Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Barcons: maintenance and adjustment

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour Barcons: maintenance and adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 01:59 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
But really, most any wide-blade screwdriver can work. If the shaft of the bolt intrudes, preventing the screwdriver from staying seated in the slot, you can make a custom tool by filing or grinding a slight recess in the center of the blade, leaving just enough unmolested on either side of the recess.
I found that any screwdriver wide enough to engage most/all of the width of that nut, was too thick to fit in the slot. So, I ended up not only grinding a notch/slot in the center of the blade, but also grinding it thinner. Worked great afterward, however!

Old 03-22-24, 03:13 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
I found that any screwdriver wide enough to engage most/all of the width of that nut, was too thick to fit in the slot. So, I ended up not only grinding a notch/slot in the center of the blade, but also grinding it thinner. Worked great afterward, however!
Well you're done so it's too late for advice (and you don't need it anyway) but I thought I'd mention hollow-grinding, the best shape for screwdriver tips. Less tendency to cam-out, more grip at the bottom of the slot. Most often used by gunsmiths and clock makers (which I am not) but good any time the appearance of the screw matters, i.e. when you don't want upsets in the metal around the slot. You grind it on a wheel; almost any wheel diameter will do. Results in concave ground faces, and the driver sides are parallel at the business end rather than a wedge shape.

Here's a somewhat cartoonish and technically incorrect drawing, advertising some brand I never heard of, but I think it gets the idea across.

You can buy them already hollow-ground, but I just grind my own, on a bench grinder or on the contact wheels of the belt-sander. Don't heat-blue them — grind lightly with frequent dunks in water. Usually takes under a minute.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-25-24, 12:54 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I haven't seen any YT ads since I started using Brave as my browser. It's based on Chromium, which is open-source I believe? So it's similar to Chrome, but not made by Google. Its main claim to fame is that it's more security- and privacy-oriented, they don't sell your eyeballs like Google does.

I don't know how it blocks YT ads, they don't seem to advertize that as a feature, but it's a nice bonus. YT has not retaliated against me in any way. Maybe they'll find a way around the ad blocking, but so far so nice.
If I recall, Brave calls their ad / malware blocker "Shields Up". Look for a shield icon up near the top of the browser window somewhere. I think you can turn it on/off per site.
Old 03-27-24, 11:51 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Looks like you had all the YouTube’s and diagrams available, but a trick I picked up was phone pictures.

take off a part, snap a picture, repeat.
then you have a photographic record of all your steps.
sometimes, If I’m really nervous I take two pictures per step, with the part on the assembly, and then again off the assembly.
it’s worked great for motorcycle carburetors.