Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Ranges

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 07:40 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Tire Ranges

I ride a Trek Verve 2 with Bontrager H5 700X45c tires. I do casual but extensive riding, only going about 10mph but over 100 miles a week. It is about 70% bike path, 20% suburban paved road and 10% gravel and simple, low tech single track.

I am looking at replacement tires and do not need more grip or more speed or more comfort. I am happy to pay for a premium tire and if I were to pay for more of anything it would be more puncture resistance. Despite the low usage off road, I very much value having the good grip when I am on a trail and am willing to give up speed and smoothness on pavement for that grip.

What I have works fine but it is no longer available. While looking online I am not seeing anything in 700X45c size and do not know how much larger or smaller I can go. My rims have 20mm inner width and 26mm external width.

Is there some formula for determining what size range I can consider?

Are there any recommendations for good all-around tires for a hybrid that might fit my rims?
Old 04-24-24, 07:43 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 141 Posts
Gravel Kings SS+ are pretty much good all around tire with great puncture protection.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 04-24-24, 11:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked 5,541 Times in 2,803 Posts
Agree, it's hard to beat Gravel kings and you can likely find a tread pattern that suits you. 42mm width is widely available, you won't notice a difference. If that's a motorized bike you might consider buying three tires at a time. The rear can take a beating from all the power and acceleration on hills.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-24-24, 01:15 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Thanks guys, those look good, and the SS+ comes in 700X45.
Likes For spinconn:
Old 04-24-24, 05:47 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
Check out the table in red and green for which tire size (width) is safe to use. Note that there is a statement at the bottom of the chart that the recommendations are conservative when it comes to safety. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Likes For VegasTriker: