Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kamra Aero II

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kamra Aero II

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-22, 06:14 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
How important is to stay with original parts vs similar period correct vs new part that fits
For your particular bike, period correct will probably be best in terms of cost to replace vs resale value. Ideally you'll be able to find the same crank and just add whatever pedals fit. If you can't find the crank, I'd replace both sides with a same or higher quality crank. Although if you're trying to maximize profit parting it out will bring in the most money, albeit with more work. It looks like the post and seat aren't original so I wouldn't worry about returning the crank and pedal to OEM, especially because while this bike is nice, it's not exactly a collectors item.

Also I'm glad you added to this thread over starting a new one, because I like reading the original post and comments. But hey, that's just moi.

Good luck !
Likes For romperrr:
Old 12-26-22, 06:55 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
For your particular bike, period correct will probably be best in terms of cost to replace vs resale value. Ideally you'll be able to find the same crank and just add whatever pedals fit. If you can't find the crank, I'd replace both sides with a same or higher quality crank. Although if you're trying to maximize profit parting it out will bring in the most money, albeit with more work. It looks like the post and seat aren't original so I wouldn't worry about returning the crank and pedal to OEM, especially because while this bike is nice, it's not exactly a collectors item.

Also I'm glad you added to this thread over starting a new one, because I like reading the original post and comments. But hey, that's just moi.

Good luck !
Agree, post and seat don't look original, however, I'd like to keep the red and white theme. It also came with white bottle cage, which I removed for now, and I'm thinking of wrapping it with white handlebar tape as well. Our local bike rescue offered to look for replacement parts after the holidays.
Old 12-26-22, 08:18 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
not sure if I should create a separate thread, but I just picked up an identical bike to restore this winter. The issue is left crank arm is stripped and pedal missing. How important is to stay with original parts vs similar period correct vs new part that fits, in case I want to resale it at some point.

RE: the stripped out NDS (non-drive side) crank arm, for sure if you’re going to keep and ride the bike, just about any arm (that looks similar and is the same length) will suffice. Not totally sure but pretty sure that a full service bike shop could “fix” that arm with an insert of some sort. Others may chime in on that idea. Not sure if the resale value would be worth the cost? Again, others may comment.
While mine is not my “go to” bike, I do ride it frequently. It rides nicely on the local “State Trail” that is crushed and packed limestone. I have 27x1 1/4” tires that do well on the limestone as well as the local county roads. While the bike is pretty much “no frills” the SunTour “Asymmetric” top mount down tube shifters are kinda unique. If properly set up, the front derailleur is “trimmed” as the rear derailleur moves from cog to cog. Obviously, the trimming function doesn’t shift from the large ring to the small ring or vice versa but does take away the need for small adjustments to keep the FD from rubbing on the chain. Cool idea if nothing else. I don’t think that mine is “properly” set up yet but I DO intend to make that happen for the upcoming biking season.
Post progress on the project as it progresses.
Likes For sovende:
Old 12-27-22, 11:20 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
sovende I've never done but yes if you can find a shop that hase the kit and the knowledge it's a pretty simple operation

XxHaimBondxX Interesting looking bikes. What's marked on the back of the crank? I'm betting it's a SR crankset.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-27-22, 05:40 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
sovende I've never done but yes if you can find a shop that hase the kit and the knowledge it's a pretty simple operation

XxHaimBondxX Interesting looking bikes. What's marked on the back of the crank? I'm betting it's a SR crankset.
Old 12-27-22, 06:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Sugino and I believe the model is VP, shouldn't too hard to find something suitable

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-28-22, 06:47 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Sugino and I believe the model is VP, shouldn't too hard to find something suitable
I'm planning to tap it with helicoil and loctite the heck out of it, pedal too. If/when that fails I'll look for replacement crank arm.

New issue- the seat post spins, but doesn't come out. Hopefully it's my height. Would like to keep that setup without damaging, apparently that Turbo saddle goes for $200-300, which I would never recoup in selling the bike.
Old 12-28-22, 06:39 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Well, someone did this to the post. Strained my back, but was able to knock it out.

Old 01-02-23, 08:04 AM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It looks like that seat post was not inserted far enough to be safe anyway. The crank arms are Sugino, though I don't know which particular model.
Old 01-02-23, 09:09 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by Needles
It looks like that seat post was not inserted far enough to be safe anyway. The crank arms are Sugino, though I don't know which particular model.
they couldn't stick 27.2 post in there, so they cut it and shoved what fit. BTW, the proper size is 27.0 mm, correct?
Old 01-02-23, 09:51 AM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Correct. The seatpost is 27 mm, as far as I can tell. Mine's fluted, so the reading is a little unstable on my digital micrometer.
Old 01-05-23, 05:09 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by Needles
Correct. The seatpost is 27 mm, as far as I can tell. Mine's fluted, so the reading is a little unstable on my digital micrometer.
unfortunately, 27.0mm didn't fit either! I'm thinking 26.6. Will have to wait for another Wednesday and find something smaller at our bike rescue. On the upside, found a similar Sugino crank arm and Shimano pedal.
Old 04-30-23, 12:08 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Update, bike turned out to be quite a looker, but I couldn't get used to riding position so I listed it and it was just sold.