Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 12:32 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Progress, of sorts..

Of course I've got the gut piles of 6 more bikes to sort and clean in the garage....

Skipped ahead with this one. WD40 and 5 minutes with a brush, this was what was under 50 years of grime. Its a little gritty feeling but there's potential.

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-22-23 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-22-23, 02:32 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater

Skipped ahead with this one. WD40 and 5 minutes with a brush, this was what was under 50 years of grime. Its a little gritty feeling but there's potential.

I fill ones like these with Marvel Mystery oil, drain and flush after a soak then fill em up with 50wt. oil, never fails and lots of miles on lots of these.

Would also encourage no WD inside it, it can strip the bearings ability to properly absorb lube, oil, etc. at the micro level.

Every one of these that can be saved and should be.

Last edited by merziac; 03-26-23 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-22-23, 04:03 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Got a hammer amd punch? (A big nail might work, too.) They're the easiest component to fully overhaul.
Hmm, lots of people would disagree. I've done it a half-dozen times but I don't relish it. Keeping the myriad tiny balls in their tracks, while simultaneously keeping the pawls compressed against their springs, is like keeping a lot of balls in the air — metaphorically. If you literally have a lot of balls in the air while reassembling a freewheel, you did something wrong.

Yes I know some tricks, and I can get them back together on the first try, but I wouldn't call it easy.
Maybe that's just me. pastorbobnlnh, what do you think, easy for most home mechanics?

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-22-23, 04:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Keeping the myriad tiny balls in their tracks, while simultaneously keeping the pawls compressed against their springs...
The balls are no more difficult to keep in place than headset balls on a crown race. I don't worry about the pawls at all, except keeping them free of grease. Loading the lower bearings on the body (not the back of the cluster) makes assembly of the two pieces much easier.

It's the only component that does not require a fine, manual adjustment, thus making it the easiest to overhaul.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-22-23, 05:50 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I spent an hour this evening at my co-op looking for a Huffy frame to cut up. Dismayed at not finding one, but was slightly entertained at a loud and pushy woman who thought she could just come in and take any bike for free. I'm not really sure she was raised to be that way, but tonight she was a a "Karren" on steroids. The shop foreman asked her to leave and not return, and she began arguing with him asking for his name (like she had any clout with the 501 that hosts the shop?). So I'm back home working on the design for the Campification of a Huffy. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-22-23, 07:54 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I spent an hour this evening at my co-op looking for a Huffy frame to cut up. Dismayed at not finding one, but was slightly entertained at a loud and pushy woman who thought she could just come in and take any bike for free. I'm not really sure she was raised to be that way, but tonight she was a a "Karren" on steroids. The shop foreman asked her to leave and not return, and she began arguing with him asking for his name (like she had any clout with the 501 that hosts the shop?). So I'm back home working on the design for the Campification of a Huffy. Smiles, MH
The Borg has assimilated another.
Old 03-22-23, 08:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
... a "Karren" on steroids.
Karren sounds like a Scandinavian Karen, so a really big one.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-22-23, 08:20 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

The balls are no more difficult to keep in place than headset balls on a crown race. I don't worry about the pawls at all, except keeping them free of grease. Loading the lower bearings on the body (not the back of the cluster) makes assembly of the two pieces much easier.

It's the only component that does not require a fine, manual adjustment, thus making it the easiest to overhaul.
Huh, the difficulty of adjusting them is one of my main complaints!

Suntours almost always tighten up too much when I hammer the ring back on. And I'm not going to leave it less than "rammed home", because of all the Suntours I've seen that performed an unplanned disassembly in the field. Have you ever tried to find enough balls to reassemble a freewheel after they fell out, over maybe 100 yards of road, and bounced off into the gravel? I have, twice. (Not my bike either time). We found that you can pack other things besides balls in there; one time it was a shoelace, another time a flexible green twig, anything to hold the inner and outer body somewhat concentric. Then a rock and a screwdriver to pound the ring back on. Works surprisingly well! One guy remembered a few months later that this "temporary" fix was still in his freewheel. He forgot because it worked near perfect.

So anyway, when working on one, I hammer it on REAL good, then usually find the bearings now bind up. Take the ring back off and scrounge around for an adjusting shim. I don't have a bag of NOS shims, though one shop I worked at (R+E) did; they managed to buy them from Suntour or whoever was distributing them, in about '82. We'd had a rash of self-disassembling Suntours, so we pre-emptively tightened every single one that went through our shop, and most of those had to have a shim added to keep from binding. But me without a bag o' shims, I have to cannibalize another grimy old dead Suntour to get some.

I may be overly paranoid, but it's like the old saying, "13 times bitten, really really shy".

Mark B
Old 03-22-23, 09:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Hmm, lots of people would disagree. I've done it a half-dozen times but I don't relish it. Keeping the myriad tiny balls in their tracks, while simultaneously keeping the pawls compressed against their springs, is like keeping a lot of balls in the air — metaphorically. If you literally have a lot of balls in the air while reassembling a freewheel, you did something wrong.

Yes I know some tricks, and I can get them back together on the first try, but I wouldn't call it easy.
Maybe that's just me. pastorbobnlnh, what do you think, easy for most home mechanics?

Mark B
Yes, many would disagree, I have never found the need to take one apart or ever had one come apart.

Also never needed to do more than flush and fill likely due to the fact that I don't ride hard, much.
Old 03-23-23, 01:03 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Todays candidate.
This was a "saved from the dump" bike, rattle canned with some functional bits of Suntour XCE.

I was a bit disappointed to find the rear axle busted and the cones trashed. I'm hoping the cups are OK. I figure a 7 speed Freewheel Hybrid wheel set like this would make for a nice 120mm 5 speed "Touring" wheelset.

I tried a little more acetone on the spray paint, and it looks like all the original decals are still there under 2 more layers of paint. the acetone ate the gloves off my hands, so I'll give another try with lacquer thinner later on.

The frame feels pretty light, is lugged has an ovalized down tube, and its pink. I'll put this in the someday pile for now.

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-23-23 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-23-23, 01:11 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Well, I had a bike arrive. And saw something you don't really want to see. I usually vet the seller a little better, but he assured me he had the pipe insulation and had packed bikes before.

Old 03-26-23, 03:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Sold another bike today ... to a guy close to my hood I had never met, a c&v snob (like me).

This is the second time Bob Freeman served as my wingman. He saw the ad and contacted the new owner, Gene, with "you should buy this." Thanks Bob! And Stuart! And Gene!

This is the second recent c&v sale that went pretty quickly. It gives me a little hope for the vintage bike market and our community. Of course, the prices aren't nearly as high as they were 5-10 years ago. But folks are still diggin' the old school steel.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-26-23, 04:18 PM
bark_eater 

Kind of sad about this one, but it was a wee bit of a wreck.

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-26-23 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-26-23, 04:41 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Todays candidate.
This was a "saved from the dump" bike, rattle canned with some functional bits of Suntour XCE.

I was a bit disappointed to find the rear axle busted and the cones trashed. I'm hoping the cups are OK. I figure a 7 speed Freewheel Hybrid wheel set like this would make for a nice 120mm 5 speed "Touring" wheelset.

I tried a little more acetone on the spray paint, and it looks like all the original decals are still there under 2 more layers of paint. the acetone ate the gloves off my hands, so I'll give another try with lacquer thinner later on.

The frame feels pretty light, is lugged has an ovalized down tube, and its pink. I'll put this in the someday pile for now.
Well I know like many of us, you have plenty of experience.

That being said and the level of ecosuppresion I would encourage you to consider Rustoleum aircraft stripper, while not as effective as it used to be, it will do the job if you combine it with heat, sunlight, good wire brushes including a welding one and the round tubing assortment from Harbor Freight so you can get into all the nooks and crannies.

Last one I did, the paint melted off once I got it softened and started by scuffing it with 100 grit.

Also used a heat gun to speed up the process a couple of times when the sun went down or wasn't keeping it warm.
Old 03-26-23, 04:43 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Bulgur said: Hmm, lots of people would disagree. I've done it a half-dozen times but I don't relish it. Keeping the myriad tiny balls in their tracks, while simultaneously keeping the pawls compressed against their springs, is like keeping a lot of balls in the air — metaphorically. If you literally have a lot of balls in the air while reassembling a freewheel, you did something wrong.

I have an old metal dental tray I stuck 3 speaker magnets to the bottom. It helps keep things in place until you want them. Easy to wipe clean when done
Old 03-26-23, 04:43 PM
merziac

Nothing, again.
Old 03-26-23, 04:48 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
How did it turn out?
It was OK. Seatpost and saddle was loose in the box. Stem was unwrapped and tapping the head tube. But, the wheels were zip tied to the frame and it appears nothing was damaged in shipping. It was a project bike to begin with, I guess.
Old 03-26-23, 05:07 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by merziac
Well I know like many of us, you have plenty of experience.

That being said and the level of ecosuppresion I would encourage you to consider Rustoleum aircraft stripper, while not as effective as it used to be, it will do the job if you combine it with heat, sunlight, good wire brushes including a welding one and the round tubing assortment from Harbor Freight so you can get into all the nooks and crannies.

Last one I did, the paint melted off once I got it softened and started by scuffing it with 100 grit.

Also used a heat gun to speed up the process a couple of times when the sun went down or wasn't keeping it warm.
I am kind of interested to see what condition to original paint and decals are.

It looks like someone who didn't appreciate the original pink main triangle, did a nice job matching the stays and fork with a gray. Later on some one else rattle canned black gloss over the assembled bike.

I put a lot of miles on a low end Bianchi Avenue hybrid, so I'm inclined to hold on to this one incase I "need" a hybrid....
Old 03-26-23, 07:20 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Robvolz
Bulgur said: Hmm, lots of people would disagree. I've done it a half-dozen times but I don't relish it. Keeping the myriad tiny balls in their tracks, while simultaneously keeping the pawls compressed against their springs, is like keeping a lot of balls in the air — metaphorically. If you literally have a lot of balls in the air while reassembling a freewheel, you did something wrong.

I have an old metal dental tray I stuck 3 speaker magnets to the bottom. It helps keep things in place until you want them. Easy to wipe clean when done
You do not want to magnetize the bearings, it can restrict the natural rotation of them even under load and cause abnormal wear and problems.
Old 03-26-23, 07:37 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by merziac
You do not want to magnetize the bearings, it can restrict the natural rotation of them even under load and cause abnormal wear and problems.
Plus it makes metal filings stick to the balls, and they're next to impossible to wipe off unless you demagnetize them.

I have several magnetic parts trays, but I would never use them for bearings. I hate metal slivers in my balls!!

Who's this Bulgur guy?
Old 03-26-23, 07:44 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Gave the bike owned by neighbor kid a tune up and changed tires/tubes for him. It was a bike that I sold to him a few years ago for $25 which is what I had invested in it. He picked up the tires and tubes and I did the free tune up.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 03-26-23, 07:49 PM
merziac

Plus it makes metal filings stick to the balls, and they're next to impossible to wipe off unless you demagnetize them.

I have several magnetic parts trays, but I would never use them for bearings. I hate metal slivers in my balls!!

Who's this Bulgur guy?
No idea, cousin, alter ego?

And the tiny filings are impossible to see so....
Old 03-27-23, 08:53 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Today the sun is out and I will get a good spin, but that's not what I'm posting about. I was a very happy camper I did two sales in one day.

First was the Astra, an add was posted to Craigslist got a reply in less than an hour, then sold 30 minutes later. Tour de Belgeque a tank by any means. Sold with no pictures non the less. I think the wing nut hubs sealed the deal.

Then later in the afternoon the (semi) affordable Pinarello sold to a guy that was focused on riding to Whidbey Island. The bike is/was two sizes small but he had to have it. He already has plans to sell before he paid even. This bike had a big number of hits to the add from here to a guy in Florida (actually two different people from FLA) wanted. Two people were trying to buy on the same day, one from Vancouver BC. Two people from Portland inquiried, one of which is a BF member.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-27-23, 07:10 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
I meant to post this yesterday but stuff happened. What I did (yesterday) was sneak off to a bike stuff swap meet put on by the Portland Community Cycling Center. It was held at an empty space (formerly a Marshall's) in the Lloyd Center mall. The CCC had some C&V parts out, some of which I found drool-worthy. On the other hand, I already have projects in the queue and an overwhelming task at work so I'm not taking on anything new.

One vendor (not CCC) had several pairs of 180mm and 185mm crankarms for sale. It was fun to commiserate with a crowd of six-foot-plus riders about the current availability of long cranks. My knees no longer like long crankarms so I've "shortened" to 175mm on most of my bikes.

Here's what they had in terms of frames. That Nishiki Linear TT bike looks like a back breaker, and the "Merckx" frame is questionable with that fork-mounted light bracket. The Supergo mountain bike frame included the Hite-Rite.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 03-27-23, 07:18 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts

The Southern Hemispere racing season having recently concluded I took this semi-classic out for almost four leisurely hours today, its first ride in several months and after a recent stem swap, left Ergopower rebuild and pedal service. The stem slipped a shade, the right Ergopower was stiff and the 9-speed 39x28 low was a little high at times. It was great.
Likes For seagrade:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.