Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

installing straight fork into tapered head tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 11:27 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts

My hardtail has a tapered (1 1/8"-1/.5") head tube and Rockshox Pike suspension fork. I plan to remove the suspension fork and install a rigid Surly Krampus fork for carrying luggage for bikepacking. The Surly fork has a 1 1/8" straight steerer tube and so I will need to adapt it to the headtube. I have pasted a link below to an example of a 1.5" -1 1/8" crown race reducer.

https://www.nashbar.com/fsa-steel-re...8aAqHsEALw_wcB

Am I correct in understanding that this is all that I will need to install the Surly fork using the existing FSA headset? It seems to be a relatively simple conversion if that is the case. However, it's not clear from the internet if the headset needs to be matched to a certain type of crown race reducer or if any particular one from a variety of brands (FSA, Cane Creek, Problem solvers, Wolf Tooth, etc.) will work.

Thanks

Last edited by mihlbach; 05-06-21 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-06-21, 02:56 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I did the same to put a Salsa Steel Firestarter onto my El Mariachi. I used a Cane Creek conversion crown: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=10602

My El Marichi used a Cane Creek Headset, and the geometry is generally consistent within brands.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 05-06-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 06:40 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Perfect!...thanks for verifying.