Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the etiquette on offering help to a cyclist walking with his bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the etiquette on offering help to a cyclist walking with his bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 02:55 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I often ask if cyclists with problems need help, but not always. I frequently pass by mountain bikers with flats because I can't help them with my road bike tubes.
I was once on a group ride in which one of the cyclists had a bike with 650 wheels. She had a flat 20 miles from the start and had no tubes, and it was a blowout that couldn't be repaired.
I agree that people should carry tubes/etc. to repair their own bike - especially if they use an uncommon size that others are unlikely to carry. But tubes are actually very flexible and I've replaced a few MTB fat tubes with skinny 700c tubes - it's not ideal and I advised them to replace it with the right size once they got home, but it was enough to let them ride home. We also once came upon someone near the top of our local mountain (Diablo) who had a flat on the 12" wheel of his child trailer. A 700c tube folded over a bit worked fine for that as well.
Likes For prathmann:
Old 01-28-15, 03:00 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always ask if they have everything they need. I changed a flat once for a lady that had it all but didn't know how to do it.
Old 01-28-15, 03:13 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Depends on the situation. If I see someone having trouble in a relatively isolated area, in obvious distress, or in bad weather, I'll stop to help. If they're in a well traveled area in the middle of the day and they aren't in any obvious distress, I'm likely to keep on riding unless they flag me down. I always stop for someone flagging me down.

FWIW, I always have a patch kit, multitool, pump, spare tube, ID, cash, and cell phone with me. If those aren't enough to get me going again and I'm too far away to walk, I'll flag down passing cyclists or motorists. But unless I'm in trouble, I don't expect people to interrupt their ride to offer help. Appreciate it when it happens, but no obligation exists.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-28-15, 03:21 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
So yesterday I suffered a blowout about two miles from the house. I don't carry a spare tire, so I decided just to walk home the last two miles, not a big deal. A couple of cyclist passed me w/o offering any assistance. I thought they would at least ask. I have always stopped to offer aid to people in that situation. Normally they have it under control, but I always offer. Even when driving a car. I've even interrupted my rides to help stranded motorists.

Is this typical now? Or am I just an over-sensitive old fart?
Here's what I know. I've been interrupted literally hundreds of times when I was fixing a flat or doing some other minor repair and it just slowed me down. The one time I needed help, I didn't wait for someone to ask; I flagged down help.
Old 01-28-15, 03:28 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I always stop and ask myself.. and the times I've been broken down, I simply get blown right by... heck one time I recognized a guy as someone I had taught to change his tube on the side of the road! You're doing it right... but you just gotta let other peoples behavior go, you can't make them act how we think we all should.
Old 01-28-15, 04:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
So do most people carry a spare tire?
Sometimes a spare ... but at least a boot.
Old 01-28-15, 04:16 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
So yesterday I suffered a blowout about two miles from the house. I don't carry a spare tire, so I decided just to walk home the last two miles, not a big deal. A couple of cyclist passed me w/o offering any assistance. I thought they would at least ask. I have always stopped to offer aid to people in that situation. Normally they have it under control, but I always offer. Even when driving a car. I've even interrupted my rides to help stranded motorists.

Is this typical now? Or am I just an over-sensitive old fart?
If you're walking the bicycle, I would figure you've got things under control. I walk my bicycle to get into the right position to take a photo ... or up a steep hill ... or sometimes to slow down and enjoy a view.

If you're in the midst of changing a tire or look like you're working on the bicycle, then I might ask if you've got everything you need.
Old 01-28-15, 04:40 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I do a lot of motorcycling and the first carnal rule is you never leave a fellow biker in distress, you have to at least stop and ask if they need any help!!!!!! I carry that same attitude when I'm cycling,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-28-15, 04:48 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
I always stop and ask. I carry a portable pump and emergency patch kit and always offer it to them, it's just polite to do.

One time, the guy didn't have a cellphone, so by stopping to ask, he was able to use my cellphone for a ride back home instead of having to push his bike home.

Now around here, the few times I have had a flat that I didn't bring repair kit for, locals almost always pull over to give me a ride back home.
Old 01-28-15, 05:15 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always slow down or stop and ask if they need help. 90% of the time they wave me off with a "Nope, I'm good" and I go on my way. On rare occasions I've come across someone who is ill prepared, or injured, and then I always stop to help.
Old 01-28-15, 05:36 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always stop and ask. Actually started carrying a 15mm after I stopped to help a cute girl who's lockring was stripped and I had to run home to get the wrench to flip her wheel.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I carry a pump (I have never figured out how to get them to do Schraeder valves, so I limit my offers of tire help to road bikes),
What pump? Is it Presta-specific,or is there a procedure to swap the head? If the latter,you should be able to find the directions on the manufacturer's website.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-28-15, 06:00 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I call out "You OK?" I carry a pump (I have never figured out how to get them to do Schraeder valves, so I limit my offers of tire help to road bikes), tubes (same issue), patches, a few allen keys and not a lot else. Oh, and I always keep a few bills in my wallet. I've used as many as four to limp home with gaping rips in my tire. I should get back into having 8, 9 and 10 box wrenches on me or a small crescent wrench, but there are usually ways to improvise.

As for the rest, chain, cranks, spokes, etc., unless I have reason to suspect those items, I would end up carrying a lot of tools for things that cause me to walk very seldom. (And if I really get stuck, I carry AAA Plus for its bicycle coverage though I haven't used it yet.) Maybe I should get back into carrying my Leatherman, a really good tool but a real jersey pocket eater. My smaller and lighter Gerber is much nicer in my pocket but is only a toy.

Ben
Hey moooney sounds like you're gonna need a automobile to carry all that,,,couple of MRE's maybe,,,,,, just joking around
Old 01-28-15, 06:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I have a buddy that gets all into it when he stops to help. He's fixing tires, adjusting cables, raising the seat, talking Q factors... Heck when I need a tune-up I just go sit in front of his house with the rim off.
Old 01-28-15, 06:34 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Wave next time...
Old 01-28-15, 06:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You shouldn't even be riding your bike anywhere unless you carry spare tubes, pump, tire levers and some basic tools.
Old 01-28-15, 07:18 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry a patch kit, tube and pump, but not a spare tire. First blow out ever in 40+ years of riding. I've repaired many flats while riding.
So do most people carry a spare tire?
Some people who use folding bead tires do. One will fit in a jersey pocket. Some people carry one in an empty water bottle, and stick it in the seat tube cage.

Wire beads are a little tougher to lug around, though.

I always ask,"everything OK?" when I pass a stopped bike. When someone is walking one, it's a good bet that everything's not OK.
Old 01-28-15, 08:46 PM
rommer25

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Sport, Fuji Absolute 3.0, Cannondale H400

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've had a couple of Roadies stop and help me with a flat when I first started commuting. I have had the opportunity to stop three times as of late. Each time, they had it under control. The last time, I had stopped to adjust something and two Roadies buzzed past met without comment. Later down the road, I saw them. One of them had his bike laying on it's side and the other one was on the phone. I wanted to buzz by but stopped anyway. One had a flat. I offered but they said they already called for a ride to pick them up.
Old 01-29-15, 02:25 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Pulled into the local mini-mall with my car and saw an older gent sitting on the sidewalk next to his bike. He had a flat and no patch, tools, tube etc. It transpired that he was about 20 miles from home. I let him use my cell phone to call a cab. I guess some folks just figure it'll never happen to them.
Likes For delcrossv:
Old 01-29-15, 05:17 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
...I changed a flat once for a lady that had it all but didn't know how to do it.
That's my wife. She rides with the kids to school and some on her own when I'm at work. She's not likely to sit down with me and learn how to change and/or patch a tube, but I installed an under-seat bag on her bike with a tube, her own Pedro's tire levers in pink (!), and a patch kit. I figure it's better for her to have the stuff in case she gets a flat and a guy happens to ride by and offer help.
Old 01-29-15, 06:23 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always ask, especially if someone is walking a bike, because I can't imagine walking my bike if I can ride it. Mostly, the answer is "I'm fine." Sometimes the person needs help. One time it was a well prepared rider whose multi tool didn't have the right hex key for what was broken. I had the right key and we were on our way in about a minute and a half. I enjoy being helpful and by the time I get to the heavily traveled areas I'm usually ready for a break.
Likes For jhazel:
Old 01-29-15, 07:30 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Around town, quite likely wouldn't ask. Ditto for driving. The catch is, I can't drive from my house to work without seeing a couple of cars stranded. If I stopped at each one, I'd never get anywhere.
I don't carry a spare tire on my daily rides, do on the tandem, but it's a 28 or 32, not a 25, so it's not going to fit many of the roadbikes out there.
Old 01-29-15, 07:32 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
why don't you carry a spare ? is the real question..

Normally I'd offer, but if I found out you didn't carry a spare.... honestly I'd wish I didn't offer.
Old 01-29-15, 08:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
IMO, we have to take it apart and look at the pieces.

The OP doesn't have the right to expect help. It would be nice if it were offered, or even if those who pass at least asked if he was OK. But this isn't the sea, and there's no unwritten law that requires offering help to someone stranded. By extension, it was also not the middle of noplace, or the desert or deep woods, so the only consequence of leaving someone stranded is that they'll be inconvenienced.

For my part, I'll slow down and ask if someone is OK, and if I can help I will, but in most cases I can't help because I have the wrong tube or pump or otherwise can't do much.

So, offering help is a good thing, but not offering isn't a bad thing.

BTW- based on observing over almost 50 years on the road, I suspect that cell phones play into this. Just about everyone has a phone on them 24/7, and people passing a stranded person might assume he too has a phone, and would have arranged help if he needed it.

Afterthought, what the OP should have had by way of spares isn't a factor either way. This is about passer conduct, and willingness to help a stranger. Those passing likely don't know the nature of the problem, and so are unlikely to think "I won't help someone unwilling to carry a spare tube".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-31-15, 05:01 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I usually slow down to ask if they need help. But if they are walking a bike, I might not.
Old 02-09-15, 08:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
That's my wife. She rides with the kids to school and some on her own when I'm at work. She's not likely to sit down with me and learn how to change and/or patch a tube, but I installed an under-seat bag on her bike with a tube, her own Pedro's tire levers in pink (!), and a patch kit. I figure it's better for her to have the stuff in case she gets a flat and a guy happens to ride by and offer help.
My wife's got a fully equipped saddle bag and I have taught her how to change a tire at least 3-4 times over the past couple of years. But each time I teach her, it's like she's never seen it before and it takes at least 1/2 hour to get through it. Plus, the bottom line is that she never just tries to change a tire on her own at home to see if she can do it without my supervision. I'll have to admit a bit of bad husband behavior - the last couple of times I've been changing a tire in the garage and she asks if she can do it with my help, I've refused because I'm usually in a hurry to get it done and teaching takes longer than doing. Like I said, I've tried several times, and I've just decided she has to learn it on her own at this point.

However, if she gets a flat, or one of her riding buddies gets a flat, at least they'll have what they need and either muddle through it, or if someone knows how to do it, it can get done. I have no problem with driving out to pick her up if she needs my help either, and I really don't mind doing all of her bike maintenance including swapping tires and tubes, etc. OK, I can't make Thai curry without her giving me direct assistance, and she doesn't give me grief about that.
Likes For Camilo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.