Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace RD-7700 bar end

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dura Ace RD-7700 bar end

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 07:33 AM
danders

Bikes: Fuji World, Salsa Vaya, Rockhopper 96

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Dura Ace RD-7700 bar end

Doesn't index correctly, I get some double shifts. Can it be fixed or rebuilt?
Friction works fine.
Using 9 spd 11-34 cassette and Acera RD incase I have overlooked compatibility issues.
Old 03-31-21, 07:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Is the problem that the lever has more "free movement", when it's in the index mode, as it settles back into the detent? Or put another way does the lever have a greater amount of movement before it changes the denent it's in? If so then this is a well known issue of some older units. I have replaced a few due to this.

Of course one should do all the usual confirmations of cable friction (minimal), cable tension (actually casing length) and der alignment first. This hasn't been said and I won't assume that these steps have been done. Andy
Old 03-31-21, 08:29 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Loss of indexing is almost always caused by the derailleur taking a whack and knocking the hanger out of alignment. If you don't have the alignment tool, take your bike to a shop and have the hanger checked and aligned. They will detach the derailleur, tweak the hanger, reattach the derailleur, and adjust, usually for less than 30 bucks.
Old 03-31-21, 08:51 AM
danders

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Is the problem that the lever has more "free movement", when it's in the index mode, as it settles back into the detent? Or put another way does the lever have a greater amount of movement before it changes the denent it's in? If so then this is a well known issue of some older units. I have replaced a few due to this.

Of course one should do all the usual confirmations of cable friction (minimal), cable tension (actually casing length) and der alignment first. This hasn't been said and I won't assume that these steps have been done. Andy
Yes it seems to skip a detent and double shift, and lever seems to have greater movement on double shifts.
It lines up fine on the gears it selects. New setup so no bent hangers etc. Lower gearing for the Vaya.
Sounds like Shimano intends these to be non serviceable? Nice business model.
Old 03-31-21, 09:44 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by danders
Yes it seems to skip a detent and double shift, and lever seems to have greater movement on double shifts.
It lines up fine on the gears it selects. New setup so no bent hangers etc. Lower gearing for the Vaya.
New setup ≠ hanger alignment not needed.
Old 03-31-21, 07:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Welcome to the future of things. The bike industry has been tipping toward this model for decades. IMO the biggie motivation is us, the consumer. We eat up "newest and bestest" stuff and discount the value of last year's bestest. After a few years the LBS segment learned to stop buying the small internal wear prone parts in many cases. The factories reduced their production of too slow moving repair parts. It's a cycle with no real beginning or end point but it feeds on it's self just the same.

What to do about it? Stop buying the latest stuff. Sure... Andy
Old 03-31-21, 08:05 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
Check to make sure the chrome plastic bushing is installed correctly. After a handlebar swap once, mine would index 123, go friction 456, and then index the last three. Correct orientation of that bushing is key.
Likes For Edward1066:
Old 04-01-21, 06:40 AM
danders

Originally Posted by Edward1066
Check to make sure the chrome plastic bushing is installed correctly. After a handlebar swap once, mine would index 123, go friction 456, and then index the last three. Correct orientation of that bushing is key.
Thanks I will look into this over the weekend, seems like a likely possibility.
It's the washer/bushings in the center of image?
Old 04-01-21, 03:14 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
Thanks I will look into this over the weekend, seems like a likely possibility.
It's the washer/bushings in the center of image?
It's the plastic bushing still attached to the shifter body I was speaking about. It has 4 possible orientations, but, only one correct.
Likes For Edward1066: