Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

E-bike Sales Overtake Bicycle Sales In Germany

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

E-bike Sales Overtake Bicycle Sales In Germany

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 04:19 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Let me rephrase. I don't mean those areas are sparsely populated. They are more densely populated than the surrounding lands. But they are not nearly as dense as they could be, and not only be liveable, but employment and shopping and entertainment, etc, all within walking or bicycling distance. Single-family "ranch/rambler" houses, are an extremely inefficient means of housing people, in the long run. People will say, "Oh, but sure, we have plenty of land". Let's see about that in a hundred years at current USA population growth rates, both birth and immigration. Most policies in the USA are predicated on growth. Borrowed money, to be paid off with greater revenue later, right? Don't worry about Social Security, with growth, we can continue to finance it, right? Don't worry about building cities in the desert, there's always water available, right? There is a limit to growth when resources are finite. Maybe sooner, maybe later, but you will run up against that hard limit eventually.
Old 03-18-24, 04:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos

Though I do understand that in the US at least, there are classes of e-bikes that are essentially electric motorbikes, which is obviously going to result in minimal exercise. Those won't be the ones the German article is about though.
This is true, e-bikes in Europe are much more like normal bikes and provide as much exercise as you like. They work well for a lot of people here who are unable to ride the steep hills (many are 20%+ gradients) on a normal bike. Also popular with bike commuters and delivery riders for obvious reasons.
Old 03-18-24, 08:49 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Where and why do we use "acoustic" to a bike? Doesn't acoustic relate to "sound"?
Yes, it's a play on words: think electric vs. acoustic guitars.

If it's not an electric bike, it must be an acoustic one, right? I got that from cat0020 .
Old 03-18-24, 08:52 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
We don't.... but education has gone severely downhill, and people no longer understand the meaning of words nor the use of a dictionary.

Referring to motorless bicycles as "acoustic" is just like wearing a sandwich board that says "My education is woefully embarrassing." In some ways, this is convenient, because as soon as you hear someone call a motorless bicycle 'acoustic', you know that you can safely ignore everything else they might say.
...or it could be that you missed a pun and are quick to attack someone, like many Americans these days. Rest assured I'm well educated. I also am blessed with a keen sense of humor.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 03-18-24, 10:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
If you think it's expensive to buy a home now, imagine what it'd cost if we all had to live within a few miles of the cities where all the jobs would be clustered.

That'd result in vastly more areas with population densities like those of Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, New York City, and Honolulu -- the five most dense cities in the country. And what are housing prices in those cities like? They are numbers 2, 3, 5, 6, and 10 in most-expensive housing in the country.

All those people living in the suburban single-family homes that you decry would be forced to move into the cities -- which would skyrocket those housing costs, and force current residents to move, or more likely, simply become homeless.
Even back in 1960 when I was at Moffett Field in the Navy, people that lived in San Jose, worked in San Francisco. They were driving the 50 miles both ways way back then

Last edited by rydabent; 03-21-24 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-18-24, 03:36 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
...or it could be that you missed a pun and are quick to attack someone, like many Americans these days. Rest assured I'm well educated. I also am blessed with a keen sense of humor.
No one misses the pun, misusing the word is just ignorant, for the reasons previously described in above comments. If you are as well-educated as you claim, you might've finished reading the thread before replying.
Likes For TC1:
Old 03-18-24, 04:57 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
E-bikes hit the market in Japan when Reagan was still president of the United States. There are and have been many makes and models available, however, e-bikes have never come close to outselling conventional bicycles. But energy prices are not as high in Japan as in Germany (which currently has the world’s highest energy costs), so there is less economic necessity driving the Japanese e-bike market.
Old 03-19-24, 01:39 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by rydabent
Even back in 1960 when I was at Moffett Field in the Navy, people that lived in San Jose, worked in San Francisco. They were driving the 50 miles both ways way back then
Housing in San Francisco was that expensive in 1960? (I don't know, I'm asking.) According to wiki, the city lost 10% of its population between 1950 and 1980. Of course, gasoline was cheap, and car ownership had drastically increased. But that's a long commute if you don't need to.
Old 03-19-24, 09:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Housing in San Francisco was that expensive in 1960? (I don't know, I'm asking.) According to wiki, the city lost 10% of its population between 1950 and 1980. Of course, gasoline was cheap, and car ownership had drastically increased. But that's a long commute if you don't need to.
Even back in 1960 there probably wasnt any unused space for housing and apartments. I dont think the 50 mile drive up to SF was considered a big deal even back then.
Old 03-20-24, 12:39 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by rydabent
Even back in 1960 there probably wasnt any unused space for housing and apartments. I dont think the 50 mile drive up to SF was considered a big deal even back then.
Thanks. Weird, with population going down in that period. I know people now that drive an hour each way into SF. Huge time suck. Glad I never had to do that. Even better when I could bike commute. Factor wasn't as much distance, but good bike route, most roads don't have wide paved shoulder. One commute for a couple years, fantastic, 13 miles each way, but all along a parkway with wide paved shoulder that you would swear is freeway (cannot bike), but starts just as the freeway ends, but same, four-lane, wide grassy median, wide paved shoulder, limited access, no traffic lights, but lower speed limit. That was just a super pleasant commute. Man that kept me in shape, weight down, BP 100/50.
Old 03-20-24, 08:41 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
We don't.... but education has gone severely downhill, and people no longer understand the meaning of words nor the use of a dictionary.

Referring to motorless bicycles as "acoustic" is just like wearing a sandwich board that says "My education is woefully embarrassing." In some ways, this is convenient, because as soon as you hear someone call a motorless bicycle 'acoustic', you know that you can safely ignore everything else they might say.
It was a joke. Everyone got it (almost). Geeze.

What's a "motorless bike?" Is that an actual term, or something you made up? Googling doesn't bring up any hits on the term. They've always just been "bikes" to me.

Last edited by smd4; 03-20-24 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-20-24, 11:41 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by smd4
It was a joke. Everyone got it (almost). Geeze.

What's a "motorless bike?" Is that an actual term, or something you made up? Googling doesn't bring up any hits on the term. They've always just been "bikes" to me.
The challenge for artificial intelligence has traditionally been humor. And empathy.
Old 03-21-24, 12:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Moderator note: if your post is about another person in a thread, there is a good chance it is pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable under the rules here. The weather here is horrible, and it's annoying. Let's not take it out on each other, no matter how richly deserved.