Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I remove the freewheel from a 1973 Schwinn Collegiate wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How do I remove the freewheel from a 1973 Schwinn Collegiate wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 08:48 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
OK, well then learn this. A freewheel has no bearing on a wheel's OLD or how it's dished. If the wheel you're trying to put on the Collegiate is off-center, there is no freewheel in the world that is going to fix that. You need to start with a wheel that fits, and then worry about the freewheel.

Observe that most people here are telling you that freewheel is toast and should be thrown away, so you should have learned that also.
Toast? Because it has some superficial oxidation? I never insisted the freewheel in anyway affects dish or centering. I only pondered if it might because i didnt know and it has 6 sprockets instead of 5. I see nothing wrong with trying the original matched freewheel that came with the crank in 73.
Old 08-18-23, 09:07 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by smd4
Yep. It is a bike forum. And you've been given two pages of advice and suggestions, including links to the correct, specific tool you need. You claim in post 16 that money isn't important ("If I spend $100 so what?"), yet you are unwilling to purchase the tool you need for $40 and are instead looking for an $8 kludge tool that may or may not work. If you had the proper tool, this job could have been accomplished in 30 seconds. Removing a freewheel isn't any more difficult that unscrewing a wheel nut. There's really nothing to learn. That's why most people, if they don't already own the tool, just pay a couple bucks to have a bike shop do it. There's literally no mechanical aptitude necessary.

There was no need for this thread to get to two pages. Removing freewheels isn't rocket science, and yet you are making it into one of the most difficult bike repairs imaginable. Why?

What more information do you need to remove the freewheel?
There is debate as to what the correct tool is. Credible references and testimony have been given but you have chosen to ignore them.

I didnt say money isnt important. I said the budget is $100. Another example of how you imagine what you want to fuel your emotions.

Before I understood the ease of freewheel removal, others made comments suggesting it was difficult, not me. I only was seeking the right tool.

Based on the totality and credibility of the references, lack of importance, and significant cost difference, I will be ordering the FR-4 for $7.95.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 08-18-23, 09:20 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding why, if you're replacing the entire wheelset, you are even bothering with that rusty old freewheel.

That has nothing to do with whether the wheel is centered in the frame, at all. The rear wheel should sit centered between the dropouts either with or without any freewheel installed. In fact, you should take the one off the donor wheel and see how the wheel fits in the Collegiate then. It sounds like something's off.

What is the rear spacing? Is it 120mm? Unless the frame is bent, any properly dished 120mm wheel, with just about any 5 speed freewheel should fit. That old freewheel should be recycled along with the wheels, and zero dollars should be spent removing it.
126mm
Old 08-18-23, 09:39 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
There is debate as to what the correct tool is. Credible references and testimony have been given but you have chosen to ignore them.
Um...if anyone is choosing to ignore things, it's definitely you.

I didnt say money isnt important. I said the budget is $100. Another example of how you imagine what you want to fuel your emotions.
You most certainly DID NOT state that was your "budget." Which is why I quoted you--and which I will do so again: "If I spend $100 so what, its entertainment for me and I have somethign to show for it and talk about when Im done." I don't see the word "budget" anywhere. So who's doing the imagining?

Based on the totality and credibility of the references, lack of importance, and significant cost difference, I will be ordering the FR-4 for $7.95.
Sounds good.
Old 08-18-23, 11:21 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
126mm
And what is the new wheel?
Old 08-18-23, 12:07 PM
Jeff Neese

Toast? Because it has some superficial oxidation? ......
Surface oxidation? That's hilarious. We can all see the condition of the rims, the spoke protector, and the freewheel. That wheel (and probably the entire bike) has been sitting outside in the weather, for a long time. Your first picture shows that the rims are even rusted on the inside. What do you think the inner workings of that freewheel look like?

Considering that a new one is $20 and would shift more smoothly anyway, I have to again question why. You say you want to learn, but part of what you learn working on bikes for a while is to exercise good judgement and common sense. You're not picking up on that.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 08-18-23 at 12:36 PM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-18-23, 12:19 PM
Jeff Neese

.....That's why most people, if they don't already own the tool, just pay a couple bucks to have a bike shop do it.
One time I needed to get a freewheel off a new bike (my vintage Fuji, I think) but didn't own a 4-prong Suntour tool. The 2-prong wasn't going to work, and my LBS was closed. I took it up to REI and they did it while I waited, and didn't charge me anything. I still don't have that tool - I wasn't going to put that freewheel back on so I didn't need it.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-18-23, 04:55 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Um...if anyone is choosing to ignore things, it's definitely you.

You most certainly DID NOT state that was your "budget." Which is why I quoted you--and which I will do so again: "If I spend $100 so what, its entertainment for me and I have somethign to show for it and talk about when Im done." I don't see the word "budget" anywhere. So who's doing the imagining?

Sounds good.
I most certainly did NOT state "money doesnt matter" did I? So you just inserted what you wanted me to say along side what I actually said and made it your own but ascribed it to me? Look at the context of my threads on this collegiate project you will see that $100 is the budget. Money certainly does matter. and what do you have to say to all the references and testimony that the FR-4 IS in fact a correct tool and not any kind of "kludge" ? John has plainly shown in his photos that there are even other tools specifically indicated for these freewheels and they also have "square" teeth and not triangular ones, and yet they are the tools specified by official sources. Things are not always as they seem. There is no need to be annoyed or frustrated when someone (me) looks objectively into a subject (freewheel removal tools) they are new to.
Old 08-18-23, 05:05 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

And what is the new wheel?
134mm
That is outside of locknuts. OLD Is this the right way to measure it?

The original Schwinn wheel is 126mm. There is a washer that slides in a groove on one side of the axel on the stock schwinn and none on the other side. If there is supposed to be one on the other side also then it would be 128mm. Must it be exact or is 8mm too much difference in width? Can it be widened?
If the fork can be widend by 12mm and the rear can be widened by 8mm, then I can use these wheels. Otherwise I have to use the stock hubs and learn how to build them into the new wheel rings. How much shorter are the new wheels from the original wheels in mm? I want to run 1.5" or 1.75" city tires which I know they make for this size rim.

The fork is 89mm and the new front wheel is 101mm. I dont know what the original stock wheel is on the front.

Last edited by BikePower; 08-18-23 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 05:50 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
FR- 4 remover will work just fine.
Went and dug a wheel out, I had the FR-4
The OLD on this 1974 LeTour wheel is 120

Last edited by Schweinhund; 08-18-23 at 05:58 PM.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 08-18-23, 06:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Per Sheldon-
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-18-23 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 06:03 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the park tool is only $8. but how much is the satisfaction of doing it yourself worth? its something fun to do and you learn something new. I saw this poor green 73 collegiate 5 speed and I dont know.. I just felt sorry for it and wanted to save it. ... If I spend $100 so what, its entertainment for me and I have somethign to show for it and talk about when Im done. I mean we all love bikes right? Besides Im going to put alloy wheels and hybrid tires on it, upgrade the brakes and maybe get rid of the stick shift on the stem and weld on a shifter boss on the down tube (heck I dont know).
lesson #1... that seller will add at least $5.75 for shipping, OR MORE.... you want to learn, learn that shipping is extra from that place.

Lesson #2... learn that no matter what John gets away with in his well equipped shop, FR-4 Park Tool is NOT the correct one for your rusty Schwinn Approved Normandy freewheel with Pyramid Shaped splines... and the wheel you're currently intending on trying to force into your Schwinn frame Won't Fit, no matter what Freewheel your put on it.... At least not without a Different Axle in it and the proper Spacers to make the wheel center up in your extremely heavy bike frame.

do you own Cone Wrenches yet? you'll be needing them
Have you actually MEASURED the 5 sp., FW yet? How about measuring the 6sp. FW .... Realize that they are just about the Same Width, when you include that silly extra weight that is meant to keep the chain from coming off the small end of the FW......... so your entire reason for removing the 5sp. FW is mute, no matter what tool you choose.

Lesson #3... CHANGING FREEWHEELS WON'T MAKE HUB ASSEMBLIES NARROWER..

Lesson #4... ". If I spend $100 so what, its entertainment for me and I have somethign to show for it and talk about when Im done."

Busted.

Last edited by maddog34; 08-18-23 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 06:07 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by maddog34
lesson #1... that seller will add at least $5.75 for shipping, OR MORE.... you want to learn, learn that shipping is extra from that place.

Lesson #2... learn that no matter what John gets away with in his well equipped shop, FR-4 Park Tool is NOT the correct one for your rusty Schwinn Approved Normandy freewheel with Pyramid Shaped splines.
see picture above. fit just fine. I was pretty sure it would until someone said it wouldn't. I had to check. it does fit.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 08-18-23, 06:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
see picture above. fit just fine. I was pretty sure it would until someone said it wouldn't. I had to check. it does fit.
I could go with triangle, but pyramid?
Old 08-18-23, 06:18 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I most certainly did NOT state "money doesnt matter" did I? ... Money certainly does matter. .
Yes, it's exactly what you said. You said this--and I again quote: "If I spend $100 so what,..."

If English is your second language, then I'll forgive you for not knowing that the common meaning of the words "so what" are "IT'S NOT IMPORTANT" or "I DON'T CARE."

Last edited by smd4; 08-18-23 at 06:27 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-18-23, 06:22 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Lesson #2... learn that no matter what John gets away with in his well equipped shop, FR-4 Park Tool is NOT the correct one for your rusty Schwinn Approved Normandy freewheel with Pyramid Shaped splines... and the wheel you're currently intending on trying to force into your Schwinn frame Won't Fit, no matter what Freewheel your put on it.... At least not without a Different Axle in it and the proper Spacers to make the wheel center up in your extremely heavy bike frame.

do you own Cone Wrenches yet? you'll be needing them
Have you actually MEASURED the 5 sp., FW yet? How about measuring the 6sp. FW .... Realize that they are just about the Same Width, when you include that silly extra weight that is meant to keep the chain from coming off the small end of the FW......... so your entire reason for removing the 5sp. FW is mute, no matter what tool you choose.

and one more thing... Lesson #3... CHANGING FREEWHEELS WON'T MAKE HUB ASSEMBLIES NARROWER..

lesson #4... ". If I spend $100 so what, its entertainment for me and I have somethign to show for it and talk about when Im done."

Busted.
You just proved I never said "money doesnt matter". So actually you just busted yourself. LOL Yes it means I dont care if it costs $100. Thats not the same as saying money doesnt matter. If you said, "money doesnt matter so long as it doesnt exceed $100" then you would be right but that doesnt fit your narrative so you left that part off.

You kep going on about freewheels and narrowing hubs as if I insisted or stated as fact or argued a point. I never made such an argument. I did mention in passing that I wondered if a 6 sprocket is wider or somehow made the hub assembly wider. I did wonder that at one point but it certainly is not a point of contention or argument on my part. Once again, you are jousting windmills and stabbing strawmen. To quote a famous song writer.. "That aint me babe. no no no... that aint me.. that aint me youre looking for .... babe."

Yes I have a few wrenches that have found their way onto my toolboard over the years. I dont know if I have the right size. I will upload a pic shortly of all my hodgepodge of bike tools.

Last edited by BikePower; 08-18-23 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 06:30 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Finally found a pair of glasses, mine is Japan manufacture and his is France. but the cutouts look right
Old 08-18-23, 06:39 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

...do you own Cone Wrenches yet?
Heres all my bike tools.

Old 08-18-23, 07:16 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

You just proved I never said "money doesnt matter". So actually you just busted yourself. LOL Yes it means I dont care if it costs $100. Thats not the same as saying money doesnt matter. If you said, "money doesnt matter so long as it doesnt exceed $100" then you would be right but that doesnt fit your narrative so you left that part off.

You kep going on about freewheels and narrowing hubs as if I insisted or stated as fact or argued a point. I never made such an argument. I did mention in passing that I wondered if a 6 sprocket is wider or somehow made the hub assembly wider. I did wonder that at one point but it certainly is not a point of contention or argument on my part. Once again, you are jousting windmills and stabbing strawmen. To quote a famous song writer.. "That aint me babe. no no no... that aint me.. that aint me youre looking for .... babe."

Yes I have a few wrenches that have found their way onto my toolboard over the years. I dont know if I have the right size. I will upload a pic shortly of all my hodgepodge of bike tools.
yah.. whatever... i'm diggin' the M/C axle wrench that also can drive the cheesy spark plug sockets in the tool kits...... i have one in the garage, wrapped with a couple feet of duct tape... it's mixed in with the $50K or so other tools i've bought over the years........... my bike tools are a very small part of the collection...

Psst.. this isn't a competition, and i never said that you said "money doesn't matter."... not that it matters.

smh.

curious.. what do you use the 22mm scw for?
Old 08-18-23, 07:27 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
there's a lot of different triangles, and pyramid is funner to type that equilateral.
Pyramids aren't equilateral, btw.... the Giza limestone heaps were built at 59 deg........

wait.. are you....... Anti-Egyprtian?
do you cringe when people chant "Ra, Ra, Ra!" ?
Old 08-18-23, 07:28 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

yah.. whatever... i'm diggin' the M/C axle wrench that also can drive the cheesy spark plug sockets in the tool kits...... i have one in the garage, wrapped with a couple feet of duct tape... it's mixed in with the $50K or so other tools i've bought over the years........... my bike tools are a very small part of the collection...

Psst.. this isn't a competition, and i never said that you said "money doesn't matter."... not that it matters.

smh.

I saw it at a garage sale for a dollar and thought it was a good deal. I have no idea what parts of what model bike it would be used on. Scw? Im assuming you mean the blue handled park 22mm wrench. I dont know what scw is.

update scw is shop cone wrench.

I have a lot of automotive tools and home repair tools.

Last edited by BikePower; 08-18-23 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 07:34 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

smh.

oh ya. maybe that was smd, i lumped you together at one point when you were both jumping on me from the top rope. sorry about that.
Old 08-18-23, 07:39 PM
maddog34

oh ya. maybe that was smd, i lumped you together at one point when you were both jumping on me from the top rope. sorry about that.
be aware thast we are trying to help you not waste your time on that 5 sp freewheel you're wanting to throw cash at.... and also be aware that your 135mm O.L.D. Rear wheel won't fit in your frame no matter what freewheel you screw onto it.

Lesson #5... i'm out.. i'm sure someone will be along to encourage you to coldset that green bike to fit that donor wheel.

question: are the forks the flat Bladed ones, or a rounder, tube-like profile?

ps.. those seats hurt my seat. Below is an old style schwinn black leather seat rider...
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/5V...UJi5kFTzmC.jpg

Last edited by maddog34; 08-18-23 at 08:02 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-18-23, 07:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
there's a lot of different triangles, and pyramid is funner to type that equilateral.
Pyramids aren't equilateral, btw.... the Giza limestone heaps were built at 59 deg........

wait.. are you....... Anti-Egyprtian?
do you cringe when people chant "Ra, Ra, Ra!" ?
Old 08-18-23, 07:55 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

be aware thast we are trying to help you not waste your time on that 5 sp freewheel. you're wanting to throw cash at.... and also be aware that your 135mm O.L.D. Rear wheel won't fit in your frame no matter what freewheel you screw onto it.

Lesson #5... i'm out.. i'm sure someone will be along to encourage you to coldset that green bike to fit that donor wheel.

question: are the forks the flat Bladed ones, or a rounder, tube-like profile?

ps.. those seats hurt my seat. Below is an old style schwinn black leather seat rider...
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/5V...UJi5kFTzmC.jpg
yes I appreciate your time. thanks. The forks are flat bladed. Do you think cold setting can increase the width by the amounts I need or is that extreme?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.