Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Recycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 04:53 AM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Recycling

This question has been bothering me. Does anyone recycle old metal bike parts? Are old cassettes, cranks, chains, etc. recyclable? I have trouble throwing things away and I have some old metal laying around?

What say you wise wrenches?
Old 08-15-13, 05:05 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Any metal salvage outfit should accept bike parts and pay cash on the spot. It may not be a lot but it does keep recyclable metals out of the waste stream and it is certainly better than paying someone to take it away.
Old 08-15-13, 05:08 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MikeM21, I recycle items that have truely reached the end of their service life.

Brad
Old 08-15-13, 06:00 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
We have a biweekly recycles pickup. I put my unusable bike parts in the bins for metal recycling.
Old 08-15-13, 06:28 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
If your city recycling program accepts all metal toss the steel items in the bin. Aluminum is worth taking to a salvage yard if you accumulate a few pounds and it's on the way somewhere.
Old 08-15-13, 07:12 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A local scrap yard around here has a motto "If it's made of metal, WE WANT IT!". Find a place that accpets it, if it's worth anything they will pay, hopefully enough to make it worth the gas to get there. If you get enough buy yourself a new toy for the bike.
Old 08-15-13, 07:37 AM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I could just toss them out with our weekly recycling, but I was really wondering if there were any Bike Parts-Specific recycling efforts. Maybe a silly question but every time a take off an old cassette I just can't seem to throw it out. Maybe someone could turn a 13-28 into an 11-23?
Old 08-15-13, 09:17 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Many bike shops routinely recycle. To do so, you need to separate metals by type, aluminum, brass, steel & stainless steel. Aluminum, brass and stainless are worth money if properly segregated, but regular steel is nearly worthless, though you might get a few cents/lb if you deliver to a scrap yard.

The hardest items to recycle are eyeleted rims because they are mixed metal. One shop that did lot of wheel work, made a punch device to quickly break out the eyelets so they could gt full value for the aluminum. rims free of eyelets should be broken into sections less than a foot or so long since scrapmen like denser items.

The best prices are paid for nice chunks like crank arms. Derailleurs must be taken or broken apart.

Mixed metals that aren't qualified as scrap can go with the household recyclables.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-15-13, 11:01 AM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
we tried separating out the metals like aluminum but we do not have the time or space. we have a scrap guy take everything as is and he sorts the metal himself. steel is worthless. only worth saving the aluminum if you want to do it
Old 08-15-13, 11:06 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by reptilezs
we tried separating out the metals like aluminum but we do not have the time or space. we have a scrap guy take everything as is and he sorts the metal himself. steel is worthless. only worth saving the aluminum if you want to do it
I worked in a bike co-op back in the 70's, and between wanting to be responsible and not throw away money we did recycle. We had a large used bike sale and buy-back program and a large basement, so we even took steel to the scrapyard. Aluminium was handled by a trash barrel for everything but the rims, which were simply put over the outside of the barrel.
Old 08-15-13, 11:13 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Detailed recycling is a pain, but bike shops can and should save clean aluminum (free of mixed metals) chunks like crank arms. These are easy enough to save, take up little room and over the span of a year can add up to a nice bit of change. The rest can be given to a mixed metals recycler who won't pay, but will teke away free or a for a small charge.

An alternative way to recycle is to call the boy scouts. Many troops have active metal recycling programs they use to raise money.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-15-13, 11:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeM21
Thanks for the replies. I could just toss them out with our weekly recycling, but I was really wondering if there were any Bike Parts-Specific recycling efforts. Maybe a silly question but every time a take off an old cassette I just can't seem to throw it out. Maybe someone could turn a 13-28 into an 11-23?
If your parts are still usable, find a bike co op near you and give them to them.

That's a part of what most bike co op places do. With regard to cassette and freewheel clusters,
it they are worn out to the point that they are not mechanically sound, do everyone a favor and
toss them in the metal scrap bin. We get large numbers of them that are beyond their useful
service life, and it is painful to go through them. Same with chains.
Old 08-15-13, 03:31 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Scrap rims are worth more per pound than crankarms are, since rims are extrusions they are worth more. I pick out the eyeleted rims and they go as "#2 extrusions" at my local scrapper. I think they were still worth more than clean cast but I don't have a receipt here to look at. I also picked out all the old hubs, brake levers and arms, etc. that all went as mixed aluminum since it's not worth the time to punch out every brass bushing and whatnot. Since I was doing the scrap for the local co-op it was mostly plain rims so the biggest pain is cutting out spokes, but a bolt cutter makes quick work of that, and then I snapped the rims in a bench vise. Aluminum frames are worth saving too.