gravel bike than something “designed for Cyclocross”. CX specific bikes are actually pretty rare these days and usually involve high BBs and steep HTAs to allow quick cornering, and large triangles for easy shouldering. Gravel bikes are typically longer and lower than CX, with more slack HTAs for stability on long descents.

That said - what is your question? Gravel bikes can be used with road tires t make them more suited to paved riding, and most endurance road bikes (with enough clearance) can be used with gravel tires for some light duty gravel riding. How well that will work depends on a lot of factors. There are lots of ranges of bikes within both categories and some overlap in the middle.
I am basically trying to gauge the difference between these 3 types, other than tire width. Also, I'm not asking about current bikes, since mine are at least decade old. Back then, Terras were sold as cyclocross bikes.
Old 04-24-24, 10:13 AM
msu2001la

I am basically trying to gauge the difference between these 3 types, other than tire width. Also, I'm not asking about current bikes, since mine are at least decade old. Back then, Terras were sold as cyclocross bikes.
Gravel didn’t really exist as a bike segment 10 years ago.

Generally speaking (and talking about new bikes):
Endurance Road: more relaxed geometry than traditional road race with higher stack and shorter reach. Usually clears wider tires for a more comfortable ride, but still has steeper head tube angles for sharp handling, and traditional 2x road gearing. Some aero shaping on tubes. Most endurance road bikes would work well for tame gravel.

Cyclocross: Race specific bikes designed to go fast on mild off-road terrain and mud tracks with tight/twisty corners for short duration. Bikes have high bottom brackets for clearance in tight corners and bunny hopping barriers. Steep head tube angles and short chainstays for fast turns and acceleration on climbs. Bikes are designed around 33mm tire widths with additional room for mud. Some hardcore CX race bikes have no mounts for bottles, fenders, bags, etc. CX bikes typically have narrow range 1x gearing. CX bikes can sometimes make good road and gravel bikes with some modifications to gearing, but might lack things that bikes specifically designed for those purposes would have.

Gravel: it’s a huge spectrum ranging from road style bikes used for smooth dirt paths/roads, to gnarly single track and bike backing. Gravel bikes generally are long and low for stability, have lower range gearing and many mounts for bags, bottles, fenders, etc. plus 45mm+ tire clearances. Gravel race bikes have more road-like geometry with aggressively low stack and longer reach, and adventure oriented gravel bikes have more MTB like geometry with more upright position and slacker head tube angles.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-24-24, 12:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,853 Times in 1,553 Posts
I think tires and tire clearance make as much difference as anything anymore

interesting that the winner of paris-roubaix Mathieu van der Poel road the same Canyon Aero he normally rides but went with 32mm at 52 psi (normally rides 28)
and riders riding specialized stayed with Tarmacs, rather the moving to th Roubaix as in previous years

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-24-24, 12:39 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4476 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,058 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I think tires and tire clearance make as much difference as anything anymore

interesting that the winner of paris-roubaix Mathieu van der Poel road the same Canyon Aero he normally rides but went with 32mm at 52 psi (normally rides 28)
and riders riding specialized stayed with Tarmacs, rather the moving to th Roubaix as in previous years
The average speed at Paris-Roubaix is very high and it is mostly paved road. So they are prioritising aero over more compliance on the cobbles. I agree that the wider tyres also make that choice easier.
Old 04-24-24, 08:26 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 366 Posts
I guess it depends on the bike, there are some nuances to different gravel bikes. Everything from bikes that are practically road bikes with wide tire clearances, to drop bar MTBs. My particular gravel bike is fairly conservative and closer to road bike geometry than it is MTB geo. The geo, along with smooth gravel "race" tires and carbon hoops, definitely blurs the line with some of the more progressive endurance road bikes out there.

I know some think the different sub-categories of gravel bikes is rather absurd, but they do have different missions. I've been dabbling in gravel racing and my bike is set up very aggressively...but still a bit of a compromise, as I do a lot of recreational riding on it. Even as it is right now, I have different gearing set ups for it depending on use. If I suddenly found out that I'm the heir to a wealthy Nigerian prince's riches, I could see myself acquiring both an aero gravel race bike, as well as a drop-bar hardtail XC bike. Both are "gravel" bikes, but totally different purposes.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-24-24, 09:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

It would be possible to look at several mfg websites, compare geometries and specs of their road, gravel and cross bikes. Check three or four companies and one might have enough info to draw some conclusions. That said, there is no end to the variety to be seen at most gravel rides. I'm only a gravel dabbler but I've ridden dedicated gravel bikes, hard tail MTB, vintage sport touring and cross bikes. Only the vintage was a fail due to limited tire size.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-24-24, 10:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11015 Post(s)
Liked 7,560 Times in 4,220 Posts
You bought a bike without understanding if the bike meets how/what/where you want to ride?
That seems kinda goofy.

Nobody here has any idea if you are set for gravel riding with 35mm tires and your current fit. Everyone's comfort and confidence is different. Everyone's gravel and unpaved riding is different. A 35nm tire could be plenty for some and woefully awful for others.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-24-24 at 10:30 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-24, 04:01 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You bought a bike without understanding if the bike meets how/what/where you want to ride?
That seems kinda goofy.
well not exactly, I bought it to flip. However if it does everything Roubaix can do, plus more, then I may keep it and sell Roubaix instead.
Old 04-25-24, 04:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4476 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,058 Posts
well not exactly, I bought it to flip. However if it does everything Roubaix can do, plus more, then I may keep it and sell Roubaix instead.
Only you can decide for yourself if it does everything your Roubaix can do. Not much point in asking here.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-25-24, 05:58 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Found this on Canyon website, which sort of confirms my assumption:

Before the gravel bike boom, CX bikes were the do-it-all bike and perfectly capable of handling gravel riding. However, you may need to make minor adjustments like moving your seat height and maybe raising or swapping the stem for a more upright position (just keep in mind that the bike’s frame geometry will set limits).

Given cyclocross tires are 33 - 35mm wide, if you’re not confident on slimmer tires, a bike that can fit wider tires, like a gravel bike, might be more suitable. You’ll also need to change your tires if your regular CX tires are designed for mud.
Old 04-25-24, 06:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yep, if a 35mm tire is enough for your gravel and you can get a comfortable fit w/o kludges, go for it.
Old 04-25-24, 06:19 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep, if a 35mm tire is enough for your gravel and you can get a comfortable fit w/o kludges, go for it.
eventually I'll try going wider than 35 mm. Currently, my go to bike is Trek FX 7.3 with GravelKing SS+ 38 mm, but it's pretty heavy, especially yanking it in/out of the trunk. This Orbea is literally half it's weight and I can't wait to put it back together and start riding.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-25-24, 09:18 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,112 Posts
I’ve ridden a fair amount on 32mm - 40mm tires on mixed surfaces including a fair amount on packed smooth limestone

I prefer the wider tires

you will hear / read comments that you can use narrow tires - 28 mm and even lower - with little issue … I won’t dispute that - but the wider tires are a big plus even on the smoother surfaces

Last edited by t2p; 04-25-24 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-25-24, 10:12 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5015 Post(s)
Liked 8,203 Times in 3,879 Posts
Why not keep both, and optimize each one for different types of riding? N+1.

If I was forced to bear the unthinkable horror of having only one bike, it would be my gravel bike with two (or more) sets of wheels set up for different types of riding. My position on my gravel bike is nearly identical to my position on my road bike. Set up with fast wheels and tires, and road bike gearing, it would perform nearly as well as my road bike for fast road riding. Swap out for wheels with 40+mm gravel tires, and it's capable in the dirt almost everywhere I ride my MTB.
Old 04-25-24, 10:32 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,112 Posts

wide track is not just a slogan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.