Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Frame Hinge issues?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 05:01 AM
antsjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I have the opportunity of a good deal on an MU P8 today. However, I just came accross something that really concerns me. Is it true that Dahon have issues with their frame hinges? Should I just wait for a Tern?

Tony
Old 10-19-11, 07:42 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by antsjack
... Is it true that Dahon have issues with their frame hinges? ...
DISCLOSURE: My wife and I own a bicycle shop that is an authorized Dahon dealer.

There have been random reports on this forum of Dahons with frame hinge problems. But, from what I have read, those seem to be with individual bikes rather than a consistent issue with a specific model. And some of those "issues" can likely be traced to an insufficient pre-delivery inspection or lack of user maintenance. More important, IMHO, is to confirm that the handlepost has been replaced if this is a model that was subject to a recall a couple of years ago.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-19-11, 07:57 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
More important, IMHO, is to confirm that the handlepost has been replaced if this is a model that was subject to a recall a couple of years ago.
Thank you for the heads-up Hank!

I checked my bike (DaHon Curve 8 SL) regarding the recall and it has the "R" stamped under the handlepost, so it's good to go in that regard.

However, the 8mm bolt that puts pressure on the white plastic (resin?) block keeps coming loose. I get about 5 or 6 folds/un-folds between needing to get in there and re-tighten it. Is there a good fix this problem? If this has already been discussed in detail in another thread, please advise.

Also, in reference to your note above, what user maintenance should be done on the main frame hinge, and approx. how often? The one on my bike is working fine, no complaints, but I want to keep it that way!

Thanks!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 10-19-11 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-19-11, 08:08 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a little loctite, a little common sense ...lol will keep that latch from getting loose ... as for the large frame latch ... same as what Hank replied... millions of dahons with that latch out there...

thor
Old 10-19-11, 08:53 AM
Micheal Blue

Bikes: Dahon Mu P24, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dahon Mu P24 has the frame hinge creaking. It was really loud. The bike shop (that sold me the bike) tightened it. Not that much of an improvement. I put some lubricant on the hinge parts. I'm not sure if or how much it helped. Somehow it settled down a little bit. Now it creaks occasionally, usually when riding over a bump or pothole. The creaking sounds like a loud sharp crack. The hinge is as tight as it can safely be. I nick-named the bike Fireworks: it's beautiful, fun to use, but can get loud, just like fireworks.
Old 10-19-11, 09:32 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by antsjack
I have the opportunity of a good deal on an MU P8 today. However, I just came accross something that really concerns me. Is it true that Dahon have issues with their frame hinges? Should I just wait for a Tern? Tony
From my limited experience with a MU P24, the main hinge is solid but the stem hinge develops play and requires occasional adjustments. Personally I prefer simpler and self adjusting hinges like the Brompton.
Old 10-19-11, 09:37 AM
Micheal Blue

Bikes: Dahon Mu P24, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Personally I prefer simpler and self adjusting hinges like the Brompton.
You're talking about a different class of bikes, though. Mu P24 sold for 800 bucks (CAD). Brompton for over 1300.
Old 10-19-11, 09:58 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that was true in the past Michael
I dont know about 2012 pricing for Bromptons, but the Mu p24 will be 1286.00 US dlr.
They are different bikes and shouldnt be compared, and definitely not by price alone ... but I digress

there should not be any loud cracks in the main hinge, period.
Maybe its too tight now?
Maybe its just to agressive riding through just a little too deep potholes or curbs ....
but there shouldnt be any loud noises ...

thor
Old 10-19-11, 10:40 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Micheal Blue
You're talking about a different class of bikes, though. Mu P24 sold for 800 bucks (CAD). Brompton for over 1300.
It's more a matter of design choice than price. The $300 Nova also has a self adjusting stem hinge and IIRC so are the Citizen bikes.

BTW, the Nova has a Dahon hinge on the main tube, with a Dahon licensing sticker.

Last edited by kamtsa; 10-19-11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-19-11, 11:57 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
A little Loctite, a little common sense ... lol will keep that latch from getting loose ... as for the large frame latch ... same as what Hank replied... millions of dahons with that latch out there...
thor
Hi Thor,

Thanks for the tip on the 8mm bolt! Which Loctite level do you recommend:

Purple = low strength.
Blue = medium strength.
Red = high strength.

Will stop by Home Depot on my way home and purchase Loctite!

Regarding the hinge, yes millions of DaHons use it, but what maintenance is required/suggested? Does it need grease or just a light weight lube (Tri-Flow, etc.)?

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-19-11, 12:21 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
... Regarding the hinge, yes millions of DaHons use it, but what maintenance is required/suggested? Does it need grease or just a light weight lube (Tri-Flow, etc.)? ...
I believe the "Service Instructions" book that comes with new Dahons has this information for the different types of hinges/latches. PDF versions of these books are currently available at https://www.dahon.com/support/manuals

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-19-11, 02:27 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
I believe the "Service Instructions" book that comes with new Dahons has this information for the different types of hinges/latches. PDF versions of these books are currently available at https://www.dahon.com/support/manuals
-HANK RYAN-Norman, Oklahoma USA
Thanks for the link Hank!

The hinge information was concerned with adjustment only and didn't address lubrication, so I guess it's not necessary. Good to have the adjustment info, plus the same for the handlepost (which has been giving me trouble lately!).

Also good to download the tech info on the Nexus hub, though I haven't had any problem with that bit; works quite well actually!

Rick / OCRR