Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago Mexico Goldbike 1979

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-24, 08:38 AM
Peter E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
More pictures

Originally Posted by Robvolz
OK, this comment was not just made in jest, I have stumbled upon some serious collector Colnagos, mostly by accident and have never paid what they were actually worth. Lucky I guess.

For starters, this bike is seriously cool.

Cool AF!!

But, I have some stray comments and observations. It's important that you do not see them as criticisms, just observations.

1, The Eddy Merckx connection is puzzling. Eddy rode Colnagos whilst on team Molteni, as well was Kessels and DeRosa. But, according to my research, not too much long after the Hour Record where Eddy placed a Windsor sticker on the head badge over the Colnago logo, there was a bit of a falling out. By 1973, Eddy rode only DeRosa and some Kessels all the way through his team Fiat days until DeRosa helped him set up Eddy Merckx Cycles or EMC.

In 1979, I have heard of no stories were Eddy was a spokesperson for Colnago. This is a first for me.

I also see his poster and while I have not attended a single day of graphology school, Looking at a signed jersey, a signed EMC brochure and an 8x10 glossy….that looks like his signature. Happy to hear they made up. Both were influential in each other's success.

2, I have a couple sets of Colnago headsets. They are steel and my research states they were made by Ofmega, as were many Colnago panto'd cranksets, chainrings and hubs (most of the 35th anniversary bits).

I have never seen an aluminum Colnago branded headset, let alone one anodized gold. This is a first for me and really f'ing cool to see.

3, Speaking of Panto'd things….Ernesto started using his own branded drop outs starting in 1978. Maybe earlier, but I have not seen an example. I too own a 1979 frame of some note. The drop outs don't say Campagnolo but Colnago. Of Course they used up whatever was sitting around before diving into the new parts. [HA!! Ha ha ha ha!!!…I hadn't noticed before!! On my 1979, the NDS says Colnago. The DS says Campy!! How is that for quality control. Does that mean the frame was made on a Monday (hung over) or on a Friday (hitting the sauce a lil early??)…dunno].

4, speaking of a mishmash of parts…please recall that the consumer safety product commission (CSPC) in 1978 ruled that changes must be made to stop bicycle manufactures from making bits that would kill us. Again, I'm sure Ernie wanted to use up old stock before moving to new stock.

Here is what I see on your bike:

A) The front derailleur has the safety lip (post 1978) because in the wisdom of the CSPC, the flat blades on the FD might easily enter fleshy leg parts, COMPLETELY IGNORING THE SHARP TEETH OF A CHAIN RING A CENTIMETER AWAY.
B) The quick release levers are the flat style (pre-CSPC) instead of the safer curved style.
C) The Super Record Rear Derailleur (so cool) is also pre-CSPC because it doesn't have the lil' plastic trumpet on the adjusting or "stop" screws.
D) Both front and rear Campy brakes are also of the "flat," not "spooned" style quick release lever indicating 1978 or earlier.
E) The brake levers are of the 1972 panto style with the lil diamonds - and not the more modern style (intro'd in 1976 for the Montreal Olympics) that mimics the typeface of the panto'd chainring.
E) The crankset is "Mexico'd" where the crank spider has "voids" where there is normally fluting or concavity. This style was original to Merckx' hour record attempt for weight savings and repeated on the Colnago Mexico frames with their thinner SL tubes. Again, I have not seen that on a stock Colnago other than the Mexico/N. Mexico and never past 1978.*

Your bike is a wonderful find. It is stunning. I have heard of gold plating. I've heard of smoke chrome. I've never heard of "gold chrome" I'd be interested in learning more.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE post more pics.

I'm curious to see:
- the bottom bracket. Bikology insisted on serial numbers which often didn't happen anyway. The numbers stamped on the rear drop-outs are really only to make sure the frame was properly matched to the fork (drop the fork, the number should match).
- the top or front of the stem. This was "post-beef" with Cinelli and should be 3ttt. Same with the handlebars.
- Front of the seat post. Does it have the matching panto as the brake levers?
- the backs of the crank arms, specifically the date stamp, a number inside a diamond, a circle or a square. The post CSPC FD (curved lip) added 1.5mm outbound and the cranks should be post 78 to match.
- a top photo of the RD, specially the patent date.
- what are the wheels? Ambrosia I would assume, with Clement tires?
- What is the size? Eddy rode a 58-63ctc and preferred 175 crank arms.

You probably would not hear from Mr. Eddy Merckx anytime soon. He had a bowel blockage that lead to emergency surgery last week. He is now home recuperating, but still. . . . .

On the other hand, I'd send off a letter to Alex Colgano who is usually pretty quick to answer back, if you have questions about an interesting bike. Heck, they may even want it for their museum.

*Please note that I am a mere enthusiast and not a certified expert. These opinions are based on my research and observations, but also know that I am wrong on an hourly basis and actually love to be proved wrong because that's how we learn.

Robert.
Hi!
Thanks a lot for answering.
Look forward to hear more about the new pictures.

Best regards Peter
Likes For Peter E:
Old 04-27-24, 08:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,290 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter E
Robvolz!
Thank you so much for a great answer.
I can post more pictures.

How can i get in touch with Alex Colnago.

Best regards Peter
I would start by contacting Colnago via their web site. They will get back to you . I sent them an inquiry about mine and they got back within a couple of days. They may be interested , but they could forward the info to Alex for you. They seem receptive and forthcoming with any info they have. I was surprised when they got back with me as some companies have no interest in vintage stuff, even if their own.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-27-24, 09:00 AM
Kabuki12

Thank you for the additional pics. That is one special bike . Take your time and get as much info as you can before moving forward. I agree that the Classic Rendezvous list may have some info as well. It would be worth contacting them. They are strict about not evaluating bikes over there but have a lot of knowledge and contacts. Like here , there are some very serious collectors on the CR list.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-27-24, 09:07 AM
Peter E

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I would start by contacting Colnago via their web site. They will get back to you . I sent them an inquiry about mine and they got back within a couple of days. They may be interested , but they could forward the info to Alex for you. They seem receptive and forthcoming with any info they have. I was surprised when they got back with me as some companies have no interest in vintage stuff, even if their own.
Hi!
Thanks for answer.
What mail did you use to Colnago?

Best regards Peter
Old 04-27-24, 09:11 AM
Peter E

Thank you for the additional pics. That is one special bike . Take your time and get as much info as you can before moving forward. I agree that the Classic Rendezvous list may have some info as well. It would be worth contacting them. They are strict about not evaluating bikes over there but have a lot of knowledge and contacts. Like here , there are some very serious collectors on the CR list.
Thanks!
I will probably take help selling the bike.

Want to find out where I can get the best help.

Not in a hurry as the bike has been hanging in the same place in our basement since 1979.
Old 04-27-24, 12:38 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 683 Posts
wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, etc….

Panto'd Ale Colnago Toe Clips. Never seen in real life. Drillium toe straps. Funny, ok, but cool.

Regina ORO drilled chain. Of course

Gold anodized MAVIC rims like Merckx preferred. Double of course (and super rare)

Not a regina freewheel that I can tell. Everest?

Try a pic from the back side of the NON DRIVE SIDE crank. look for a <8> perhaps.

No such thing as too many pics of this bike. Hell, if someone made a coffee table book about this and only this bike, I would buy it.
Old 04-27-24, 04:55 PM
Kabuki12

I totally agree Rob , the details are something else. Peter , go to the web site and look for contact . That’s how I got through. I have passed on some info on your bike to a serious collector I know . I will let you know if he knows anything. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-28-24, 04:33 AM
Peter E

I totally agree Rob , the details are something else. Peter , go to the web site and look for contact . That’s how I got through. I have passed on some info on your bike to a serious collector I know . I will let you know if he knows anything. Joe
Thank you so much for all the help and commitment I get from you on the forum. Exciting if you can get an answer from your contacts.

To be honest, I have no knowledge of bicycles.

/Peter
Old 04-28-24, 04:36 AM
Peter E

wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, etc….

Panto'd Ale Colnago Toe Clips. Never seen in real life. Drillium toe straps. Funny, ok, but cool.

Regina ORO drilled chain. Of course

Gold anodized MAVIC rims like Merckx preferred. Double of course (and super rare)

Not a regina freewheel that I can tell. Everest?

Try a pic from the back side of the NON DRIVE SIDE crank. look for a <8> perhaps.

No such thing as too many pics of this bike. Hell, if someone made a coffee table book about this and only this bike, I would buy it.
THANKS THANKS THANKS!
For all help.

I will take the picture and see if there is a 8?

/Peter
Old 04-28-24, 08:18 AM
Kabuki12

I just noticed the Titanium spindle pedals. The more I see , the more I like! Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-02-24, 01:05 PM
Peter E

Some more pictures

Originally Posted by Peter E
THANKS THANKS THANKS!
For all help.

I will take the picture and see if there is a 8?

/Peter
Hi!
Here is some new pictures.
I am very grateful for all answers from you knowledgeably people.
please let me know i I missed some pictures.
I look forward to your reply.

Best regards
Peter

Likes For Peter E:
Old 05-02-24, 04:11 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 683 Posts
I just noticed the Titanium spindle pedals. The more I see , the more I like! Joe
OK, without a magnet a the ready, how could you tell they were the superleggera? (titanium)

Robert
Old 05-02-24, 07:08 PM
Kabuki12

OK, without a magnet a the ready, how could you tell they were the superleggera? (titanium)

Robert
Superleggeri can be steel or titanium. Super Record Superleggeri is the titanium version. I can tell by the grey tone of the metal of the spindle. I have a few sets of each type and after dealing with them I can tell (usually) by looking at them . The magnet test is the final test! Joe

Last edited by Kabuki12; 05-02-24 at 07:53 PM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-02-24, 07:50 PM
Kabuki12

Rob, I went out to the garage and pulled a set of standard Superleggeri (steel spindle) pedals from the stash and held them next to the Super Record that are on my Colnago. The difference in color is subtle but you can see the greyish tone on the pedals that are mounted. Joe
Old 05-05-24, 03:50 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 547 Posts
Rob, I went out to the garage and pulled a set of standard Superleggeri (steel spindle) pedals from the stash and held them next to the Super Record that are on my Colnago. The difference in color is subtle but you can see the greyish tone on the pedals that are mounted. Joe
You can confirm that the spindles are Ti by using a magnet. The magnet will not get attracted to it if it is Ti.
If you will be overhauling those pedals, you will have fun managing the smaller than usual ball bearings Campy used on it.
You will need to use grease that's heavier than Phil Wood grease to keep the bearings in place when you reinsert the spindles back on to the body...... it took me a whole afternoon to get mine back together with a trip to the bike shop because of bearings that flew the coop on me and disappearedinto the dark corners of my garage...

Likes For Chombi1:
Old 05-05-24, 06:54 AM
Kabuki12

Been there , done that!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-05-24, 10:07 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 149 Posts
Holy cow, talking about unobtainium, this thing is incredible. I've never seen panto'd toe clips before. As for these special editions, I have a friend with a bike shop, and he had a couple of Pinarello specials of similar vintage, but they get blown out of the water by this thing.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 05-07-24, 11:50 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 2,556 Times in 1,068 Posts
Okay, to summarize and add a thought or two:

1) This is a seriously cool bike with seriously cool components. I especially sighed when I saw the Clement Criterium Seta tires - the best money could buy back in the day. They cost about $40 each in the 1970s; That equates to 15 to 20 hours work at minimum wage. I'm not sure I want to know what that would translate to today.

2) Nobody has a real sense of what it is worth. That does not surprise me because these don't come up for sale very often, if ever, so there is no good comparison. There may be a buyer out there somewhere who will pay $5,000 or more for it if it is properly cleaned up and properly marketed, but it would likely require patience to find that buyer, And I could be completely wrong about that WAG in either direction. The only way to find out is to test the market. For that, I'd put it on eBay as an auction only with no "Buy It Now" and with a stupid-high reserve and see how high the bidding actually gets. Actually selling through eBay is another matter - all you need is to have some squirrelly buyer get buyer's remorse and try to cancel the sale by claiming that it arrived damaged or wasn't properly described when the real reason is his wife (and it is highly likely it will be a man buying it) raises holy hell when it arrives and she finds out what hubby spent on it.

Thanks for showing this to us. That bike certainly is drool-worthy.