Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Boom Gitane TDF Conundrum

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Boom Gitane TDF Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 08:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob_R_59
I am VERY jealous of your TDF with Campagnolo dropouts. I officially hate my life.
Not me!!! My TdF with the Juy and claw

It just doesn't get better than this...
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-11-23, 08:42 AM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts
Darn!

It’s a bummer to learn that even your AV 3 front derailleur’s plastic cracked.

If I use a surplus Record FD, should I expect flak for my Simplex RD?! 🤷🏿‍♂️
Old 09-11-23, 08:48 AM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Gitane TDF Update

I removed all of the parts-except the cranks-and the paint and chrome look pretty good, except for the driveside rear dropout that “went through a garbage disposal.” 😱

Does anyone have a source for the top tube “Service Course” decal? I looked at the Cyclomondo website and Greg Softley appears to have all of the replacement decals except that one.

Here’s another oddity: the top tube brake cable clips were supplied by Huret, NOT Simplex…🤷🏿‍♂️

Oh, and of course the front derailleur’s plastic body was cracked.🙄
Likes For Jacob_R_59:
Old 09-11-23, 09:08 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Heads up on the crankset. Most likely french pedal threads.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-11-23, 10:20 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I have three bikes with Simplex derailleurs, one set is all-alloy and the other two are mixed alloy-steel-plastic (Delrin). The rear units have all performed very well. My FD with a Delrin body cracked, and I replaced it with a humble-but-loveable (and all-steel) Huret 700, which works fine.
Old 09-11-23, 10:28 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
It just doesn't get better than this...
Not with Simplex if that's a crack at the top of the inner face:

Old 09-11-23, 10:28 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Now I wonder if they made a run of large frames sans hangers.
IIRC, Gitane had a reputation for using whatever they had on hand, specs be d***ed.

Scott Peterson
Newport OR
...wishing I still had one of my bike-boom TdF's.
Old 09-11-23, 10:57 AM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Shall you play the roll and keep it vintage, go with a Simplex LJ1000 rear with hanger. Yes, it has Delrin body but does have a steel parallelogram. These particular derailleurs don't break. Nor wear out like Campagnolo.

You girls can argue much as you like, but from my experience and having N.O.S. Campy NR and SR, the Simplex shift with better precision and smoothly. Ugly, yes.

Ps. Don't fall for some of the ebay overpriced sellers. Just search Simplex cycling. Often found in a multi parts lot. Though right now listed from a UK seller is a LJ1000 with hanger, sans pulleys for $22.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 09-11-23, 11:18 AM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
For the front derailleur, another option for reliability and giving a few in the Eroica circle a head scratch, convert the craplastic to a matchbox type aluminum. Paint it black, too. 8 gram difference.

^^(Forget about searching for one of these.)^^

'72 PX-10 w/ LJ1000 rear and DIY ally matchbox front mech. Bulletproof.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 09-11-23, 12:35 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts

Does anyone have a source for the top tube “Service Course” decal? I looked at the Cyclomondo website and Greg Softley appears to have all of the replacement decals except that one.

Here’s another oddity: the top tube brake cable clips were supplied by Huret, NOT Simplex…🤷🏿‍♂️

Oh, and of course the front derailleur’s plastic body was cracked.🙄
It seems to me that at least one of the THREE TdFs and TWO Super Corsas that have passed through my hands had Huret brake cable clips instead of Simplex. I think they just ran with what they had. I suspect Gitane got in the habit of substituting things partially because they were competing with the 800 lb gorilla of the French Veloverse, Peugeot. I don't recall EVER seeing a Peugeot with substitute standard parts, whereas Gitane TdFs turn up with the OP's Simplex ends (also used by Jeunet on their model 630), the classical Simplex with an integral hanger that usually gets tapped and filed on to create a stop, and a certain number with Campagnolo dropouts. Apparently, they also used Huret ends with a Huret-specific hanger for European-market bikes.

If Simplex had used their same designs but built of aluminum all along, today we would all agree they worked much better than Campagnolo.

All of that said - this bike is going to be glorious. I have never ridden a TdF that didn't have that special something to it. And I note that yours appears to be a 60cm to top, and in the color I always lusted for. Why do I only find them in Omnium Vert?
Old 09-11-23, 02:35 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts

That's odd, I've ordered that top tube graphic from Greg. Try emailing him direct. He's easy to work with.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-11-23, 09:15 PM
Jacob_R_59 

Thanks, Folks!

Thanks for all of the great tips & ideas.That green TDF is lovely. Random thoughts:

1) Point taken on the French pedal threads. I use Soma CDM (Citoyenne Du Monde) English threaded pedals on all my bikes. These 170mm cranks are too short, regardless.

2) I’m toying with finding a metal Juy FD from the pre Delrin era. It might be even cooler to find a “suicide” front derailleur. That will get them talking…

3) I have 1 or 2 “surplus” Campagnolo front derailleurs…🤔
Old 09-11-23, 10:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Thanks for all of the great tips & ideas.That green TDF is lovely. Random thoughts:

1) Point taken on the French pedal threads. I use Soma CDM (Citoyenne Du Monde) English threaded pedals on all my bikes. These 170mm cranks are too short, regardless.

2) I’m toying with finding a metal Juy FD from the pre Delrin era. It might be even cooler to find a “suicide” front derailleur. That will get them talking…

3) I have 1 or 2 “surplus” Campagnolo front derailleurs…🤔
operationally, a “matchbox” Campagnolo front mech or an earlier Record with the cable stop would be the most straightforward alternate brand choices.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-11-23, 10:14 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
It seems to me that at least one of the THREE TdFs and TWO Super Corsas that have passed through my hands had Huret brake cable clips instead of Simplex. I think they just ran with what they had. I suspect Gitane got in the habit of substituting things partially because they were competing with the 800 lb gorilla of the French Veloverse, Peugeot. I don't recall EVER seeing a Peugeot with substitute standard parts, whereas Gitane TdFs turn up with the OP's Simplex ends (also used by Jeunet on their model 630), the classical Simplex with an integral hanger that usually gets tapped and filed on to create a stop, and a certain number with Campagnolo dropouts. Apparently, they also used Huret ends with a Huret-specific hanger for European-market bikes.

If Simplex had used their same designs but built of aluminum all along, today we would all agree they worked much better than Campagnolo.

All of that said - this bike is going to be glorious. I have never ridden a TdF that didn't have that special something to it. And I note that yours appears to be a 60cm to top, and in the color I always lusted for. Why do I only find them in Omnium Vert?
Tough being a Gypsy.
Old 09-11-23, 11:15 PM
marnar

Bikes: 70's Gitanes TDF; MB-3, '63 JC Higgins, Centurion Pro Tour 15, 80's Guilbilato, and a couple of Rex's

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Gitane TDF

Originally Posted by rando_couche
IIRC, Gitane had a reputation for using whatever they had on hand, specs be d***ed.

Scott Peterson
Newport OR
...wishing I still had one of my bike-boom TdF's.
That's what I heard...I have Sugino and Huret on one of my TDFs, with a Campy Headset. All French threading. Of course who knows what it came with originally. It still had one of the original Tipo hubs.
Likes For marnar:
Old 09-11-23, 11:17 PM
marnar

Bikes: 70's Gitanes TDF; MB-3, '63 JC Higgins, Centurion Pro Tour 15, 80's Guilbilato, and a couple of Rex's

I have a 21" like this one. It appears to have all original parts including the Ideale saddle and setups. Going to keep it.
Old 09-12-23, 02:51 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by marnar
That's what I heard...I have Sugino and Huret on one of my TDFs, with a Campy Headset. All French threading. Of course who knows what it came with originally. It still had one of the original Tipo hubs.
If it is a TdF and you do have a Campy headset, you may be playing with fire as the TdF’s steerer tube was cut for 33mm Stronglight headset and a Campy NR needs 40/41mm to purchase on sufficient number of threads. I’d measure the stack height to figure out what you should be using. Good news, if taller steerer tube, you might have a Super Corsa instead of TdF as Chas has been pointing out for years.
Old 09-12-23, 03:31 PM
marnar

Originally Posted by Markeologist
If it is a TdF and you do have a Campy headset, you may be playing with fire as the TdF’s steerer tube was cut for 33mm Stronglight headset and a Campy NR needs 40/41mm to purchase on sufficient number of threads. I’d measure the stack height to figure out what you should be using. Good news, if taller steerer tube, you might have a Super Corsa instead of TdF as Chas has been pointing out for years.
Thanks for the info. I don't know much about the bike but I like it's ride. I'll measure for sure. Interesting, there appears to be plenty of threads on the steerer so I think I'm ok. I thought the Super Corsa would have Campy fork ends. Wish there was more information on Gitanes. This one clearly, or not so clearly, has Simplex. Perhaps a fork replacement over the years. The only stickers left on it are on the seat tube.
Old 09-12-23, 11:40 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by marnar
Thanks for the info. I don't know much about the bike but I like it's ride. I'll measure for sure. Interesting, there appears to be plenty of threads on the steerer so I think I'm ok. I thought the Super Corsa would have Campy fork ends. Wish there was more information on Gitanes. This one clearly, or not so clearly, has Simplex. Perhaps a fork replacement over the years. The only stickers left on it are on the seat tube.
Go over to GitaneUSA site and read the posts from verktyg (Chas) and you will find a wealth of information on Gitanes … Chas has a number of posts just on TdFs.

Last edited by Markeologist; 09-12-23 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 09-24-23, 10:50 AM
Jacob_R_59 

Gitane TDF Update(s)

Hi Folks,

I’ve been busy making some updates to the Gitane TDF:

1) Wheels. The bike came with Roval aero clinchers which are all wrong for the early 1970s time period.

I had a pair of spare tubulars that came with my 1974 California Masi GC. Campagnolo Record rear hub, Gran Sport front (36h F/R) with mixed Mavic & Wolber rims. I brought them to Charles Hadron of Wright Brothers Cycle Works.

He trued them and repacked the rear hub. The front hub had pitted cones & races. Charles had a friend (thank you Chai, if you’re on here&#129761 bring by a 36h Record front hub & Charles relaced the wheel with the “new” hub and existing spokes.

Sacrilege maybe, but the rear hub was Italian threaded so I had Charles change the threading to English; I like to use modern (IRD/Suntour/Shimano) freewheels on my vintage bikes.

More to come and thank you for reading!

Jacob_R_59

I picked up the wheels yesterday. Chai very kindly provided the front Record hub and both skewers. 🎁
Old 09-24-23, 11:06 AM
repechage

Hi Folks,

I’ve been busy making some updates to the Gitane TDF:

1) Wheels. The bike came with Roval aero clinchers which are all wrong for the early 1970s time period.

I had a pair of spare tubulars that came with my 1974 California Masi GC. Campagnolo Record rear hub, Gran Sport front (36h F/R) with mixed Mavic & Wolber rims. I brought them to Charles Hadron of Wright Brothers Cycle Works.

He trued them and repacked the rear hub. The front hub had pitted cones & races. Charles had a friend (thank you Chai, if you’re on here&#129761 bring by a 36h Record front hub & Charles relaced the wheel with the “new” hub and existing spokes.

Sacrilege maybe, but the rear hub was Italian threaded so I had Charles change the threading to English; I like to use modern (IRD/Suntour/Shimano) freewheels on my vintage bikes.

More to come and thank you for reading!

Jacob_R_59

I picked up the wheels yesterday. Chai very kindly provided the front Record hub and both skewers. 🎁
change the threading to English… I know the difference, how was this done? That change in inclusive angle and the thread form at the peak…
Old 09-24-23, 11:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Chai is an interesting guy. Haven't seen him much these last few years. I did see him at the bike swap but by the time I was finished a transaction he had disappeared. I don't think he's a forum member.

Good choice having Charles do that for you, he is pretty much the only person I would used for work beyond my knowledge or tooling.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 09-24-23 at 11:14 AM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-24-23, 11:11 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Awww, the skewers are too new. Just kidding, those wheels will look great!
Old 09-24-23, 11:43 AM
Jacob_R_59 

Skewers?!

I should have seen THAT one coming. 🙄 I’m going to remove the rim decals, polish the rims (and the rear hub) and get replacement decals from Cyclomondo (Greg Softley)
Likes For Jacob_R_59:
Old 09-25-23, 09:25 AM
Jacob_R_59 

Hub Threading Change

I don’t know how Charles did this. I’ll have to ask when the shop is open, and post back.

Jacob_R_59

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.