Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I successfully swapped cranksets and now I'm confused.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 09:56 PM
Philatio
we are 138

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Years ago I had a 1x6 setup with gearing that just felt.. good to pedal. And I mean better than other bikes I would ride. Every gear ratio felt awesome.

Recently on an entirely different bike I switched out my cranks and my chain ring sizes, and it coincidentally gave me gear ratios very similar to the 1x6 setup I used to run. Which was kind of cool but the interesting thing is I got that same rightness feeling when I pedal it.

So does my body have ideal gear ratios based upon body geometry, strength, etc? Does my body remember the previous setup it was adjusted to? Am I just making things up?
Old 07-01-10, 10:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
There's a certain freshness that makes many changes feel great.

Anong others, I own a nice road bike and an equally nice fixed wheel bike. I'd be riding the road bike regularly, and one morning I'd pull it out and there's a flat tire or something. So to save time, I'd just pump up the tires on the track bike, hop on and go. It'll feel so fresh; snappy handling, low weight, and pure simplicity and I'd ask myself why it wasn't my everyday ride.

Sure enough after riding this gem for a few months something would happen and I'd pull the road bike out again. Unbelievable; so comfortable, having gears sure beats horsing the single speed up long grades, and the pure unfettered joy of coasting down a long steep hill.

Point is you're not imagining anything --- change is good, and fresh always feels great.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-01-10, 10:11 PM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with FB--fresh is good. Finding the right gears for your riding style is also good. Sometimes you go through a lot of permutations before it feels 'right', and sometimes you get it right away. Like luck, some people have more than others, I guess.
Old 07-01-10, 10:15 PM
Philatio
we are 138

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right but I'm trying to figure why I discovered the same country in magical gear happy land, twice.
Old 07-05-10, 11:37 AM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2X Luck?
Old 07-05-10, 12:30 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Studies have shown that people perform better in a cadence range between 90 and 105 rpm. With experience this range also
feels better.
Old 07-05-10, 01:03 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
For your region with your hill grades and your preferred riding speeds you found a setup that provides the ideal ratios. Move away to a new location with flatter or steeper hills and this will change. Similarly slack off for a while and lose some of your conditioning or hit the gym or begin ride training more and similarly your ideal speed to cadence that you have now will move to a new ratio. Your body will likely want the same cadence but with a loss or gain in conditioning the speed at which you achieve that cadence, and thus the "ideal" gear ratio, will change.

At least that's MY take on it....

My old single speed had a gear ratio that was like magic. My new single speed is close to ideal but it still isn't quite as magical as the old bike. This thread is making me think that I'll have to drop by the fellow that I sold the old bike to and ask him to count the teeth front and back so I can take note of what this seemingly ideal in town urban ratio was.

In your case, and assuming you don't plan on moving to a new geographical location any time soon, I think I'd want to record your current setup and squirrel the information away someplace. And not just the gear tooth counts. Your ideal feeling setup also includes the pedal crank length along with wheel and tire size to find the final tire contact patch diameter or tire tread circumference. Both the crank length and tire tread diameter are key to the overall pedal rotation to road distance travelled ratio that forms the complete system ratio which gives you this "feel".

Last edited by BCRider; 07-05-10 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 01:05 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
For your region with your hill grades and your preferred riding speeds you found a setup that provides the ideal ratios. Move away to a new location with flatter or steeper hills and this will change. Similarly slack off for a while and lose some of your conditioning or hit the gym or begin ride training more and similarly your ideal speed to cadence that you have now will move to a new ratio. Your body will likely want the same cadence but with a loss or gain in conditioning the speed at which you achieve that cadence, and thus the "ideal" gear ratio, will change.

Well said. I agree completely.