Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

More Banani - need help identifying wheels

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 07:04 AM
Bjerager

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane C5, 1998 Cinelli Aliante, 1984 Banani Columbus SL, 2003 Banani Columbus EL-OS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 10 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. But this week I aquired this 2003 Banani bike in Columbus EL-OS - size 57. Haven't come around driving it yet. It is equiped with spd-sl pedals, and only today I got my hands on a pair of shoes with clamps that fits the bike.

As all of Sverre "Lillebror" Nielsens frames this looks absolutely lovely, very light, and I'm looking forward to give it a spin. There is a tiny bit of slope in the frame. It is a size 57, newly repaintet, set up with a mixture of Shimano 105 and Ultegra 11 speed, in like new condition - the derailleurs are actually completely new. Light green metallic colour. Wheels from Black Inc - but I can't figure out much about the wheels. It says "Black inc Twenty" on the rims, byt they look very different to me than other Black Inc wheels that I've come across. And no "CeramicSpeed" mark on the hubs...

Stunning IMHO - not a single dent in the paint. I love the colour even though others might not feel as I do.

A legendary brand here in Denmark. Banani Builded frames for the likes of Danny Clarke and Freddy Maertens.

"Handbuilded in Denmark"

Can't figure out much about the wheels. It says "Black Inc Twenty" on the wheels, but they look quite different from the Black Inc Twent wheels that I can find on the net.

From behind, at the angle where most of the other cyclists out there will be seeing the bike as I overtake them...
Likes For Bjerager:
Old 02-03-24, 04:17 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
Donīt know about the wheels, but the yellow-green is a perfect color for a Banani.
Likes For kroozer:
Old 02-04-24, 08:18 AM
Bjerager

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane C5, 1998 Cinelli Aliante, 1984 Banani Columbus SL, 2003 Banani Columbus EL-OS

Originally Posted by kroozer
Donīt know about the wheels, but the yellow-green is a perfect color for a Banani.
Well, thanks anyway. It is indeed a very nice set of wheels. But speaking of wheels - I was hoping to learn more. Anyway. I don't think this is the lightest set of wheels available - what would be at good alternative for an upgrade?
Old 02-04-24, 06:23 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjerager
Well, thanks anyway. It is indeed a very nice set of wheels. But speaking of wheels - I was hoping to learn more. Anyway. I don't think this is the lightest set of wheels available - what would be at good alternative for an upgrade?
I would suggest you take this over to the Road forum. They are much more up to date on modern wheels like these.
Brent

Old 02-04-24, 07:03 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Banani??....sounds like an Iranian name....
I have a family friend who is Iranian with a similar name.
If it is Iranian, that must be rare to find such a bike.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-04-24, 11:30 PM
Bjerager

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Banani??....sounds like an Iranian name....
I have a family friend who is Iranian with a similar name.
If it is Iranian, that must be rare to find such a bike.
No, it is a Danish Frame with a Danish name - Bendt A Nielsen, the founder of the company had the nickname "Bananen" - meaning "Banana" as a young bikerider. So when he opened a bikeshop, he called it "Banani".

It is a well known mark if you were an amateur og a professional bikerider in the 70ties. The shop was known for their helmets and their very stiff, responsive and light handbuilded frames. Riders like Freddy Maertens, Danny Clarke, Ole Ritter, Hans Henrik Oersted and many more rode on his bikes. According to legend, Freddy Maerten rode a rebadged Banani and not a colnago when he won his last road world championship. For sure he bought a bike in the shop before the championship - I've seen a copy of the reciept.

Last edited by Bjerager; 02-04-24 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 11:54 PM
Bjerager

Originally Posted by obrentharris
I would suggest you take this over to the Road forum. They are much more up to date on modern wheels like these.
Brent
Thanks, i'll do that.
Old 02-05-24, 01:31 AM
JSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like a set of slightly older rim brake wheels from blackinc.cc?
Old 02-05-24, 01:39 AM
Bjerager

Originally Posted by JSL
Looks like a set of slightly older rim brake wheels from blackinc.cc?
I know, but thats about all the information regarding the wheels I can find. I would like to hear more. Quality of the bearings, weight, age, ect...
Old 02-05-24, 08:35 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
That sticker is pretty much useless as it clearly is an aluminum brake surface, not a carbon one.

"Black Inc" actually seems to be a high $$$ brand although at a first glance, it looks like Ali Express merchandise but i may be wrong.

Last edited by martl; 02-05-24 at 08:40 AM.
Likes For martl:
Old 02-05-24, 10:53 AM
Bjerager

Originally Posted by martl
That sticker is pretty much useless as it clearly is an aluminum brake surface, not a carbon one.

"Black Inc" actually seems to be a high $$$ brand although at a first glance, it looks like Ali Express merchandise but i may be wrong.
Well, there is also written "Black Inc" on the hubs, and not with a sticker. I have found out as much as the first generation "Black Inc Twenty" was in made in aluminnium.