Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 05:02 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
are about to try and get me to join Amway?

Lose weight now. Ask me how!
Old 10-14-15, 05:08 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did one of the local uphill MTB TTs today.

45s behind the dude that won the Pro/1 Green Mountain Stage Race, despite me putting on a yard sale when I clipped my pedal on a rock that was hidden by fallen leaves. Going uphill, of all things. 18:21 vs. 19:06.
Old 10-14-15, 05:50 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
did the benchmark climb here in the tt extensions the entire goddamn way. boy I hope that's medicine because it certainly doesn't taste good. Saw <50 cadence for a while, 42/23 gearing and sustained 7% climb hurts.

did 18:30 timewise, at 363w vs. road PR of 16:09 at 425w. TT bike certainly hurt worse. Abs got very tired.
Dang, Fudgy, don't you have another cassette?

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-14-15, 06:11 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I've got nothing really structured planned til mid November. I feel so lost. I guess I'm switching to fred mode and will go snag some KOMs.
I'm with you. I'm participating in a Donut ride on Sunday: 60 mile ride to 7 donut shops followed by a donut eating contest which I will not participate in, I'm more of a sprinter when it comes to donuts, I could eat one or two pretty fast but that's my limit. Other than that, I have nothing planned for the off season.
Old 10-14-15, 06:56 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
Out of curiosity, does your handlebar setup permit a similar hand position to that which you'd have on your normal road bike? Put another way, could you climb on the TT bike in a non-TT position relatively effectively?

While I know "aero" is quite important, generating nasty watts at 7% is more important. Seems staying in the aerobars past 5-6% is a waste.
I can sit up and climb fine, but the point of the exercise is to stay locked in and to build endurance in the position.
Old 10-14-15, 06:56 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Dang, Fudgy, don't you have another cassette?
slow force reps!
Old 10-14-15, 06:59 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Still feeling Sunday a bit (Gunks 10k) but went out and looked at leaves and committed a couple of acts of strava terrorism and other non structured interval stuff. Like 3hrs of pedaling. Also had a sidewall blow out, but cash money tire boot saved the day.
Old 10-14-15, 07:34 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
slow force reps!

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-14-15, 07:34 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Commute by bike instead of caltrain this morning, 2.5 hours. Now I have to take the train home without my book.
Old 10-14-15, 07:48 PM
Maltex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3x10 @ threshold on the trainer last night. First day of trying to get to the "next level".

For the next 3 months I plan on doing threshold work on Tuesdays and Thursday, some tempo on Friday and 5 to 6 hour group/kitchen sink rides on Sundays.
I feel like muscular endurance is a serious limiter for me and my threshold power is underdeveloped. Hoping this should do a lot to address that, thoughts?

I can whip out my ewang for context if needed.
Old 10-14-15, 09:29 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Now I have to take the train home without my book.
Throw some ebooks on your phone? Suboptimal reading experience, but better then nothing.
Old 10-14-15, 09:42 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maltex
3x10 @ threshold on the trainer last night. First day of trying to get to the "next level".

For the next 3 months I plan on doing threshold work on Tuesdays and Thursday, some tempo on Friday and 5 to 6 hour group/kitchen sink rides on Sundays.
I feel like muscular endurance is a serious limiter for me and my threshold power is underdeveloped. Hoping this should do a lot to address that, thoughts?
Seems reasonable, provided you listen to your body and are smart with recovery. The biggest issue I've seen with any long term projections for training is athletes have a tendency to be a slave to a piece of paper instead of taking it easy when necessary. Also, wrt threshold work, longer repeats might be more effective (ie/ 2x20 > 4x10, even though its the same amount of work), but you have 3 months to work up to that.
Old 10-14-15, 10:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

When beginning threshold work my coach used to have me start with 3x10s, step it up to 3x12s, then 3x15s, then 3x20s, at a rate that I could handle.

What @maltax wants to do seems like an awful lot of work to be doing on the regular. That's 3 days of structured ftp workouts (tempo counts) and a pound yourself into dust ride each week. Maybe remove an ftp day, do a tempo day the next day after the ftp day that you keep, and add in a recovery day, so that way you can be fresh for the murder ride so you get as much quality from it as possible. Unless you're really careful, FTP work can wear you down quickly without you realizing it.
Old 10-15-15, 05:39 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
When beginning threshold work my coach used to have me start with 3x10s, step it up to 3x12s, then 3x15s, then 3x20s, at a rate that I could handle.
I do the same thing...except 2 instead of 3 once im at 15 minutes.

I think I need to step it up this winter though, and add that third interval.
Old 10-15-15, 06:55 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4hrs of endurance riding Tuesday, 3hrs yesterday, 4hrs up for today. Yeesh.
Old 10-15-15, 07:08 AM
Surfer3287

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2H of Endurance on Tuesday, Terrible 20's yesterday; legs are sore today but I will be away from my bike for job interviews until Saturday, so trying to will myself to go get some sort of ride in.
Old 10-15-15, 07:17 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Probably like 3hrs of light endurance today because it's purdy out.
Old 10-15-15, 07:21 AM
Sizzle82

Bikes: Cervelo S5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What @maltax wants to do seems like an awful lot of work to be doing on the regular. That's 3 days of structured ftp workouts (tempo counts) and a pound yourself into dust ride each week. Maybe remove an ftp day, do a tempo day the next day after the ftp day that you keep, and add in a recovery day, so that way you can be fresh for the murder ride so you get as much quality from it as possible. Unless you're really careful, FTP work can wear you down quickly without you realizing it.
When you talk about threshold what % of FTP are you talking about, just curious I'm still kind of new to power and am easily confused. On another note 1 hour of cyclocross training last night, practicing mount/dismount at speed without falling on my face. First cross race this weekend and have a feeling I'm going to get embarrassed.
Old 10-15-15, 07:30 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, if its done very close to 100% FTP it will be hard to recover from. If you instead do the work closer to 'sweet spot' training (high 80%'s to low 90%'s) its pretty doable day in and day out, but once again, you need to listen to your body.

Originally Posted by Sizzle82
When you talk about threshold what % of FTP are you talking about, just curious I'm still kind of new to power and am easily confused. On another note 1 hour of cyclocross training last night, practicing mount/dismount at speed without falling on my face. First cross race this weekend and have a feeling I'm going to get embarrassed.
90-105% of FTP is the typical 'threshold' zone (Z4).
Old 10-15-15, 07:34 AM
Sizzle82

Bikes: Cervelo S5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
Yeah, if its done very close to 100% FTP it will be hard to recover from. If you instead do the work closer to 'sweet spot' training (high 80%'s to low 90%'s) its pretty doable day in and day out, but once again, you need to listen to your body.

90-105% of FTP is the typical 'threshold' zone (Z4).
That what I thought thank you.
Old 10-15-15, 08:02 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
another 90mins at z2 (avg 180w) last night. definitely will mix in sweet spot, but nothing purely threshold for a little while, i think.
Old 10-15-15, 10:05 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Maltex

I can whip out my ewang for context if needed.
A couple of thoughts.

1. Maybe your threshold is underdeveloped, and maybe not. I thought that was my problem, too. Endurance and recovery were bigger issues. Which is tricky because they are less easily measurable than simple W/kg at threshold. Because of the kind of racing I want to do, threshold remains a major target for me, but I learned that it was actually more than high enough to hang in Cat 3 races and wasn't necessarily what was getting me poor results.

2. 2x threshold workouts a week for three months before the season even begins is... let's be kind, and say that this approach is unconventional. For many riders, it might be both more effective and more sustainable to focus on a blend of Endurance and Tempo work during most of the off-season, depending on time available to train - yes, with perhaps some Threshold level work as well. This will develop some threshold but more importantly a training base to handle a high workload, including Threshold work, as the season gets closer.

Obviously I could be totally wrong, I am not a coach and all that stuff. But if you have the training time to contemplate 5-6 hour rides (!!) on the weekend (by the way, how long are the races you are training for??), doing Threshold work twice a week all winter sounds like it will be most effective in making you too fatigued to take advantage of your lighter intensity work during the rest of the week. If you are heavily crunched for time during the week, that is a different story, but that also means that doing such long weekend rides might be ill-advised because they would probably hurt the effectiveness of your Threshold sessions. Basically I think this plan sounds unbalanced, one way or another.
Old 10-15-15, 10:45 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think grolby makes a good point - the plan seemed reasonable to me because I hold 110+ CTL and 15-20 hours a week. I wouldn't attempt a "5 hour kitchen-sink ride" every weekend without something close to that base level of fitness because it will probably ruin the rest of your week (and even with 100+ CTL the kitchen-sink ride might be something I do only every other week).

I think earlier in this thread you said your CTL was closer to 60 - maybe try 1 threshold/SST, 1 tempo and one shorter (~3-4) hard ride on the weekend?
Old 10-15-15, 11:00 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
I think grolby makes a good point - the plan seemed reasonable to me because I hold 110+ CTL and 15-20 hours a week. I wouldn't attempt a "5 hour kitchen-sink ride" every weekend without something close to that base level of fitness because it will probably ruin the rest of your week (and even with 100+ CTL the kitchen-sink ride might be something I do only every other week).

I think earlier in this thread you said your CTL was closer to 60 - maybe try 1 threshold/SST, 1 tempo and one shorter (~3-4) hard ride on the weekend?
Yeah, if CTL going into this plan is more like 60, that's a bit of a red flag to me about this plan. I mean, who knows, CTL isn't perfectly precise or anything, but mine is a bit higher than that and the workload described would crack me in a week. This also reinforces for me the suggestion that Maltex look at endurance and recovery before just cranking on threshold.
Old 10-15-15, 11:34 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a suggestion coming from one of the guys who does lots of miles and some pretty hard weeks: Try doing some longer threshold / Z2 rides before you get into the Kitchen Sink stuff. Some of my biggest gains I feel came from me doing really long rides where I just watched my powermeter and forced myself to stay at my Z2/Z3 threshold for 4-5 hours. By the end of sessions like that I was about ready to get off my bike and throw it into oncoming traffic.

At this stage of the game (base season) you wont get alot of benefit from kitchen sink stuff. That stuff is great for prepping you for the shenanigans at the end of a race, less so for building your threshold and/or recovery.

Learning how to deal with fatigue is something that I feel is overlooked. A race is not always a kitchen sink workout, nor is it a straight threshold effort. Being able to keep going when you are about ready to die is a skill that I feel translates well to any really hard race and it will in turn make you better able to hold your FTP when you get to the stage of "F*** THIS!" in your FTP efforts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.