Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compressionless housing did not fix spongy cable disc brake

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 06:23 AM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hello All

I just installed compressionless brake housing on my alloy Synapse. It completely got rid of of sponginess in my front brake, but didn’t help much with my rear brake. Are there any other options to help eliminate the sponginess in the rear brake?

The brake cable is internally routed and hooks up to a brand new trp spyre disc brake caliper. The housing is Jagwire KEB-SL

Thanks All!

Last edited by 2bridges1bike; 12-29-20 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 07:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,447 Times in 2,769 Posts
I had those brakes and liked them. If everything is set up properly, it's probably the length of the cable causing the different feel front/rear. Not much to do about that. Spongy rear brake may save you from an embarrassing lock up. You could think of it as a feature rather than a fault.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-29-20, 07:18 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Assuming you replaced the inner cable and outer housing and you made sure connections are secure at all cable stops including where the housing meets up with the shifter. Also make sure there are gentle bends in the cabling rather than sharp turns. Finally, what is the age and condition of the rotor and brake pads?
Old 12-29-20, 07:25 AM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
Assuming you replaced the inner cable and outer housing and you made sure connections are secure at all cable stops including where the housing meets up with the shifter. Also make sure there are gentle bends in the cabling rather than sharp turns. Finally, what is the age and condition of the rotor and brake pads?
Yes I replaced the inner cable and outer housing. There is an unavoidable sharp bend at the bottom bracket due to the internal routing. Stops are secure.

The rotor is one year old, and has been used for about 2,000 miles of outdoor riding.
Old 12-29-20, 07:27 AM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I had those brakes and liked them. If everything is set up properly, it's probably the length of the cable causing the different feel front/rear. Not much to do about that. Spongy rear brake may save you from an embarrassing lock up. You could think of it as a feature rather than a fault.
That is a good way to look at it, as a feature and not a flaw. I would feel a bit more confident on descents if the brake lever felt tighter though.
Old 12-29-20, 08:11 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
A few too many inches of housing from the lever to the frame may make a difference in feel. A loop can be too long, causing an unneeded change in direction.
Old 12-29-20, 08:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
A few too many inches of housing from the lever to the frame may make a difference in feel. A loop can be too long, causing an unneeded change in direction.
+1 I have the same brakes and housing on a Surly Midnight Special with, fortunately, external cable routing. I was careful to minimize the cable run to the rear brake to just long enough to allow the bars to turn fully without pulling on the housing. Yes, the rear doesn't have quite the firm feel as the front but it's plenty solid.

OP: Have you adjusted the pad/rotor clearance and alignment to minimize brake lever travel without rubbing?
Old 12-29-20, 09:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
I would suggest an experiment- Run an external housiinged cable to the rear brake. Compare it's feel to the internal one. Then choose which you like and go with that. Andy (who really dislikes internal cable routing)
Old 12-29-20, 09:42 AM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
The housing length is probably a bit in the short side, although I may take it to the lbs to get a second opinion of all else fails
Old 12-29-20, 09:43 AM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 I have the same brakes and housing on a Surly Midnight Special with, fortunately, external cable routing. I was careful to minimize the cable run to the rear brake to just long enough to allow the bars to turn fully without pulling on the housing. Yes, the rear doesn't have quite the firm feel as the front but it's plenty solid.

OP: Have you adjusted the pad/rotor clearance and alignment to minimize brake lever travel without rubbing?
Yes, I even tried closing the pads to the point were there was a slight rub in the rotor pads. It didn’t help much.
Old 12-29-20, 09:44 AM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I would suggest an experiment- Run an external housiinged cable to the rear brake. Compare it's feel to the internal one. Then choose which you like and go with that. Andy (who really dislikes internal cable routing)
That is an interesting idea, may try it out if all else fails
Old 12-29-20, 10:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
2b1b- Thanks. I have used this type of alternative set up suggestion over the years for various problems and have found it sadly interesting how many people are reluctant, hesitant or unable to consider an experiment that they can do with no one else's help.

Like when one is young and wanting to spell a word. Mother says "look it up in the dictionary". Which is, of course, is about learning how to find answers then actually how to spell any one word. Andy (who still doesn't spell or write too well but thinks he get's his ideas out there just the same)
Old 12-29-20, 11:12 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,500 Posts
flex?

while squeezing the lever look at the caliper.does it flex? are the pads centered to the rotor-each moving the same distance?are the pads parallel to the rotor? are the cable housing ends squared off?
Old 12-29-20, 11:30 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I use feeler gages to be sure that both pads have the same clearance, to within .002 inch. I use Juin-Tech GT-F hydraulic/mechanical calipers that adjust on both sides, as pad wear occurs. The cable tension knob still has to be adjusted occasionally, to compensate for wear. My frames have internal routing with a housing conduit that runs above the spindle axle. The housing pushes in from the top tube to the chainstay, with a firm push. I have tried both yokozuna reaction and jagwire pro housing and prefer the jagwire, but neither is spongy.
Old 12-29-20, 11:50 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Full-length housing is stupid and so are disc brakes. This combination will always feel less firm on the rear with a mechanical brake. Fortunately, the rear brake doesn't have a big job to do.
Old 12-29-20, 12:08 PM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
while squeezing the lever look at the caliper.does it flex? are the pads centered to the rotor-each moving the same distance?are the pads parallel to the rotor? are the cable housing ends squared off?
no flex in the lever though the pads could be a bit more ever soooo slightly more parallel, how would you adjust this?

Not sure what you mean regarding the cable housing ends being off
Old 12-29-20, 12:12 PM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I use feeler gages to be sure that both pads have the same clearance, to within .002 inch. I use Juin-Tech GT-F hydraulic/mechanical calipers that adjust on both sides, as pad wear occurs. The cable tension knob still has to be adjusted occasionally, to compensate for wear. My frames have internal routing with a housing conduit that runs above the spindle axle. The housing pushes in from the top tube to the chainstay, with a firm push. I have tried both yokozuna reaction and jagwire pro housing and prefer the jagwire, but neither is spongy.
Interesting suggestion to use feeler gauges. Any thoughts if upgrading to the hybrid hydraulic calipers might resolve this issue?
Old 12-29-20, 12:13 PM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Full-length housing is stupid and so are disc brakes. This combination will always feel less firm on the rear with a mechanical brake. Fortunately, the rear brake doesn't have a big job to do.

Yes it makes sense that the rear would feel less firm, but it’s a huge difference and others here, who I hope learn from, have been able to resolve this issue
Old 12-29-20, 12:17 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bridges1bike
no flex in the lever though the pads could be a bit more ever soooo slightly more parallel, how would you adjust this?
On IS mounted brakes, loosen the caliper bolts a little, squeeze the brakes levers, then tighten calipers back down with lever squeezed.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-29-20, 01:40 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,500 Posts
squared off housing end.

[QUOTE=

Not sure what you mean regarding the cable housing ends being off[/QUOTE] see pic;

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-30-20, 09:44 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
On IS mounted brakes, loosen the caliper bolts a little, squeeze the brakes levers, then tighten calipers back down with lever squeezed.

that is exactly what I do with my spyre brakes. Centers them perfectly every time, super quick and easy. Much easier to set up than the BB7's on my other bikes.
Old 12-30-20, 11:06 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bridges1bike
I just installed compressionless brake housing on my alloy Synapse. It completely got rid of of sponginess in my front brake, but didn’t help much with my rear brake. Are there any other options to help eliminate the sponginess in the rear brake?
If there is a sharp turn, maybe compressionless is not the answer?
Old 12-30-20, 11:27 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 491 Posts
Is it solid housing or is there a cable stop entering and exiting the frame?
Old 12-30-20, 02:19 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Another problem that can occur is the stiff cable housings fouling up the caliper centering and angle. I centered my calipers without the cables, actuating the lever by hand, then inserted the housing into the caliper. With the very stiff housing, this can be difficult.

I found that sqeezing the brake lever with the cable attached did not work because the rotors are not very stiff from side to side and the cable housing pushed with enough force to move the caliper.

Changing to hydraulic calipers is not likely to solve the problem and they are pricey at $250 for a pair of GT four piston calipers. I suspect the problem is mistaking freeplay for spongy.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-30-20 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-31-20, 11:43 PM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Is it solid housing or is there a cable stop entering and exiting the frame?
no cable stop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.