Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Advice On a Single Speed Conversion - Lemond Bike with Vertical dropouts..

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 10:12 PM
Morghulis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I know just mentioning vertical dropouts is forbidden here. Hopefully, someone will help me out anyway. I have an early 2000s Lemond Zurich (carbon/steel mix) with non functional gears. I have no interest in fixing the gears and riding a geared bike, nor do I want to spend too much money on the conversion which rules out that great ENO hub solution. My plan is to try find a 'magic gear' using a half link if needed. However, I realize that a chain tensioner will likely be needed. Here are my questions..

1) My preferred gearing is 42 x 16 (69 gear inches, using Sheldon Brown's calculator) which allows me to climb almost all the hills in my area. The Lemond has chainrings of 53 and 39. A 39 x 15 gearing will get me to 68.3 gear inches... is there anything else to consider or will similar gear inch measurements produce similar rides? I should mention that I only ride for fitness and strength training (which is why I love single speed bikes).

2) If I decide instead to go with a 42 x 16 gearing, will any road/track chainring fit the current 5 bolt Ultegra crank on my Lemond bike? Can anyone recommend a decent budget brand - I've seen a few deals on 42T FSA chainrings on Ebay - are these decent? How about for the cog - any recommended budget brands?

3) If I use the existing chainring and one of the existing cogs, can I keep the same chain or should I still upgrade to a single speed chain? I thought I had read that a 1/8" chain should be used for a single speed setup, regardless of if the chainring/cog was designed for a different chain - is this accurate?

4) If my "magic gear" wish does not work out, can anyone recommend a tried and tested tensioner? Does the extra friction associated with the tensioner, significantly impact bike speed?

5) Should probably be question #1 . What's the downside to converting the Lemond to a single speed? I understand that if I go with the magic gear I'll constantly be fiddling to keep tension after the chain stretches, but assuming I manage to maintain tension or use a tensioner, are there any other issues that might surface. I love the feel of the Lemond bike on the road, far more comfortable that the crappy stiff aluminum Leader single speed I've been riding.....faster too.

6) Lastly, out of interest since I cannot afford this solution right now, how does the ENO eccentric hub compare to a standard hub as far as speed is concerned - is there any sacrifice associated with the eccentric design?

Last edited by Morghulis; 05-19-16 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 10:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Just make things easier on yourself and get another frame with horizontal dropouts. They're not exactly expensive or hard to find.

That's my advice.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-19-16, 10:38 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Gear inches are gear inches. The only effect that you'd have to think about with regard to tooth count is whether it will help or hinder you in finding a magic gear if you decide to go that route.

Any 130 bcd chainring should work fine. I use an Excess Components freewheel on my single speed. It was $20 and gets the job done.

As far as tensioners are concerned, you could just use the rear derailleur that's already on there as a tenioner, assuming it's not busted. Note that if you're going to run fixed gear, you cannot use a tensioner.

As far as I'm concerned, the only downside to running any bike single speed is not being able to shift.

Valar morghulis.
Old 05-19-16, 10:59 PM
Morghulis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seau thanks! I need to look up the high Valyrian for, "all men must ride single speed". I'm not sure if my Lemond has a freewheel or cassette - I'll check this out in the morning. What about chain size - should I go with 1/8"?

Last edited by Morghulis; 05-19-16 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-16, 11:54 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts
Only time you need a 1/8th chain would be if you're running a 1/8th cog or 1/8th chainring.

When you say "non-****ional" gears, what exactly do you mean? Broken derailleur?
Like others have said, I would try to get the bike functioning as a road bike, sell it, then buy a fixed gear bike as a starting point.

The Zurich is one of Lemond's better bikes with 853 steel!
Unless the bike was stripped, it shouldn't cost that much to get that bike in a good condition to sell.
You could most likely get $500+ for a bike like that depending on the condition.

Lemond's have a large following and the Zurich is a desirable model.

With that money you can buy a fixed gear bike and have everything ready to go from the beginning.

I just don't see the reason to screw up a nice road bike.

You can pick up a steel Fuji Feather for $500 Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | URBAN | FEATHER
or aluminum Aventon for $500 https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...-complete-bike

By the time you've spent the money to make the Lemond a proper single speed, you most likely could have spent the same to get it back to running order so you can sell it.

Last edited by Regulatori; 05-19-16 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 12:02 AM
Regulatori

I just did a quick nationwide craigslist search for similar year Zurichs.
Rad Steel Road Bike - Lemond Zurich (2001, 56cm) $500
LeMond 2001 Zurich 853 Pro Steel - Like New $700
Road Bike, Lemond Zurich- 2001 52 cm $700
2000 LeMond Zurich Road Bike $700

A bunch of the ads were "deleted by owner" which means the bike sold.
Old 05-20-16, 06:10 AM
daveed

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, ‘79 Centurian Mixte, generic mountain bikes (Nasbar frames)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
6) Lastly, out of interest since I cannot afford this solution right now, how does the ENO eccentric hub compare to a standard hub as far as speed is concerned - is there any sacrifice associated with the eccentric design?

I've owned two ENOs for six years. They work fine. Both are spaced at 135, fyi. No sacrifice (maybe $$) that I can tell. I also own a '85 Fuji road bike set up with Harris Cyclery track hubs on semi-horizontal drops. Can't tell the difference.
Old 05-20-16, 06:49 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I can only answer the Eno question. It's a great hub in itself but fairly expensive. It's available in 126, 130 and 135mm. It's really just the end caps that are different. Same hub. The only sacrifice would be the rear brake can be difficult to set up. With the Eno the axle rotates in an offset circle around the axle bolts. This means there are two positions in the circle that the tension is correct. One above the axle bolts and one below. On my bike the brake reach was not enough to position the pads correctly in the lower position and the tire rubbed the brake in the upper position. So no rear brake for me, but I run fixed only so it's not a problem. Single speed I would want a rear brake.

I understand wanting to prolong an older bikes life by changing things up a bit. I would probable just use spacers on the free hub with a single cog and a adjust the tension by going up or down a tooth on the rear. Or just use a tensioner. Pretty simple really.
Old 05-20-16, 12:32 PM
Morghulis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Lemond is in fairly rough condition - multiple scuffs and scratches on the frame. The previous owner did a poor job taking care of the bike, although no apparent structural damage is evident. Based on the frame condition and the non functional (not shifting - not sure why, no intention of getting it working) gears, I would likely get under $300 for the bike. The model is the Zurich with the True Temper OX Platinum/OCLV 120 frame with a 53/39 double in front paired with a 9 speed cassette in the rear.

I already have an aluminum single speed with carbon fork and seatpost (bike is going to my bro for B'day). I only ride on local roads and greenways and feel every bump with this bike. The Lemond, on the other hand, feels much smoother. I doubt I can get close to anything as light or fast for $300...any thoughts? I had considered, the Motobecane track - chromoly with Carbon fork for $309. However, I'm not sure this would be as light or fast as the converted Lemond.

So I will likely try use an existing chainring paired with one of the existing sprockets (will need some spacers) and the original chain.
Old 05-20-16, 01:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Morghulis
So I will likely try use an existing chainring paired with one of the existing sprockets (will need some spacers) and the original chain.
You can leave both chainrings on and only use one - but it looks dorky. You'll need shorter crank bolts if you want to take one off... or you could swap the chainring for a bash guard.

And a tensioner. The magic gear thing is very likely to be unsatisfactory. They all work, buy the prettiest one.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 05-20-16 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 01:17 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Regulatori
I just did a quick nationwide craigslist search for similar year Zurichs.
Rad Steel Road Bike - Lemond Zurich (2001, 56cm) $500
LeMond 2001 Zurich 853 Pro Steel - Like New $700
Road Bike, Lemond Zurich- 2001 52 cm $700
2000 LeMond Zurich Road Bike $700

A bunch of the ads were "deleted by owner" which means the bike sold.
I don't believe those valuations for Lemond Zurichs - at least here in San Diego, they are not going for that much. I in fact just bought a really nice 1997 Zurich (the first year it was made with 853) for $225. I realize I got a great deal on it, and the '97s tend to sell for slightly less than the '99-03 but I think the closer fair value is $400-450 or so, maybe just above $500 if it's in pristine condition. Any Lemond Zurich that was listed for over $500 hangs around a good long while unless it's really in cherry condition, which the OP's bike is not. I think he's right about getting in the vicinity of $300 for it, maybe more if he really tunes it up, which he doesn't wish to. I also think that the half True Temper, half 120 OCLV Carbon frames are less desirable than the full 853 frames are - particularly if the carbon is cosmetically rough.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 05-20-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 01:32 PM
Regulatori

Must depend on the market then. There is a guy down the street (retired bike mechanic) that's kind of a Lemond nut and he was telling me the Zurich's are still a sought after model. One of these days I'll post pics here of his garage...just rows and rows of classics he's accumulated over the years.

Maybe it's to do with the area. When I lived in San Clemente/Dana Point, I found so many used high end road bikes for super cheap. It's usually the crowd that buys a new bike every few years...and since the have money, they're more concerned with just getting the old bike out of the garage for more space. Or they move into triathalon and sell off their road bikes for cheap. Remember my friend picking up a Saeco Canndondale Team Issue (the Cipo bike that sold for $4000) for like $6-700 in 2006. lol The owner had some new Cervelo R3 and the Cannondale became "obsolete."
Old 05-22-16, 08:34 AM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I think you should still use FixMeUp! and try to get close to a "magic gear" and then use a tensioner to take up the little bit of slack, if there is a bit too much. I am wondering if there are chain tensioners that push up instead of down. Pushing up is preferable to insure adequate chain wrap.