Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear cassette spinning freely! Help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear cassette spinning freely! Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 08:26 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Like a few on here have said, your problem is the pawls got stuck, probably from too heavy of a grease. They'll eventually pop back out again once they either heat up, or the grease gives way. Although you've ridden it a few times since, it will most likely happen again, especially in cooler temps. Remove the freehub, clean out the old grease, and use something with a lighter weight. I don't know about Roval, but Mavic recommends a mineral oil. I find just mineral oil makes my freehub ridiculously loud, so used a small amount of white lithium grease and a bit of mineral oil, and it works like a charm. The whole job takes like 30 min. I'd do it sooner than later, because stuck pawls on a sprint sucks bad.
Old 01-02-22, 07:49 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
DT Swiss had a recent recall on some of their latest high end 2021 hubs (Ratchet EXP system) leading to loss of drive exactly as described here. Would be worth checking what hubs Roval are using as they could well be DT Swiss internals. There's an article about it here on Cycling Tips and it does mention Roval as an OEM fitment of these hubs

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/dt-s...vice-bulletin/
Specialized said they haven’t heard of this problem. I’m responding to them tonight with this DT link. Hoping it will help.

Just a note, I had NO warning noise or signs before having no drive/cassette spinning freely. I’ve been riding since within 5 miles of the house in case my wife has to pick me up again. No issues. Did a 40 mile ride yesterday with a low of 46, high 60 degrees. No issues. It was 55 degrees when it happened.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-02-22, 08:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by TTron
Specialized said they haven’t heard of this problem. I’m responding to them tonight with this DT link. Hoping it will help.

Just a note, I had NO warning noise or signs before having no drive/cassette spinning freely. I’ve been riding since within 5 miles of the house in case my wife has to pick me up again. No issues. Did a 40 mile ride yesterday with a low of 46, high 60 degrees. No issues. It was 55 degrees when it happened.

Thanks for all the help!
I heard about this through the Canyon owners Facebook group as a lot of their bikes are built with DT Swiss wheels and a few owners had experienced the problem. It only affects those specific new EXP internals, which Roval may well be using. Definitely worth checking to at least rule it out.
Old 01-02-22, 09:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
Like a few on here have said, your problem is the pawls got stuck, probably from too heavy of a grease. They'll eventually pop back out again once they either heat up, or the grease gives way. Although you've ridden it a few times since, it will most likely happen again, especially in cooler temps. Remove the freehub, clean out the old grease, and use something with a lighter weight. I don't know about Roval, but Mavic recommends a mineral oil. I find just mineral oil makes my freehub ridiculously loud, so used a small amount of white lithium grease and a bit of mineral oil, and it works like a charm. The whole job takes like 30 min. I'd do it sooner than later, because stuck pawls on a sprint sucks bad.
For someone that doesn't know exactly which hub the OP has you're ignoring that the odds are about 99:1 that the hub doesn't have pawls.
Old 01-03-22, 08:39 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Do you in fact have that particular DT hub (EXP ratchet)? I have a set of wheels with those hubs which so far have been fine, but it is annoying. I looked for the product code to see if I was in the bad range but it looks like I need to take things apart to find it.

EDIT: this thread motivated me to take off the disc rotor and sure enough I have a “bad” one. I am getting a free replacement kit from DT Swiss.. they were super prompt about it.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 01-03-22 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 01-03-22, 05:03 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Do you in fact have that particular DT hub (EXP ratchet)? I have a set of wheels with those hubs which so far have been fine, but it is annoying. I looked for the product code to see if I was in the bad range but it looks like I need to take things apart to find it.

EDIT: this thread motivated me to take off the disc rotor and sure enough I have a “bad” one. I am getting a free replacement kit from DT Swiss.. they were super prompt about it.

Specialized confirmed they’re using DT Swiss hubs and have seen the problem. My local bike shop cleaned a towel fun of grease off the insides! Took all of 5 minutes. Should be good, though they recommend periodic cleaning, Thanks again!
Likes For TTron: