Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help identify right freewheel/cassette tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-22, 09:29 AM
Venturiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, everybody!
Recently, I was donated a Trek 800 Mountain Track ('95-ish, I think) and I decided to grease some of the moving parts. After taking off the rear wheel I was horrified by the poor maintenance the previous owner did (read as: did not do) to this bike (swapped the original 6 speed freewheel for a a 7 speed DNP EPOCH but kept the 6 speed Shimano SL TY-31 thumb shifters, hub axle sticking out way too much to the left with barely and thread left on the drive side, stripped nuts, misinstalled spacers and so on).

What other tool(s) do I need in order to disassemble the freewheel (I want to rebuild it), apart from Park Tool's FR 1.3? It has this weird looking "lockring" on top of the inner ring (which you could unscrew with a pin spanner).
As I am out of town at the moment, here is a picture I found on the internet of the exact DNP freewheel the bike currently has. The lockring in question is the brass colored one with "LY-1007-KF EPOCH INDEX SPROCKETS [...]" text on it. Do I need a particular tool or does it unscrew with the smallest cog if I use 2 chain whips?
I am well aware this was an entry level bike back in the days and no amount of work and/or upgrades can turn it into the ultimate MTB experience, but it will make for a good learning experience.
Thank you!

PS: I cannot post pictures as I don't have 10 posts, yet. Will edit ASAP.
PPS: I added photos, yey!

Last edited by Venturiano; 05-13-22 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 05-08-22, 11:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...oto-heavy.html

​​​​​​
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-08-22, 01:03 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Most times freewheels can be soaked in some type of cleaning agent, I use kerosene as it is what I usually have around the garage for my kerosene heater. If it sticks, give it a good soak as oil could be gummed up, maybe a few days to a week, then oil it up while spinning it by hand. Drop oil so it can work its way into the bearings, do this until it spins nice and quiet. Although I have taken them apart in the past, sometimes it is such a pain that its not worth it, if its dead, get another one. My experience has been the soaking/cleaning and re-oiling works just about all the time. Your call, good luck.
Likes For Steelman54:
Old 05-10-22, 12:38 AM
Venturiano

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the freewheel I have. A couple more posts and I can post pictures. Yay!
Thank you all for your time and replies.
Old 05-10-22, 06:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Venturiano
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the freewheel I have. A couple more posts and I can post pictures. Yay!
Thank you all for your time and replies.
Those come apart a bit differently

​​​​​​https://www.endless-sphere.com/forum...ic.php?t=62844
Old 05-10-22, 06:50 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Some Shimano freewheels require different rebuild style than say, a hub. In most ball bearings rebuilds, the bearings are stuck into the races with grease, and the cone surfaces are “inserted” into the bearings/ race to re assemble. On some of the Shimano freewheels, the outer bearings (those closest to the drop out) can be stuck into the race, but the inner bearings (those nearest the hub flange) seem to load better if they are stuck to the cone surface of the inner free wheel body and then lowered into the cog half of the freewheel.
This has been the case for me, but I defer to Pastor Bob’s encyclopedic knowledge of freewheels. His experience might be more model/ era specific than mine. Maillard /Atom free wheels and Suntour free wheels seem to assemble just fine by loading the bearings into the race surfaces, like a hub.
Old 05-13-22, 10:37 AM
Venturiano

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys, I finally managed to add photos of the said freewheel.
Old 05-15-22, 08:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

​​​​​​