Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is It Okay to Kill a Cyclist?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 04:54 AM
shyonelung

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So asks this opinion piece in Sundays New York Times. The answer appears to be yes. Lots of good points here, paramount why drivers who kill or maim cyclists and who remain at the scene, end up with citations only sometimes and almost never get prosecuted. This is a major league bull-shiit cause by a car-obssessed nation who has been led to believe that the very act of riding a bicycle carries risks that make it dangerous and riding on "automobile" roads means cyclsist are taking on an "inherent" risk that carries with it the responsibility to understand you will most likely get hit. The larger message of course: cyclists go home and stay off of our roads.

The article's author plays into this irrational fear of cycling in his opening paragraphs, where he explains why he has decided to become an indoor rider, eshewing the roads around his city (San Francisco) becasue they are so unsafe as to have caused many accidents, some of them to people he or his friends know first-hand. I'm not judging the safety of riding in SF but I'd like to see some real numbers: like how many cyclist accidents are there as a percentage of cyclist o the road. How many are casued by driver's fault (this story says it's over half but I'd like to know how much exactly for a better comparison. Then let's look at the numbers of drivers/cars on the road and compare that to the number of accidents. I'm sure percendtage wise, the cycling deaths are lower by far.

I believe progress between cyclists and cars won't be made without a concerted effort to education motorists and cyclists about the rules of the road. I've dicovered with most people that if you explain to them that the laws allows cyclists on the roads and sometims in their lanes, there is less antagonism toward them. Around here in Northern California wine coutnry, cyclists are part of the scenary and over time, drivers have adjusted. Just last week,I had a truck with trailer patiently wait for me to get through a road-side construction before finding a moment to drive by. Another waited on a blind hill while five of us climbed to a point where we could stop to let him through. It works, it seems, if people understand it. I'm wondering if "Share the Road" might not be the best nesssage anymore because frankly, it's not the cyclists road -- it's the drvers' -- so how can we be required to share what's really not ours. The new campaign should be about introducing cyclists as another form of vehicle with full rights and repsonsibilites on the road. Becuase bikes are slower, `it doesn't make them intruders. Couple this with some really strong traiing and, god help us, better road signs, warning drivers about things like they are about to cross a marked cycling route so they should pay extra special attention to look both ways before entering the new roadway. Why not license cyclists along with drivers and give both sturdy, practical tests and/or show them a video explaining the rules of the road and explaining how it should be applied. Those are my thoughts FWIW The New York Times has a pay wall so I reprinted the entire story for our educational purposes.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-10-13 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Copyright Violation
Old 11-10-13, 05:21 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Old 11-10-13, 05:25 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i nearly got hit 3 times yesterday's ride and twice on today's. F car drivers.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-10-13, 05:33 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will take major efforts in the education of motorists, especially young motorists. I think the US DOT should provide grant money to start a campaign to educate folks.
Old 11-10-13, 05:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
I don't necessarily agree 100% but he does make some valid points.
Old 11-10-13, 05:44 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
No summonses will be issued.
Old 11-10-13, 05:45 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Educate motorists? Try educating police first! Over here bikes are allowed on the sidewalk so I often have cops telling me to get onto the sidewalk. Go F yourself, officer.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-10-13, 06:06 AM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense but could not read that lengthy post. Just way too much for a forum thread. But your subject line says most of what I need. Yes.....it is a shame.
Old 11-10-13, 06:48 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Op, I understand the sentiment, but why is this not in A&S?
Old 11-10-13, 06:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
I believe your wish shall be granted, once the mods wake up.
Old 11-10-13, 07:06 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
The middle section of the article raises good questions regarding how auto-bike accidents are handled by police and the judicial system.

But the lead in and conclusion suck. This guy goes on one bike ride in how many years and tries to come across as an expert. I'll give him a new anecdote to use: I've ridden over 3000 miles this year and have seen only two bike accidents neither of which were caused by cars. But anecdotes like that won't help his biased point of view so they aren't to be included in the article.
Old 11-10-13, 07:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
coasting +1

I agree 100%. Not only do we need to educate the police, we need to educate the courts. Even when the police issue a ticket, it is the courts that give the murdering car driver a slap on the wrist.

Here in Lincoln, a judges wife mowed down a cyclist waiting for traffic to pass to make a left turn. The city att wouldnt even bring the case into court.
Old 11-10-13, 07:34 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
As with many arguments there are two sides to this one. You don't need to pass an intelligence test to drive a car or ride a bicycle. But driving a car poses a threat to life and limb that dwarfs that of a bicycle. Were I a judge I would use simple math to dole out punishments to offenders. A bike weighs 20 pounds, a car 2,000 pounds. So the punishment for a car related offense would be 100 times that of a bicycle. Of course it's true that bike riders are responsible to operate in a manner to promote safety but that does not cover all scenarios. In my city there was this guy years ago who was mentally and physical challenged who rode a bike right down main street every day. One day a huge dump truck got behind him at a stop light so close that the driver could not actually see him. As the light changed the truck driver forgot about him and drove right over him killing him and crushing his skull so both his eyes were bulging out like some kind of space alien. The city council then swung into action and banned large trucks from using main street. The truck driver was not prosecuted. It didn't help much as the carnage has continued. Some judges may be using the mathematical formula already but in reverse. Remember when a slave was valued as 3/5 of a human? Well a cyclist may be valued as 1/100 of a human. I never ride my bike on main street.

Last edited by Ray9; 11-10-13 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-10-13, 07:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Do you know How to Use The Report Button?

Old 11-10-13, 07:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by datlas
I believe your wish shall be granted, once the mods wake up.
Do you Know How to USE The Report Button?

Old 11-10-13, 07:57 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
As with many arguments there are two sides to this one. You don't need to pass an intelligence test to drive a car or ride a bicycle. But driving a car poses a threat to life and limb that dwarfs that of a bicycle. Were I a judge I would use simple math to dole out punishments to offenders. A bike weighs 20 pounds, a car 2,000 pounds. So the punishment for a car related offense would be 100 times that of a bicycle. Of course it's true that bike riders are responsible to operate in a manner to promote safety but that does not cover all scenarios. In my city there was this guy years ago who was mentally and physical challenged who rode a bike right down main street every day. One day a huge dump truck got behind him at a stop light so close that the driver could not actually see him. As the light changed the truck driver forgot about him and drove right over him killing him and crushing his skull so both his eyes were bulging out like some kind of space alien. The city council then swung into action and banned large trucks from using main street. The truck driver was not prosecuted. It didn't help much as the carnage has continued. Some judges may be using the mathematical formula already but in reverse. Remember when a slave was valued as 3/5 of a human? Well a cyclist may be valued as 1/100 of a human. I never ride my bike on main street.
Old 11-10-13, 08:18 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Old 11-10-13, 09:09 AM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reminds me of years ago when I was 18-19 and considering getting a crotch rocket, then I saw friend after friend after friend injured on their motorcycles due to cars. One friend even ended up with a broken neck. So I decided to pass on that shiney new crotch rocket. I also stay off the streets whenever possible on my bike.
Old 11-10-13, 10:32 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Instead of getting all excited, maybe have a talk with the IT gurus and turn the teenee weenee report post symbol into something a little larger that can be seen better, damn fonts keep getting smaller every year I get older.
Old 11-10-13, 10:44 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28635 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
No.
Old 11-10-13, 10:46 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Do you know How to Use The Report Button?
Actually, I do not. Do I get to say why I reported something if I hit the little triangle? I wasn't trying to offend the OP, as I know she is new to cycling and to the forum, so I was trying to nicely forewarn her. Was that poor etiquette? I do not believe that I was sarcastic or insulting in my comment.
Old 11-10-13, 10:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by dynodonn
Instead of getting all excited, maybe have a talk with the IT gurus and turn the teenee weenee report post symbol into something a little larger that can be seen better, damn fonts keep getting smaller every year I get older.
No one on Bike Forums can get me excited.

Old 11-10-13, 10:56 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Actually, I do not. Do I get to say why I reported something if I hit the little triangle? I wasn't trying to offend the OP, as I know she is new to cycling and to the forum, so I was trying to nicely forewarn her. Was that poor etiquette? I do not believe that I was sarcastic or insulting in my comment.
Quit messing with female members and use The Report Button.

I can handle the female members.

Old 11-10-13, 11:01 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
No one on Bike Forums can get me excited.
My bad, in mistaking the LARGE BLUE FONT as excitement, when you were actually being helpful in aiding us BF members with bad eye sight to see you post more clearly.
Old 11-10-13, 11:24 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Actually, I do not. Do I get to say why I reported something if I hit the little triangle?
Yep.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.