Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What motivates you to ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What motivates you to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 08:05 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 1,012 Posts
This is why I ride my bike....

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-17-21, 10:39 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12

Days like this!!!
That’s what mama said there would be.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 11-17-21, 10:46 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

My wife has been known quite often to tell me —- YOU need a bike ride!

so I try to oblige regularly.

Even … if only shorties, when she says it on a rainy day
I used to hear that too, when I was still working. Retirement has about solved it. I love your stable of bikes!
Old 11-17-21, 10:50 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
At 82yo, for many years I have always tried for a well rounded fitness program, which includes bicycling, swimming, walking, resistance exercises, stretching, body metrics ,(,I.e.
​​​BP, cholesterol, etc. ) and nutrition.
My home situation is such that I've had to reduce my bicycling in order to help take care of the needs of my family and wife.
I ride when I can and often they are short rides. My computer batteries went dead a few years back and I've never replaced them. I do swim about 5 mornings a week as this compliments my wife's activities. I also walk. I ride because I just greatly enjoy cruising around talking to people seeing the sights. I look fit when swimming and often do my stretching at the pool, along with 3 minute planks and 20 to 30 push-ups. Younger people are always wondering how old I am and why I look so good. That's a great feeling. So I ride for fun, relaxation and enjoyment.

Last edited by gobicycling; 11-17-21 at 11:02 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 11-17-21, 10:50 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Mr Money Mustache says it well. "A bicycle is a money-printing fountain of youth." He also says, the risks of not cycling far outweigh the risks of cycling. Cycling through my working years led directly to early retirement, and cycling through 25 years of retirement has kept me healthy for everything else. After a lifetime of cycling, I can't imagine not cycling.
You are able to ride in two of my favorite areas. Just love CO and Tucson. We took a trip to Tucson a few years ago to look for a house but grand babies started coming and that ended that effort!!
Old 11-17-21, 10:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
All of the above, pretty much.

Except beer, alas. That went by the wayside when the celiac disease showed up.
Old 11-17-21, 11:06 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by MinnMan
All of the above, pretty much.

Except beer, alas. That went by the wayside when the celiac disease showed up.
I know it is not beer, but if you are looking for something on occasion, try some of the Mike's Hard Lemonade varieties. While they are not "gluten free", they remove almost all the gluten down to 5 ppm or something like that. A friend of mine has Celiac and every so often, likes to have an adult beverage post ride and this is something he is able to consume and not cause him any issues. He likes the Black Cherry flavor.

Old 11-17-21, 11:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Motivation is variety and choices

Originally Posted by jppe
I used to hear that too, when I was still working. Retirement has about solved it. I love your stable of bikes!
Diventa di nuovo un ciclista oggi

They do make me smile often…… And for soooo many reasons!

AustroDaimler Olympian - 531DB, narrow bars, narrow Sprinter tubulars, smooth frame, smooth components. Rolling in the drops given that nearly 20cm head tube is glorious

Tallerico endurance frame - full custom - sorta the AD Olympian with an updated lugged Columbus frame and Ergo10. Wearing 25mm Veloflex Arenburg.

Calfee TetraPro - semicustom (slack that HTA) carbon fiber, all day racer, running Ergo 10. Rolling with SPESH 24mm Turbo tubulars

@jppe - the whole forum has admired your rides (journeys)….and the bicycles have been worth admiring 2.

clear your handlebars and your mind will follow!

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-17-21 at 11:45 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 11-18-21, 12:17 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,208 Posts
My beautiful bikes, the sun, available infrastructure, belly fat, pot brownies, ...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-18-21, 06:51 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I know it is not beer, but if you are looking for something on occasion, try some of the Mike's Hard Lemonade varieties. While they are not "gluten free", they remove almost all the gluten down to 5 ppm or something like that. A friend of mine has Celiac and every so often, likes to have an adult beverage post ride and this is something he is able to consume and not cause him any issues. He likes the Black Cherry flavor.
Thanks, but hard lemonade doesn't appeal to me. I make do with - and sometimes even enjoy - hard cider.
Old 11-18-21, 07:03 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Thanks, but hard lemonade doesn't appeal to me. I make do with - and sometimes even enjoy - hard cider.
Ahhh, yep, same concept. I tool like the hard ciders on occasion.

Old 11-18-21, 07:39 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
You are able to ride in two of my favorite areas. Just love CO and Tucson. We took a trip to Tucson a few years ago to look for a house but grand babies started coming and that ended that effort!!
Yes, it's no accident we ended up here. Both places have a cycling lifestyle that fits us. We're able to live car-light, sharing one old car that gets used a few times a month (and is able to move us 900 miles between houses twice a year).

I just cycled up Mt Lemmon (8,300' in 70 miles) for the first time this season the other day. It reminded me again of why I keep cycling.

Thanks for the great thread.
Old 11-18-21, 08:04 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I will say all of the above (maybe not ice cream, but I love pastries). Looking at Wildwoods bikes motivate me as well if that makes any sense? I just love browsing through pictures of bikes on Pinterest and even looking through the GCN inspiration photos that people post. Believe it or not, when I'm not fully motivated to jump on my bike, I start browsing through other people's photo's and get inspired.

I look at my numbers but don't get too concerned about them. It seems the media or the industry is always telling you that you have to be improving, increase your FTP, get your cadence up, build your endurance, etc... I just like riding my bike, is there anything wrong with that?
Likes For gthomson:
Old 11-18-21, 08:10 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
I started riding in '76 after knee surgery on the advice of my surgeon. I found that I enjoyed it so much, I ended up with a touring bike (Romic, set up for multi day bike camping) and even dabbled a bit in some racing (custom Raleigh.) Then, for reasons I can't remember, I sold them both (still kicking myself over that) and bought a motorcycle. Good for the ride, not good for exercise. Heart attack in my 40s put me back on an exercise regimen, and back to cycling it was.

I can't do the distances I used to ride, as my knee now sounds like an old, rusty ratchet wrench, nor am I anywhere near 'racing speed', but I manage to keep my heart rate where my cardiologist wants it during exercise (okay, sometimes on a hard climb or a sprint zone in a club ride, my HR alarm on the Garmin goes off.) I used to do a lot of solo riding, but there just seems to be too many distracted / clueless / aggressive drivers now as compared to my touring days.

I got clipped a few years ago and ended up in the ER. Luckily, it was just road rash, a bashed helmet (which did it's job - the CAT scan of my head found nothing - well, nothing bad, anyway!), a good sized chunk of skin missing from my bad knee, and 12 stitches in my forearm. Had it not been for the one other driver on the road that morning, it would have been much worse, as the offending driver tried to drive off without stopping. The second driver chased him down and stopped him after checking to see if I was seriously hurt. Consequently, I only ride with a neighbor of mine, who still works during the day (I'm retired) or with the club on club rides, which isn't often enough. A lot of the club rides are well above my average speed, and distances / climbs only a migrating mountain goat would love. Thankfully, I have Zwift. Almost 2400 miles indoors so far.

I do love checking out new areas, having moved here with my wife to the Upstate (SC) when I retired. I'm looking forward to next spring, when I'll be taking a trip to Lowcountry for an organized ride. 43 miles, and the steepest grade is under 2%. I leave my driveway and hit a 7% hill to get out of the development!
Old 11-18-21, 09:26 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Looking at Wildwoods bikes motivate me as well if that makes any sense
Hey @gthomson = Go ride!

The Falcon takes me soaring every time. Without fail. Must be the red frame, or the perfect fit.

BTW, Thanks. Maybe posting too many pics isn’t a bad thing???
Old 11-18-21, 09:38 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
HUGE 'LIKE' for this thread and all the comments !
...although I'm not much into high content alkyhol... now, wine/beer is another story... LOL!
my biggest fear ? not being able to ride/walk/hike...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-18-21, 10:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
1 day at a time

today's motivation: good weather, bike was out of the basement already, doing a new exercise routine, finally after a long covid pause, losing the glutes so needing to keep them activated aside from the squat machine at the gym, got a new light so I need to get more nite rides in ... oh & the stars are aligned (lunar eclipse tonight)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-18-21 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-18-21, 11:09 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I claim to ride for exercise, but it's a lie.
I claim to commute to save gas, but it's a lie.
I claim to ride to reduce traffic, but it's a lie.
I claim to ride for my mental health, but even that's a lie.

I ride because I love to ride.

Fast, slow, short, long, flat, hilly, mountains, desert, recumbent, upright, road, trail, gravel, pavement, mud, vintage, modern. Heck I even loved riding in Texas, and I hated living in Texas.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-18-21, 11:53 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Yes, it's no accident we ended up here. Both places have a cycling lifestyle that fits us. We're able to live car-light, sharing one old car that gets used a few times a month (and is able to move us 900 miles between houses twice a year).

I just cycled up Mt Lemmon (8,300' in 70 miles) for the first time this season the other day. It reminded me again of why I keep cycling.

Thanks for the great thread.
I’ve climbed Mt Lemmon all the way up to the ski area and beyond. It’s amazing how the landscape changes isn’t it?? I’ve also done El Tour de Tucson but didn’t care for the hike a bike part. You’re doing what I’d dreamed of doing. I’d love CO in the summers and AZ the other months. But I’m also okay with the summers in AZ.
Old 11-18-21, 12:56 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Riding speaks to all my social conscience, alleviates health issues I had/might have, and I actually feel bad when I have off days... an addiction? Perhaps, but one I can live well with!

Since 04 Aug 2020, that's 3525 miles of gas and maintenance NOT put on my car. It is also (with diet) what keeps me out of the american health system. Get the motorists off the road and I am in heaven
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 11-18-21, 01:18 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Riding speaks to all my social conscience, alleviates health issues I had/might have, and I actually feel bad when I have off days... . It is also (with diet) what keeps me out of the american [sic] health system. ..
Amen to all of this. The health system will kill you if you give it a chance.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-18-21, 02:19 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Started commuting as an adult in 2013 to lose weight, and then after getting somewhat fit and losing 60 lbs, from 2014-2018 I too used to ride almost exclusively for the purpose of chasing PR's (both times and distance) and was ALWAYS trying to ascend every Strava segment leaderboard I could, on EVERY single ride, constantly pushing the limits of my new found (superhero level to me) fitness. Single, double imperial centuries, 1,000+ watt sprints, 13,500' in 111 miles (D2R2, ) 24hr rides, 400km brevets, Mt Evans, etc... all I wanted to do was get better and chase numbers. It consumed me and it felt great succeeding and becoming healthier/fitter than I ever imagined was possible.

Then incurable (but manageable) Stage 4 Lung, Lymph, Spine Cancer got me in late 2019, in the ICU with a collapsed lung due to the tumors pushing it closed, wondering if I'd even make it, let alone ride again. Luckily I had the type that was treatable with a pill, and in the Spring of 2020 I took my first rides again. PR's, speed, distance, and leaderboards were the absolute furthest thing from my mind. All I cared about was that I was BACK ON THE BIKE!!! and those first rides were so unbelievably bittersweet. That year I recovered enough to get ~3,000 miles in, including a century with my 27 yr old son, and a ride up Mt Evans from Echo Lake. Then in Jan of 2020 it decided to metastasize to the brain, which was treated in Feb, more found up there and treated again in May, which were big setbacks in my winter/spring training, but now in 2021 I've been able to get in 2,500 miles so far (and maybe 3,000 before the years over), including a 6,500' imperial century in Denver.

Now when I go out, I'm no longer riding to chase numbers, I'm out there because I realized I just enjoy riding and challenging my current self no matter what speed I'm going, and no matter what my power meter is telling me. Just as long as I'm out there, I'm as happy as I ever was chasing numbers or leaderboards.

My motivation is simply: the more I do this thing now, the more I'll be able to do it when the **** ultimately hits the fan again.

Last edited by Riveting; 11-22-21 at 11:55 AM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-18-21, 07:45 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Hey @gthomson = Go ride!
BTW, Thanks. Maybe posting too many pics isn’t a bad thing???
Keep them coming Mr. Wildwood, I love them. I know you've posted a few of the entire collection but can never get enough.
Old 11-18-21, 08:14 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Lack of parking spaces.
Old 11-18-21, 08:19 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me I need a bike ride if I slack off too long.
Opportunity for some Chateau Thames Embankment after the ride.... LOL!
Likes For cyclezen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.