Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 08:48 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I'm tiptoeing between the sand castles, here in the intellectual desert currently passing for General Cycling. It requires a great deal of my attention. Thank you for noticing.
At least they're not invading C & V......yet.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-11-24, 09:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Old 02-11-24, 10:09 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Ok, so at this point I’m more of a runner than even a retrogrouch cyclist on a cheap steel single speed, but even I really enjoyed this interview with a very knowledgeable person who repairs a lot of carbon fiber frames each year. Lots of insights on the tech, the history, and issues to consider.

Otto
Old 02-11-24, 10:55 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
With 40 argumentative and disruptive posts over just two days if anyone is having a Shining moment you should perhaps look in the mirror.
Old 02-12-24, 12:17 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
With 40 argumentative and disruptive posts over just two days...
...I kinda knew you were on the OCD spectrum, but you made a numerical list ? I am impressed.
Old 02-12-24, 04:00 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
dogmatic /dôg-măt′ĭk, dŏg-/

adjective

1. Relating to, characteristic of, or resulting from dogma.
  2. Asserting or insisting upon ideas or principles, especially when unproven or unexamined, in an imperious or arrogant manner.
  3. Characterized by such assertion, often with an unconsidered rejection of criticism.
    "a dogmatic adherence to a single educational model."
Why does this post make me self conscious about wanting a Pinarello Dogma now. I am even cautious about saying what it is made of /jk
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 02-12-24, 04:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
C&V is a place where we can pretend that everything was much better BITD without having to worry about learning new things. Our vintage bikes are the GOAT. We can literally pretend it is still 1985 in that little bubble. Nobody is going to invade.

The problem is if we venture back out into 2024 with the attitude that everything is dire in the present day and everyone is stupid. Suddenly we are old and nobody seems to agree with our opinions about bikes and pretty much anything else. We have lost touch with the present at that point and as I grow older I try hard to avoid that fate. I learn new things, I listen to younger people and show them some respect. I try not to become too cynical. I know some people much older than me who do this too and they seem to thrive much better than their more cynical peers.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-12-24, 05:54 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by PeteHski
C&V is a place where we can pretend that everything was much better BITD without having to worry about learning new things. Our vintage bikes are the GOAT. We can literally pretend it is still 1985 in that little bubble. Nobody is going to invade.

The problem is if we venture back out into 2024 with the attitude that everything is dire in the present day and everyone is stupid. Suddenly we are old and nobody seems to agree with our opinions about bikes and pretty much anything else. We have lost touch with the present at that point and as I grow older I try hard to avoid that fate. I learn new things, I listen to younger people and show them some respect. I try not to become too cynical. I know some people much older than me who do this too and they seem to thrive much better than their more cynical peers.
The real problem here is some of the "newer is always better" is becoming aggressive and trying to snuff out any discussion that might be about old gear. Of course you guys see it the other way around. That's what 3A and some of the others are noting. This thread is about comparisons between old and new. But now, someone can start a simple thread in General with a subject like "what's the best 8 speed cassette to get" or "I need a new set of rim brake pads" and you guys swoop in to tell the person what a fool they are for keeping the old stuff and not upgrading. It doesn't matter how many times the person says his/her current equip is good enough. Again the newer side thinks it's the opposite with the "old timers" invading the threads, but I see a lot more of it the other way around. "It works good enough for my riding needs" is not an acceptable answer for you guys. You'll fight the fight no matter the subject as long as it's old vs new. Again, you'll see it as the other way around, but it's not that way in General.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-12-24, 06:21 AM
PeteHski

The real problem here is some of the "newer is always better" is becoming aggressive and trying to snuff out any discussion that might be about old gear. Of course you guys see it the other way around. That's what 3A and some of the others are noting. This thread is about comparisons between old and new. But now, someone can start a simple thread in General with a subject like "what's the best 8 speed cassette to get" or "I need a new set of rim brake pads" and you guys swoop in to tell the person what a fool they are for keeping the old stuff and not upgrading. It doesn't matter how many times the person says his/her current equip is good enough. Again the newer side thinks it's the opposite with the "old timers" invading the threads, but I see a lot more of it the other way around. "It works good enough for my riding needs" is not an acceptable answer for you guys. You'll fight the fight no matter the subject as long as it's old vs new. Again, you'll see it as the other way around, but it's not that way in General.
I can’t speak for others, but I certainly don’t do any of that. I just point out when people are talking complete nonsense about newer stuff. Like for example some guy in an article saying that choosing a carbon bike is a “mistake”. I’m old enough to have started riding when 5-speed cassettes were cutting edge. I’ve seen and experienced first hand every major development since then and it has been nearly all positive.
Old 02-12-24, 06:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I can’t speak for others, but I certainly don’t do any of that.
Defensive much?
Old 02-12-24, 06:28 AM
seypat

I can’t speak for others, but I certainly don’t do any of that. I just point out when people are talking complete nonsense about newer stuff. Like for example some guy in an article saying that choosing a carbon bike is a “mistake”. I’m old enough to have started riding when 5-speed cassettes were cutting edge. I’ve seen and experienced first hand every major development since then and it has been nearly all positive.
You must have forgotten that discussion we had about triples and modern spaced cassettes for 120-130 spaced frames right before Shimano introduced their CUES? system. You should go back and reread that thread. I can’t remember what the name of the thread was though, too bad.
Old 02-12-24, 06:35 AM
PeteHski

You must have forgotten that discussion we had about triples and modern spaced cassettes for 120-130 spaced frames right before Shimano introduced their CUES? system. You should go back and reread that thread. I can’t remember what the name of the thread was though, too bad.
Why would I want to read about triples again? If you do find it then be sure to quote anything that I wrote suggesting that triples are not adequate for your personal riding needs.
Old 02-12-24, 06:35 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by smd4
Defensive much?
Trolling much?
Old 02-12-24, 06:50 AM
seypat

Why would I want to read about triples again? If you do find it then be sure to quote anything that I wrote suggesting that triples are not adequate for your personal riding needs.
That the point. You have no interest in triples, but you had to enter the thread and talk about how much better 1x or 2x was and how people shouldn't be riding triples.(In a thread about triples, no less) In the process, you told me how idiotic it was to even suggest that the component companies should make modern spaced systems for the people out there that have 120-130 frames for whatever reason.
Old 02-12-24, 07:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
The real problem here is some of the "newer is always better" is becoming aggressive and trying to snuff out any discussion that might be about old gear.
Please show examples.
Old 02-12-24, 07:35 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Koyote
Please show examples.
I just showed you one with the discussion between Peter and I. I'll have to dig up that thread and some others. It will take some time because I'm on the way to work now.
Old 02-12-24, 08:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
I just showed you one with the discussion between Peter and I. I'll have to dig up that thread and some others. It will take some time because I'm on the way to work now.
I politely disagree: you have not shown us an example.

I'm not saying that I don't believe your assertion; rather, I just won't consider it until I see evidence (rather than hearsay).
Old 02-12-24, 08:24 AM
PeteHski

That the point. You have no interest in triples, but you had to enter the thread and talk about how much better 1x or 2x was and how people shouldn't be riding triples.(In a thread about triples, no less) In the process, you told me how idiotic it was to even suggest that the component companies should make modern spaced systems for the people out there that have 120-130 frames for whatever reason.
I don't think I would have worded it anything like that. I might have suggested that it is not commercially viable to develop triples at this point. Especially not to pander to those who don't tend to even buy new bikes! You are just making this stuff up to support your silly rant.

Meanwhile there are plenty of old duffers stating that 1x is idiotic. Or 2x12 or whatever other modern gear, like carbon frames, tubeless tyres, disc brakes, etc, etc. It wouldn't take much effort to dig up examples of that.
Old 02-12-24, 08:31 AM
PeteHski

Actually, one thing I do recall (I could be wrong) about that thread was your personal issue with long throw Shimano brifters. I actually agree with that point and might have suggested how good electronic shifters are in that regard. But no way did I tell you to ditch your 3x system in favour of anything new. I don't care what you ride, but will defend my own choices of gear. Especially when some clowns suggest it's all just marketing bs (not you btw, I can't remember if you are in that little clique or not)
Old 02-12-24, 09:27 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I don't think I would have worded it anything like that. I might have suggested that it is not commercially viable to develop triples at this point. Especially not to pander to those who don't tend to even buy new bikes! You are just making this stuff up to support your silly rant.

Meanwhile there are plenty of old duffers stating that 1x is idiotic. Or 2x12 or whatever other modern gear, like carbon frames, tubeless tyres, disc brakes, etc, etc. It wouldn't take much effort to dig up examples of that.
I had to go and check and the word "obsolete" was thrown around a lot by more than one poster.

I found some of the statements somewhat on the strong side (triples belong in the dustbin of history, dt shifters are obsolete etc).

The thing is, especially in touring triples are still the only way to get wide enough range for loaded riding. Low range or high range aren't the issue but combining both and it's triple or nothing.

But with modern components and the absolute manure field of varying cable pull ratios, in order to make a triple work you might need to resort to a front friction shifter. If I wanted grx brakes and rear cluster for my tourer my options would be
A) mismatched brake levers
B) front friction shifter
C) a mtb double chainring, double shifter and a cable pull converter from shimano road to shimano mtb.

Sometimes there reasons beside vintage fanaticism..
Old 02-12-24, 09:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I had to go and check and the word "obsolete" was thrown around a lot by more than one poster.

I found some of the statements somewhat on the strong side (triples belong in the dustbin of history, dt shifters are obsolete etc).

The thing is, especially in touring triples are still the only way to get wide enough range for loaded riding. Low range or high range aren't the issue but combining both and it's triple or nothing.

But with modern components and the absolute manure field of varying cable pull ratios, in order to make a triple work you might need to resort to a front friction shifter. If I wanted grx brakes and rear cluster for my tourer my options would be
A) mismatched brake levers
B) front friction shifter
C) a mtb double chainring, double shifter and a cable pull converter from shimano road to shimano mtb.

Sometimes there reasons beside vintage fanaticism..
Well it's what I would call a niche market. Is that fair?
Old 02-12-24, 09:53 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Well it's what I would call a niche market. Is that fair?
Well technically touring bikes aren't a niche market in the EU, but admittedly european touring bikes aren't drop bar bikes so there's less issues with component compatibility.

Perhaps not a fair comparison, but I still posit niche doesn't equal obsolete.

that being said, it'd be real cool, if there were say, electronic shifters that you could program to an extent so you could easily mix and match different types of cranksets. Eg. use a mtb double with a road e-shifter. I'm not hopeful triples and e-shifters are ever going to be a thing...
Old 02-12-24, 10:11 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Well technically touring bikes aren't a niche market in the EU, but admittedly european touring bikes aren't drop bar bikes so there's less issues with component compatibility.

that being said, it'd be real cool, if there were say, electronic shifters that you could program to an extent so you could easily mix and match different types of cranksets. Eg. use a mtb double with a road e-shifter. I'm not hopeful triples and e-shifters are ever going to be a thing...
That's a terrific idea. First time I've seen anyone make that suggestion. Instead of having to fuss with cable tension, you'd adjust the travel of the front derailleur in (sub-)millimeter increments in software in a GUI.

Or simply select "Learn" among the programming choices in the on-bike software and then press the shifter button while riding until the derailleur completes the shift. After a few repetitions, the software will have zeroed in on the optimal travel distance for each cassette sprocket choice.
Old 02-12-24, 10:23 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts

I don't mind anyone paying for and enjoying the newest tech. What I object to is the attitude that anyone is somehow ill equipped without it. My opinion is that "obsolete" will more likely apply to anything with E in it over time than anything mechanical simply because the E part will have stopped functioning long ago. I seriously doubt any of the electronic derailers will still be operational in 20 years, and my fear of them is that they won't last and function perfectly for even 5. If I could spend a couple thousand every couple years for replacement parts as easily as I can spend a couple hundred, I would own some of the newest tech. More power to you if you can.
Old 02-12-24, 10:39 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I don't mind anyone paying for and enjoying the newest tech. What I object to is the attitude that anyone is somehow ill equipped without it. My opinion is that "obsolete" will more likely apply to anything with E in it over time than anything mechanical simply because the E part will have stopped functioning long ago. I seriously doubt any of the electronic derailers will still be operational in 20 years, and my fear of them is that they won't last and function perfectly for even 5. If I could spend a couple thousand every couple years for replacement parts as easily as I can spend a couple hundred, I would own some of the newest tech. More power to you if you can.
Have no fear, 9100 series Di2 has been running smoothly for over seven years and that the 9000 series has been reliable for 12 years. This kind of track record is indeed reassuring for users, indicating that the technology has proven to be durable and dependable over an extended period.

Electronic shifting systems, like Shimano's Di2, have received positive feedback for their precision, responsiveness, and overall performance. As with any technology, occasional issues may arise, but it seems that the 9100 and 9000 series have demonstrated a high level of reliability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.