Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

700C 36H Rim-brake Rims for ~40mm Tubeless Tires?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 08:05 AM
ACHiPo 

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Looking for suggestions to restomod a 70s touring bike with tubeless 700c wheels to replace the 27” road wheels. The tubeless part is optional, but I do want 38mm - 40mm gravel tires, and they need to have 36 spoke holes to pair with vintage Sunshine hubs. I prefer silver, but would consider black with a machined brake surface.

I’ve found a couple options, but they are priced well north of $100 each—doable, but kinda breaks the budget.

I appreciate any suggestions, including replacing the 36h Sunshine hubs with modern 32h QR hubs.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 11-18-23 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 08:20 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
If you’re looking for budget-friendly 700C rims, it’s hard to go wrong with Sun CR-18. Easily available in 36-hole and either polished or silver anodized.
I don’t know if these can be made tubeless-compatible.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 11-18-23, 09:30 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Dt Swiss r460. Wide, tubeless ready, not a boat anchor, and highly regarded despite being lower in cost.

You will have to replace the 36h hubs unfortunately, the highest they manufacture is 32h.
Old 11-18-23, 09:33 AM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
If you’re looking for budget-friendly 700C rims, it’s hard to go wrong with Sun CR-18. Easily available in 36-hole and either polished or silver anodized.
I don’t know if these can be made tubeless-compatible.
Jeff,
Thanks. These indeed look great. It does not look like they are tubeless, however. That maybe an unobtanium combination. Thank you!
Evan

Last edited by ACHiPo; 11-18-23 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 09:39 AM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by Piff
Dt Swiss r460. Wide, tubeless ready, not a boat anchor, and highly regarded despite being lower in cost.

You will have to replace the 36h hubs unfortunately, the highest they manufacture is 32h.
Piff,
Thanks. That’s a possibility. I’d like to keep the vintage Japanese Sunshine hubs and have silver rims, but something may have to give.
Evan
Old 11-18-23, 09:41 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by ACHiPo
Piff,
Thanks. That’s a possibility. I’d like to keep the vintage Japanese Sunshine hubs, but something may have to give.
Evan
One of our own is selling a pair of nice quality 32h hubs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-included.html
Likes For Piff:
Old 11-18-23, 09:57 AM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by Piff
One of our own is selling a pair of nice quality 32h hubs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-included.html
Thanks for the lead. I need to get the frame and parts in hand to figure out the best way forward.
Old 11-18-23, 10:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Velocity Quill or A23 or A23 OC. They come in silver or polished silver. I’d use the A23 OC for a rear wheel. Carson City Bikeshop has silver A23 for $75 which is a steal. Don’t be too concerned about the narrow width. They work just fine with the width tire you want to use.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-18-23, 10:28 AM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Velocity Quill or A23 or A23 OC. They come in silver or polished silver. I’d use the A23 OC for a rear wheel. Carson City Bikeshop has silver A23 for $75 which is a steal. Don’t be too concerned about the narrow width. They work just fine with the width tire you want to use.
Looks like they check all the boxes, especially if I can find them for the Carson City Bikeshop price (the listed rims are 32h—I’ll call them to see if I can get a similar price on 36h)
Old 11-19-23, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Not many options in 36h, rim brake, and tubeless for under $100.
While a couple exist and were mentioned, just drop the tubeless part or the 36h part. It opens up options and you aren't forced into basically one rim.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-19-23, 09:39 PM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Not many options in 36h, rim brake, and tubeless for under $100.
While a couple exist and were mentioned, just drop the tubeless part or the 36h part. It opens up options and you aren't forced into basically one rim.
Thanks.
Old 11-20-23, 01:36 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Pacenti Brevet or H Plus Son TB14 for polished rims that are strong, light/light enough, build beautifully, and look the classic part. Thanks to post-Covid and inflation, a lot of quality-yet-not-expensive stuff is going to be around $100--it's just the reality of new rims these days. Brevets were $90 a few years ago, and can be had for that if a sale is right, but they're in high demand now, and go for $120. 28h, 32h, and 36h drillings. 455g, eyelet'ed, classy, and tubeless ready (aka use tubeless tape for the rim/spoke bed). TB14s, looking at them, are unfortunately not tubeless ready, but they do tick all the other boxes, including being various degrees of less than $100/rim. 36H, eyelet'ed spoke holes, classy as all get out. Dimensionally essentially identical to the Brevets, and about 50g heavier. I personally find them prettier than Brevets because their polish is actually mirror-like vs the Brevet's softer anodized polish/glow.

I have both rims on my bikes right now (amusingly, both on Trek 620s), with my '85 620 running 700x40mm brown wall Donnelly X'Plor gravel tires on TB14s. The TBs are laced to Ultegra 6500 hubs with straight gauge DT Swiss Champion spokes. The 620 rides like a Cadillac, yet is still plenty responsive. 35 PSI front, 40 PSI rear. I really enjoy it.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 11-20-23, 03:18 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Another plug for Sun CR-18. I built a wheelset with them, they are an amazing bang for the buck with boxed construction and eyelets. The 22mm width puts it square in the middle of the tire size you want.
Likes For abdon:
Old 11-20-23, 03:44 AM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Pacenti Brevet or H Plus Son TB14 for polished rims that are strong, light/light enough, build beautifully, and look the classic part. Thanks to post-Covid and inflation, a lot of quality-yet-not-expensive stuff is going to be around $100--it's just the reality of new rims these days. Brevets were $90 a few years ago, and can be had for that if a sale is right, but they're in high demand now, and go for $120. 28h, 32h, and 36h drillings. 455g, eyelet'ed, classy, and tubeless ready (aka use tubeless tape for the rim/spoke bed). TB14s, looking at them, are unfortunately not tubeless ready, but they do tick all the other boxes, including being various degrees of less than $100/rim. 36H, eyelet'ed spoke holes, classy as all get out. Dimensionally essentially identical to the Brevets, and about 50g heavier. I personally find them prettier than Brevets because their polish is actually mirror-like vs the Brevet's softer anodized polish/glow.

I have both rims on my bikes right now (amusingly, both on Trek 620s), with my '85 620 running 700x40mm brown wall Donnelly X'Plor gravel tires on TB14s. The TBs are laced to Ultegra 6500 hubs with straight gauge DT Swiss Champion spokes. The 620 rides like a Cadillac, yet is still plenty responsive. 35 PSI front, 40 PSI rear. I really enjoy it.
‘Thanks. I like the looks of the Brevet. Unfortunately they don’t seem to come in 36h (plus they are over $100.). The H Son look cool, too, but as you say not tubeless. Something may have to give, although so far the Velocity rims on sale look like they’ll work well if the shop has them in 36h.
Old 11-20-23, 08:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I have ordered from Carson City, transaction went well. A little light on communication but timely.
Old 11-20-23, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Here’s an Aileron in 36 hole for $70. Velocity says this one is tubeless ready as well.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-20-23, 09:51 AM
ACHiPo 

Here’s an Aileron in 36 hole for $70. Velocity says this one is tubeless ready as well.
Interesting. I can't tell if these are set up for rim brakes?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-23, 10:03 AM
cyccommute 

Interesting. I can't tell if these are set up for rim brakes?

Thanks.
D’oh!

That said, I think you may be making too much out of the need for “tubeless ready” rims. Early tubeless set ups used regular rims, regular tires, and duck tape. This article details how to use a regular rim to do tubeless set up. That would open up your range of rims.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-20-23, 10:21 AM
ACHiPo 

D’oh!

That said, I think you may be making too much out of the need for “tubeless ready” rims. Early tubeless set ups used regular rims, regular tires, and duck tape. This article details how to use a regular rim to do tubeless set up. That would open up your range of rims.
Agreed. I'm liking my tubeless set up on my other bike (35mm), and figure it'll be even better with 40 mm tires. Will check out the link on converting.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-23, 11:18 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

‘Thanks. I like the looks of the Brevet. Unfortunately they don’t seem to come in 36h (plus they are over $100.). The H Son look cool, too, but as you say not tubeless. Something may have to give, although so far the Velocity rims on sale look like they’ll work well if the shop has them in 36h.
The Brevets in fact do come in 36H drilling, as I said.

A23's are a well-regarded rim as far as performance, but they are not and have never been an attractive design. The silver versions do come cheapest, but to obtain a polished version is +$50 per rim on their site or simply well over $100 from other vendors. So that's out of the question for you, even if they come tubeless compatible and match the TB14/Brevet external width of 23mm.

Quills are a beautiful rim, but are expensive to start, and even more so if wanting polished (which I'd want if I wanted to pony up for them in the first place).

DT Swiss R460s are a great rim, as suggested, and have a nice profile, too.

Velocity Dyad's are the A23's beefier brother, and come with the touring and tandem spoke drill counts to back it up. Polished ones for just $65 each! Alas, not tubeless compatible as per one of your preferences.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 11-20-23, 01:35 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
A23's are a well-regarded rim as far as performance, but they are not and have never been an attractive design. The silver versions do come cheapest, but to obtain a polished version is +$50 per rim on their site or simply well over $100 from other vendors. So that's out of the question for you, even if they come tubeless compatible and match the TB14/Brevet external width of 23mm.

Velocity Dyad's are the A23's beefier brother, and come with the touring and tandem spoke drill counts to back it up. Polished ones for just $65 each! Alas, not tubeless compatible as per one of your preferences.
Eye of the beholder, I guess. The Dyad and A23 are almost an exact match in terms of profile and width and are similar to tons of other rims from other manufactures. I don’t find either one particularly ugly. I’d opt for the A23 just because of the weight. The added weight of the Dyad doesn’t really make much difference in terms of strength and really isn’t needed.

Old 11-20-23, 02:35 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Eye of the beholder, I guess. The Dyad and A23 are almost an exact match in terms of profile and width and are similar to tons of other rims from other manufactures. I don’t find either one particularly ugly. I’d opt for the A23 just because of the weight. The added weight of the Dyad doesn’t really make much difference in terms of strength and really isn’t needed.
Eye of the beholder, agreed. I have found that a 23mm external rim deals with really wide tires just fine, and the A23 is more than strong enough to deal with things. I've had up to 48mm (measured 45mm) on rims this wide and the ride was fine. If anything, it's the tire cross-section--in my observed case, the presence of tread lugs at the border of the main tread and the sidewall--that can help or hurt steering feel when pushing tire size beyond the stock size range.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 11-20-23, 03:41 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Velocity Quill rims are slightly higher internal volume than the A23 and just as light. They roll really great when running full tubeless. The lower rolling resistance when running full tubeless is pretty noticeable - as the full tubeless tires are grippy, shock absorbing & fast all at the same time. You can order them in 36 as well. The polished ones are worth the upcharge if you are interested in them having a mirror finish to be showy. Just be aware, if you go that route, they are not clear anodized. This means they are going to be higher maintenance than anodized ones & cost more too. I’ve learned to re-polish mine after riding in the rain without too much drama. I have found that I can polish them to a higher luster & remove water spots or potential corrosion spots or minor scratches (from a tight tubeless bead install for example) when the wheel is removed from the bike & mounted in a truing stand. I use Mother’s Mag Wheel Polish which has a faster cutting abrasive in it compared to the Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax that I do the finish wax with (for some protection from water spots when riding wet roads).

Last edited by masi61; 11-20-23 at 03:49 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-21-23, 08:01 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I dunno, I kind of favor the look of the Velocity A23s on a vintage bike, I’ve been using them on all my builds, since my source of nos Campy 36h rims dried out. Not running tubeless though, and all the rears are OC.
Tim

Likes For tkamd73:
Old 11-21-23, 08:12 AM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by tkamd73
I dunno, I kind of favor the look of the Velocity A23s on a vintage bike, I’ve been using them on all my builds, since my source of nos Campy 36h rims dried out. Not running tubeless though, and all the rears are OC.
Tim

Beautiful. I’d be happy with any of those in my garage or between my legs. Well, maybe not the latter—they’re too big for me and I suspect could be painful.
Likes For ACHiPo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.