Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mass start rides in 2021?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mass start rides in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 09:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Yeah I hear what you’re saying. Totally agree, these forums need to be more light-hearted and less serious all the time. Problem is that oftentimes some individuals can’t take the same type of humor they like to hand out without starting a fight.
Yeah, sadly I do resemble that sometimes. I'm trying though!
Old 03-29-21, 09:40 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't some of your friends get a little snarky to lighten the conversation when you are sitting around pondering life and other things?

This really isn't any different. Take it with humor as it was likely intended. Whether bad humor or not.
It's definitely hard to tell in text form but I agree. Good point, now if I can just keep that in mind more often.
Old 03-29-21, 09:41 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
No, that was not humor. That was accusation.
Hard to tell if he meant it that way, but I doubt it.
Old 03-29-21, 07:35 PM
streetstomper

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by m2244
Hard to tell if he meant it that way, but I doubt it.
So explain the humor to me in saying you're not interested so you shouldn't ask.
Old 03-29-21, 07:40 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Were there any events in the U.S. or Canada with tens of thousands of riders at the start line, even before COVID?
30,000 or so for the five boro tour would seem to fit "tens of thousands" criteria, unless you're going to get into the detail of them having split it into (3 ?) phased starts...
Old 03-31-21, 09:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Lets not forget most everyone that wants a virus shot by July 1 should have been able to get one.
Old 03-31-21, 10:09 PM
streetstomper

Originally Posted by rydabent
Lets not forget most everyone that wants a virus shot by July 1 should have been able to get one.
How do you ensure that everyone on a large ride has been vaccinated? There are a lot of people who refuse to do so. A poll last week had 1 in 2 Republican men saying they will not take the vaccine. Also, the Five Boro and the Tour of Montreal don't just attract Americans or Canadians. Besides, vaccination isn't 100% effective. A Long Island woman got both doses of the Moderna vaccine and thought she was safe. A month later, she attended a wake with a small number of family members and behaved like it was 2019. No mask and she hugged people. Within days, she developed symptoms. I'm not saying I would avoid such rides, but the incredibly grave conditions in NYC last spring might make city officials a bit leery of risking another large outbreak until the pandemic is more under control.

There's definitely a lot of uncertainty around the Tour of Montreal. Their website hasn't been updated in almost a year and registration is not open despite the event being only two months from now. The Canadian government is being extremely cautious. Only Canadians and essential travelers are allowed into the country for at least another few weeks, even if you're vaccinated. Canadians reentering the country must undergo a mandatory two-week quarantine, even if you're vaccinated or recovered. Those restrictions will likely be extended and an official says that even if the border is reopened, the quarantine requirement will probably continue for some time.
Old 04-25-21, 12:27 PM
streetstomper

Looks like the Tour of Montreal definitely won't be happening this June. With little more than a month before the planned date, the third wave of the pandemic is in full force around Canada and the premier of Quebec is pushing for even tighter travel restrictions beyond the closed US-Canada border. He even recommends Quebecois avoid traveling to other Canadian provinces. Vaccination rates in Canada lag way behind the US, so they're in no hurry to expose themselves to possibly infectious Americans.
Old 04-25-21, 02:05 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
The Pan Mass Challenge (www.pmc.org) is hosting a few mass start routes. I'm riding the century on August 8th that starts and ends at Babson College in Wellesley, MA (USA). No idea how many riders will be on that route, but could be a few thousand.
Old 04-25-21, 03:52 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
How do you ensure that everyone on a large ride has been vaccinated? There are a lot of people who refuse to do so. A poll last week had 1 in 2 Republican men saying they will not take the vaccine. Also, the Five Boro and the Tour of Montreal don't just attract Americans or Canadians. Besides, vaccination isn't 100% effective. A Long Island woman got both doses of the Moderna vaccine and thought she was safe. A month later, she attended a wake with a small number of family members and behaved like it was 2019. No mask and she hugged people. Within days, she developed symptoms. I'm not saying I would avoid such rides, but the incredibly grave conditions in NYC last spring might make city officials a bit leery of risking another large outbreak until the pandemic is more under control.

There's definitely a lot of uncertainty around the Tour of Montreal. Their website hasn't been updated in almost a year and registration is not open despite the event being only two months from now. The Canadian government is being extremely cautious. Only Canadians and essential travelers are allowed into the country for at least another few weeks, even if you're vaccinated. Canadians reentering the country must undergo a mandatory two-week quarantine, even if you're vaccinated or recovered. Those restrictions will likely be extended and an official says that even if the border is reopened, the quarantine requirement will probably continue for some time.
Lets keep the one sided political narratives to CNN.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-25-21, 05:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
streetstomper is there any way possible for you to keep politics out of this thread please?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-25-21, 06:38 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Lets keep the one sided political narratives to CNN.
"One-sided political narrative" that includes, on one side, people who won't get vaccinated but, on the other side, the fact that being vaccinated isn't fool-proof.

Unless by "one-sided" you mean that one political side in America is the vaccine-hesitant side. That's the fault of facts (Republicans 6x more likely to say "definitely not" to a vaccine than Democrats), not the poster.
Likes For guachi: