Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Bikes With Good Components?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24, 07:16 PM
jwr0201

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX, Trek Lattitude MTB, Specialized Crossroads Elite

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

When I outgrow my current ride, I'm planning to get a new Hybrid bike with better quality (better than rock bottom) components that rides & shifts more smoothly.
What brands/models may fit that description? I'm interested in rides up to 10 miles on pavement. No trails, no gravel.
Old 06-19-24, 01:57 PM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Liked 110 Times in 40 Posts
What's your budget? Any must-haves? You can get started by looking at some of the usual suspects such as Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. - they all have hybrids with various levels of components/price.
Old 06-19-24, 02:51 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Liked 768 Times in 471 Posts
Are you "outgrowing" your current bike(s) physically (that they are too small now) or just not up to more modern specs? Don't know the year of the Specialized, but looking up the specs, seems it would be fine for rides up to 10 miles (and further). Unless the bike is in very bad shape and not worth upgrading, why not just upgrade the derailleurs and shifters and put some Kool-Stop salmon pads in the v-brakes. My old mtn.bike with mid-level components and v-brakes is fine for 10 mile rides-and further-once put 50 miles on it at a time and no problems and take it out for a ride now and then-usually around 15-17 miles.. New bikes with even mid-level components are expensive these days, upgrading a decent bike with better components just makes more sense to me, unless the bike is such a mess that it isn't worth upgrading.
Old 06-19-24, 03:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,553 Times in 3,050 Posts
I mean look for stuff with hydraulic disc brakes 10-12 speed, carbon fork (and maybe frame as well) and generally you will find something good. Generally the brand is semi-immaterial to a slight degree so long as the brand is a decent brand and has good support behind them. The real important part is a bike that is comfortable and fits you well and does what you need it to do.

In my universe most of my bikes are built from the frame up whenever possible so I can control everything I want but it is a more expensive way to go. However I get what I want and know if there is a component that isn't as good it was my decision not theirs.
Old 06-19-24, 05:14 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 16 Cdale Synapse 105, 88 Cdale M500, and a few others

Liked 639 Times in 341 Posts
https://www.jamisbikes.com/sequel/

https://www.jamisbikes.com/allegro/

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/use/hybrid

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/use/fitness
Old 06-19-24, 08:43 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Specialized bikes in the Sirrus family are a good bet. Depending on your price range and desired components the Sirrus 3.0, Sirrus X 3.0 or Sirrus X 4.0 are all solid bikes. On the Trek side the FX family have similarly solid offerings. Those are the only ones I'm really familiar with, but pretty much every major manufacturer sells something like this. Living in Florida you may not need an enormous gear range so something with a 1x11 or even 1x10 drivetrain may suit your needs and be simpler to operate/maintain.
Old 06-20-24, 07:56 AM
jwr0201

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX, Trek Lattitude MTB, Specialized Crossroads Elite

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Great info and suggestions to all who replied. Gave me some additional options! Much appreciated.
Likes For jwr0201: