Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 07:25 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
My favorite bike was a Trek, my wonderful 660 with its Reynolds 531 frame and Campy Victory group set. Of all the numerous bikes I have had over the years, this was the one with the sweetest ride, the best geometry, and the one which I had the best pedal stroke.

I don’t have much interest in more modern Treks, but I bought a new Precaliber for my daughter, largely because there is a Trek dealer only a few steps from where I live.
Old 01-20-24, 07:31 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I was not aware that they “kicked out” all the dealers. Sounds like fake news to me but will leave that fight to others.

The fact they offered any discount at all to someone who had a water bottle bolt come loose is amazing. This is on the guy who doesn’t check his bike over once in a while. Rather than turn on Trek coach your friend on basic bike maintenance.
Perhaps a poor choice of words. Around here, you can only buy a Trek bike at a corporate Trek store. And they only sell Trek bikes and Trek gear there. Shoes, gloves, wheels....all Trek. So, good for them; I can't buy Toyota parts at the Chevy dealer either. I just like to support my LBS, because the same guy is there year after year.

Now, the other guy's bike. If I buy a car, I would assume that it had been assembled properly. Failure happens, but not so soon. Someone's fault, but I certainly don't check my water bottle bolts regularly, do you? "Basic bike maintenance" shouldn't have to include checking on someone else's work.
Old 01-20-24, 07:38 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
A few months into ownership, a loose bolt from the water bottle cage came loose, got stuck between the chainring and frame and caused some minor damage. Their build, their fault. We were riding together, I saw it. Their solution, was to offer 10% off a new frame. THAT, is why I won't buy a Trek.
In my experience, some things are just hard to engineer and stand behind, even for the most reputable companies. Water bottle cages could be permanently attached, but apparently that is not best practice. Best practice is to check your bolts. Companies can't give away freebies every time something happens in the world.

On a side note, a BBQ grill that stands up in 99% of the world might rust out at the shore. A BBQ grill that will survive the shore is over-engineered for everyone else. At some point, end users need to accept that products are made a certain way for a certain benefit and stop whining about the manufacturer's choices.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 01-20-24, 10:25 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
We used to call those "JRA's". As in, " I was just riding along and the fork bent back to the frame ".
Old 01-20-24, 10:39 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Secondly, a good friend of mine bought a Trek with disk brakes, electronic shifting, all the stuff. A few months into ownership, a loose bolt from the water bottle cage came loose, got stuck between the chainring and frame and caused some minor damage. Their build, their fault. We were riding together, I saw it. Their solution, was to offer 10% off a new frame. THAT, is why I won't buy a Trek.
Wouldn't that have been on whoever installed the bottle cage?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-20-24, 10:58 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
They're just not interesting to me. Generally bland colors and a real "lowest common denominator" vibe, both in their vintage and newer offerings.
Not that this matters. I just thought I'd go ahead and post in a thread that's been on BF longer than I have.

A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 01-20-24, 04:03 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Just saw on our local Fox outlet KTVU a bit from their greatest cheaters show. Right up front Lance Armstrong. I agree.
Old 01-20-24, 05:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Face it, some people dislike everything or if they are obstreperous, anything you might like. IMO, life is way too short to get caught up in brand hatred unless they are doing something horrible to people or the planet. If that’s the case, boycott them. Too much hatred in this world already. Off soap box.

Old 01-20-24, 06:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Didn't take the world long to resume patronage of Mercedes, Audi, Merck, Bayer, DB, Hugo Boss, etc etc. I'll confess to buying Yuengling beer again after a brief wrestle with conscience.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-20-24, 07:25 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
As far as like or dislike Trek as a company...Meh. They seem to make a decent product at different price points.
I have 1 Trek in my quiver of bikes.It's not high end and, if I recall correctly, I paid $20 for it. Real reason I bought it was because it is a 19.5" frame and the $20.
It's functional, reliable, comfortable, and fits me well.

2008 Trek Alpha 3700
Old 01-20-24, 07:31 PM
bike eagle
Banned.

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Didn't take the world long to resume patronage of Mercedes, Audi, Merck, Bayer, DB, Hugo Boss, etc etc. I'll confess to buying Yuengling beer again after a brief wrestle with conscience.
I had to google "Yuengling beer controversy." Thanks for the tip. I'll have to buy even more of it now.
Likes For bike eagle:
Old 01-21-24, 06:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Try the Black and Tan.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-21-24, 06:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
How do you pronounce “Yuengling”?
Old 01-21-24, 06:08 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bike eagle
I had to google "Yuengling beer controversy." Thanks for the tip. I'll have to buy even more of it now.
I’d buy less of it, but I can’t, because I don’t buy any now, because it’s meh.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-21-24, 06:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

You don't want to hear how it sounds from my grits-mouth.
Old 01-21-24, 06:29 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Subjective data point here. I love my Trek Emonda ALR 5 that I purchased new in 2016. I replaced all the typical parts; wheels, tires, saddle, and bars, however, it's still a joy everytime I ride it. I also am wondering if the folks dissing on Trek are doing so because of the Lance factor versus having owned one and didn't care for the bike. Also, my LBS sold to Trek about a year ago and the same staff manages and works at the store providing the same top-shelf service I've become accustomed to.
Old 01-21-24, 07:26 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Years ago when Yuengling was only distributed East of the Mississippi, someone brought some back from a trip for me to try. I was not impressed. Then last year when it was made available in Oklahoma, a lot of restaurants yanked COOP F5 which is an Oklahoma product to put Yuengling on draught. That lasted a minute.

Back on topic... I've been very happy with my Domane and I didn't give a rat's patoot if Lance Armstrong used PEDs or took a shortcut every stage when I shopped for that bike. I wanted a new road bike and at the time we had a LBS in town that I wanted to support instead of going to Tulsa or buying sight unseen online. The shop I bought it from closed not because Trek forced them out of business, but because this was just not a profitable endeavor for them in this small town.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-21-24, 10:51 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I bought a used one of those back in college in '87. kind of a burnt red with yellow decals. 531 tubing. Campy Nuovo drivetrain with black Modolo brakes with aero levers. It marked the day I became a serious cyclist.

Rode the carp out of it in all sorts of conditions. Finally developed a crack in the head tube so I relegated it to the trainer. One afternoon, I dialed it up 400 watts and snapped the right chainstay clean through. Loved that bike. I actually rode it behind both 7-11 and Coors Light one day before the US Pro Championship.
Old 01-21-24, 03:16 PM
Lamont Cobb

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
I think that Lance was framed. Not that he was completely innocent. But I think that the Europeans were jealous of an American winning too much, so they came down hard on him.
Old 01-21-24, 03:52 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Face it, some people dislike everything or if they are obstreperous, anything you might like. IMO, life is way too short to get caught up in brand hatred unless they are doing something horrible to people or the planet. If that’s the case, boycott them. Too much hatred in this world already. Off soap box.
QFT. People love to dislike stuff. Life is short, move on.

Old 01-21-24, 05:40 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I like Trek, but all of mine are from the 70s and 80s, when Trek was new and cool, and the frames came mainly out of Wisconsin.
Tim
Old 01-21-24, 06:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Might as well keep it going.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...bontrager.html
Old 01-21-24, 06:31 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
I don't like that they kicked out all the local shops and now are exclusively corporate owned. In my experience, they have that corporate attitude that is very arrogant. If I want, I can go to the Apple store.

Secondly, a good friend of mine bought a Trek with disk brakes, electronic shifting, all the stuff. A few months into ownership, a loose bolt from the water bottle cage came loose, got stuck between the chainring and frame and caused some minor damage. Their build, their fault. We were riding together, I saw it. Their solution, was to offer 10% off a new frame. THAT, is why I won't buy a Trek.
It is not true that all Trek stores are corporately owned. There are still plenty of independent Trek dealers that carry Trek along with other brands. Independent dealers are under pressure from changes in the industry, that is true. In addition to more corporate stores, there is more of a "direct to consumer" effort by Trek in which the independent dealers get the "short end of the stick" via lost business and/or smaller margins for the same amount of work. However, Specialized is doing the exact same thing to its dealers. Canyon is "even worse" with its 100% direct to consumer model that bypasses dealers altogether. Yes, Trek deserves some criticism, but let's be fair about it. There is plenty of criticism to go around.

As for your water bottle cage "incident" in which you place 100% of the blame on the shop that built the bike, I'm calling major BS on that claim. Are you kidding me??? Bolts come loose all the time from normal, regular use. Road vibration is the common culprit. There is a certain amount of maintenance responsibility that falls on the owner of just about any product. Bicycles are no different. Do you expect your tires to never lose pressure after the bike shop inflates them? When they lose pressure is that the fault of the bike shop? If the bike shop lubricates your chain and it goes dry several weeks later because you failed to clean and relube the chain, is that the fault of the bike shop? No, it is not!!! As the owner, you (and your friend) can choose to not maintain your bicycles. Nothing wrong with that. However, you own the consequences of that lack of maintenance, not the bike shop.

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 01-21-24 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-21-24, 06:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,300 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by bike eagle
Didn't Anikan Skywalker kill all the Yuenglings?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-21-24, 06:57 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Why is Trek worse than Specialized? I don't see the difference.
Likes For bocobiking:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.