Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing SRAM force axs 46/33 to wide 43/30?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 12:47 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Looking for a lower granny gear for my SRAM force axs system. i have a 46/33 double to a 10-36 cassette. To be comparable to my old mechanical shifting(46/30 to 11-36) it appears I would need to switch out my crank to a 43/30 wide and also replace the front derailleur with the wide front. Has anyone done this or familiar? Is there another way to obtain the lower gear? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-23, 06:28 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All you need to do is to replace your 46-33 chainings with the 43-30 chainrings. No change of crank or FD required.
Old 06-20-23, 01:44 PM
BikeTim42

Bikes: '91 Litespeed restomod, Salsa Cutthroat, Klein Quantum, Ventana El Saltamontes, '82 Bianchi Nuevo Racing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can also put a bigger cassette on the back. You may need to use a longer cage or Wolflink to extend the max cog capacity. My gravel bike is rigged with Force 1 RD with a Garbaruk extended cage and works with a 10-50 rear cassette in a 1x config. I don't think you could go that big with a front derailleur in the system as the total chain uptake could be too large (unless you want to be VERY careful about cross chain combos). But you should be able to get into the 40s. Take a look at the capacity specs with Garbaruk or other extended cage makers if you go that way.