Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is my aluminum frame still safe to ride...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 09:32 PM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

After riding about 125 miles on my new smart trainer (tacx neo) , I realized that the 130 mm axel adapter on it was too small, and I should have been using the 135 mm adapter. The bike is a 2019 Cannondale aluminum synapse. With the wrong adapter on I could visibly see the stays getting pinched inward by the qr skewer on the trainer. Fortunately aside from a little scraped paint on the drop outs, I don’t see any damage and the rear wheel still fits and spins freely. Is my bike still safe to ride outside?

I feel pretty silly about this, the bike did rock to the left a lot. I mostly did steady riding in the 180-200 watt rage. However there was one indoor session where I did some very short intervals in the 400-600 range and the bike popped out of the trainer.

Thanks in advance. Hope everyone is staying safe.
Old 04-15-20, 09:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
I highly doubt any frame damage was done and that the rest of the bike's life will be trouble free WRT that incident. However your comment about leaning to the left does make me wonder if it's from inadequate QR clamping, the QR end not properly fitting the stand's clamping or your off center fit/pedaling technique. Andy
Old 04-15-20, 09:57 PM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
However your comment about leaning to the left does make me wonder if it's from inadequate QR clamping, the QR end not properly fitting the stand's clamping or your off center fit/pedaling technique. Andy
Thanks for the response. According to the pedal dynamics info for the trainer, I do have unbalanced pedaling technique. This is why I didn't pay much mind to the rocking, kept riding, and didn’t check the rear axel width.
Old 04-16-20, 10:10 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Agreed, not likely caused any damage but have a good look at the welds on the chainstay joints. Long term use like that would probably shorten the frames life.