Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mistake? Pairing Deore derailer with bar-end friction shifters and 9-speed cassette

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mistake? Pairing Deore derailer with bar-end friction shifters and 9-speed cassette

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 08:57 PM
daveed

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, ‘79 Centurian Mixte, generic mountain bikes (Nasbar frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Today I set up a Deore derailer (M592), bar-end friction shifters and a 9-speed Shimano XT cassette (11-32). On the stand the gears shifted smoothly. Yet later when I climbed aboard the bike (a Soma Double Cross) and began shifting for real the 9-speed chain didn't always engage the sprockets; they sometimes skipped a gear during a two-mile ride.

Is solving this problem merely a matter of fine-tuning the derailer or was it a mistake in the first place to expect smooth friction shifting given 9 sprockets in the back? (An earlier 8-speed cassette paired with an Ultegra 6800 derailer worked fine, fyi.)
Old 03-29-16, 09:15 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
For me.... 8 or 9 speeds in the rear is too much for friction shifting.
Old 03-29-16, 09:22 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
For me.... 8 or 9 speeds in the rear is too much for friction shifting.
I'd tend to agree with that. 7 and 8 are hard enough. My muscle memory and hearing aren't quite up to that.
Old 03-29-16, 09:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
I know folks shifting 10s by friction so it's in the realm of possibility. The key is that you need good muscle memory to sort of duplicate the detents of an index shifter. I expect that if you give yourself some time, you'll dial in where the shift positions are the same way a violinist can hit notes perfectly despite no frets.

BTW - since this is about touch sensitivity, you need to be sure the cables are as smooth running as possible. If your shifter has retro-friction or spring counterbalance that will also help on the downshifts.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-29-16, 09:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The bike that I ride the most is equipped with friction shifters and a 9-speed cassette. Works fine for me.

Friction shifters are so much cheaper that I felt it was worth the experimental risk. Before I set it up I worried over how fine of a touch it was going to require but it hasn't turned out to be an issue at all.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 03-29-16 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 09:45 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I occasionally ride 9 speed using bar end shifters in friction mode. I find that I just have to be very precise in shifting, fine-tune often, and still get chain "chatter" more than I'd like. It can be done, it's just harder than 7 speed.
Old 03-29-16, 10:17 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Much has to do with the ergonomics of the shifters.

I went from 7 to 8 to 9 on my Rockhopper with the original shifters & RDER.
My shifting improved as the number of cogs increased. 7 & 8 needed a push and a bit more (2 bits more with 7). With the 9, I had a very good "hit" rate with just the "push".
When I got the 2nd big with trigger shifters, my friction skills went down the toilet. I ended up putting trigger shifters on it too.
Old 03-29-16, 11:01 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
My Cross Check came with 9 speed bar end shifters (modern), which I immediately set to friction. Took me a little practice.
Old 03-29-16, 11:08 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I'd tend to agree with that. 7 and 8 are hard enough. My muscle memory and hearing aren't quite up to that.
6, 7 and 8 speeds have practically the same cog spacing and RDs have the same cable pull ratio, while 9 and 10 go narrower. So if 6 speeds work fine, 8 speeds should not be too bad. 9 and up is where it gets tricky.
Old 03-30-16, 04:33 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by daveed
Today I set up a Deore derailer (M592), bar-end friction shifters and a 9-speed Shimano XT cassette (11-32). On the stand the gears shifted smoothly. Yet later when I climbed aboard the bike (a Soma Double Cross) and began shifting for real the 9-speed chain didn't always engage the sprockets; they sometimes skipped a gear during a two-mile ride.

Is solving this problem merely a matter of fine-tuning the derailer or was it a mistake in the first place to expect smooth friction shifting given 9 sprockets in the back? (An earlier 8-speed cassette paired with an Ultegra 6800 derailer worked fine, fyi.)
One reason why the Ultegra 6800 worked better is that you have to pull more cable making it easier to fine tune your shifts. The Deore M592 requires less cable pull making it more difficult to hit each gear precisely
Old 03-30-16, 05:54 AM
daveed

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, ‘79 Centurian Mixte, generic mountain bikes (Nasbar frames)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
One reason why the Ultegra 6800 worked better is that you have to pull more cable making it easier to fine tune your shifts. The Deore M592 requires less cable pull making it more difficult to hit each gear precisely
Thanks for pointing that out. Would putting the Ultegra back on, assuming it will reach the 32t sprocket, make for better shifting with the 9?
Old 03-30-16, 06:00 AM
daveed

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
My Cross Check came with 9 speed bar end shifters (modern), which I immediately set to friction. Took me a little practice.
Good to know. Maybe practice is all I need. Not sure what you mean by "modern" but my shifters are the Silver ones promoted on Rivendell's site.
Old 03-30-16, 06:05 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If the pull ratio is the issue then 10 speed mountain derailleur will work even better. It requires more cable pull than the 11 speed road derailleur.
Old 03-30-16, 08:05 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@daveed - what I meant by modern is that they're Shimano indexed "click" shifting and can be adjusted for friction shifting for the rear. I believe that it had a Tiagra (Shimano) rear derailleur also.
Old 03-30-16, 09:29 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
upgrading to an indexed bar end shouldn't be too expensive, right?
Old 03-30-16, 11:41 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Which bar end friction shifters do you have? Do they have an adjustment for tightening them in the pod? Sometimes they can be adjusted/tightened loosely enough that when you shift to the larger cogs on the cassette they want to shift back down. Only time I've had any issues with friction shifting 8 or 9 speeds it was when the shifter was too loose in the pod.
Old 03-31-16, 06:08 AM
daveed

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Which bar end friction shifters do you have? Do they have an adjustment for tightening them in the pod? Sometimes they can be adjusted/tightened loosely enough that when you shift to the larger cogs on the cassette they want to shift back down. Only time I've had any issues with friction shifting 8 or 9 speeds it was when the shifter was too loose in the pod.
You are exactly right. This was the problem! I have Silver (something) shifters, and the directions do indeed specify the small ring on the side be tightened every so often. I need to pay more attention to the details. Alas. Thanks.
Old 03-31-16, 06:09 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ran 9 speed cassette with 70's era SunTour barcons and a old Deer Head Deore rear derailleur. I was able to use and adapt but it's less than ideal. When I sold the bike I swapped it to 7 speed cassette. When I built a new bike up, I bought some indexed 9 speed Shimano barcons from ebay for $40 to shift a modern Deore mountain derailleur with a 9 speed cassette. Much better!

Last edited by Mr IGH; 03-31-16 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 07:22 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by daveed
You are exactly right. This was the problem! I have Silver (something) shifters, and the directions do indeed specify the small ring on the side be tightened every so often. I need to pay more attention to the details. Alas. Thanks.
Old 03-31-16, 08:12 AM
daveed

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
I ran 9 speed cassette with 70's era SunTour barcons and a old Deer Head Deore rear derailleur. I was able to use and adapt but it's less than ideal. When I sold the bike I swapped it to 7 speed cassette. When I built a new bike up, I bought some indexed 9 speed Shimano barcons from ebay for $40 to shift a modern Deore mountain derailleur with a 9 speed cassette. Much better!
I have those SunTours, too, now sitting on my workbench gathering dust. I sorta wish I owned indexed bar end shifters.