Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Hi normal FD

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour Hi normal FD

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 10:43 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Suntour Hi normal FD

Does the “Spirt” have enough range for a triple?

Did any of the Suntour Hi normal front derailers have enough range for a triple?

Thank you.

ETA, I didn’t know if I should ask here or in mechanics.

Last edited by SkinGriz; 09-21-23 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-22-23, 12:42 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
There was a Suntour XC high-normal FD in the eighties that could definitely shift a triple.
Old 09-22-23, 05:54 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Does the “Spirt” have enough range for a triple?
I don't think I have one in my parts box(es), but I've got a Cyclone on my half-step-plus-granny triple, and there's no issue. I'd expect the other SunTour derailleurs to have the same geometry.

I've never used a high-normal front derailleur on a triple, but did have one on a double a long time ago.
On my half-step-plus-granny triple, the jump from the 26 tooth ring to the 46 is pretty big and takes a bit of extra force to get it up there. There's a chance that the spring of the high-normal derailleur might not be strong enough.

I've had the opposite problem when I was a bit late and tried to downshift from the 46 to the 26. To make progress up the hill, I had to keep some force on the pedals, and the derailleur spring wasn't strong enough to push the chain off of the chainring. The problem is solved by paying attention and shifting earlier on the hill, fortunately. It did get me thinking about how it is sometimes better to not rely on springs to make the hard shifts.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-22-23, 07:08 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
I've got an SL hi-normal shifting a triple on my Pug TH8 tandem.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 09-22-23, 07:12 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
I have used the Compe V with a triple with no issues.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 09-22-23, 10:31 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
The Spirt should have more than enough lateral range. The cage seems designed (as most of them were back then) to throw about a 52-40 double. Back in the day, I used Spirts and SLs for half-step plus granny triples, and like most derailleurs & chainrings of the time the low-middle upshift involved a small leap of faith, exacerbated by the fact it was just the return spring applying pressure and not cable tension. Still used them.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-22-23, 11:43 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Thank you everyone.
Old 09-23-23, 03:31 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
The Spirt should have more than enough lateral range. The cage seems designed (as most of them were back then) to throw about a 52-40 double. Back in the day, I used Spirts and SLs for half-step plus granny triples, and like most derailleurs & chainrings of the time the low-middle upshift involved a small leap of faith, exacerbated by the fact it was just the return spring applying pressure and not cable tension. Still used them.
Like Betamax, high normal is probably better - for longevity of both shifters and chainrings..
The major wear of the cage occurs on upshifts, and you can push harder than that on the cage with a low-normal via the cable = faster wear.
There will be places around the circumference where upshifting is easier (due to relative tooth-spacing [1]) and a sprung-action may "wait" for the next such spot - reducing wear on the teeth.
Huret used this to effect with the later versions of their front mech, which had an inner cage-plate with a sprung nose.

[1] Don't know about you but I like the upshifts to happen at particular points in the leg motion and had a machine that was particularly bad where I wanted it to be good; after removing and re-installing the outer ring rotated one arm it improved noticeably.
Old 09-23-23, 11:21 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 191 Posts
My Suntour XC works just fine on a Triple